Question 4: What Are We Drinking and What Are We Talking About?

Old Oct 31, 08, 10:38 am
Founder of FlyerTalk
Original Poster

Question 4: What Are We Drinking and What Are We Talking About?

submitted by kokonutz
We're going down to the pub for a few pints:
1) What are we drinking, and

2) Other than travel, miles, points and FlyerTalk, what are we talking about?
Old Oct 31, 08, 10:39 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
anything
Old Oct 31, 08, 10:46 am

An easy question!

Beer. And when in China Baijiu.

As to the second part you've lost me. we're meant to talk about other things in life? Probably basketball and teaching.
Old Oct 31, 08, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen View Post
submitted by kokonutz

Great question by the OP!

Though I favor vodka (screwdrivers when I'm flying, vodka martinis straight-up with extra olives when I'm not), I tend to favor the drinks (and food) of whatever locality in which I find myself. If the pub is in the UK, it's a pint of lager.

As for what we're talking about, I think the two OMNIs contain a reasonable selection of my conversation topics.
Old Oct 31, 08, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If we're going for a few pints, I prefer Heinekin or Amstel - however, as I'm not much of a beer drinker, I'd rather go with a whiskey sour or a rum & coke - but drink whatever you like and however much you'd like, I don't judge - everyone has an addiction to something!

As for our conversations, well, it started out with some trip storytelling about that thing we did back then and how so-and-so reacted to it & wasn't it funny when this happened - but don't forget that thing - yeah, that was bad...but not too bad...well, I guess it was bad in a good way...in a funny good way - not in a ha-ha funny way, but in a weird funny way...anyways, I'm digressing...what were we talking about again?
Old Oct 31, 08, 11:42 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

1) Not much of an alcohol drinker here - except on planes and ships it seems like

2) Whatever topic comes to mind.
Old Oct 31, 08, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I'm not driving afterward, it'll be either a Carbomb, a Bomb Pop (Blueberry Vodka, Lemonade, Grenadine...can't find it on the web), or most likely, a Long Island Iced Tea.

If I am driving, it'll probably be either a Fat Tire or Molson Canadian (only one or two).

We're talking sports. Having worked for three professional sports franchises (and one minor league), I can share some good stories ESPN doesn't carry.

Of course, with it being happy hour you're going to see and hear a bunch of PDAs, so we're likely going to chat about those and technology in general.
Old Oct 31, 08, 12:30 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
IPA

Remember that time in London that we...
Old Oct 31, 08, 12:46 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
submitted by kokonutz

Thanks for the fun question, koko. I'll be drinking Monster energy drink. I never got used to the taste of alcohol. Or coffee for that matter. So Monster is as strong as I go, but enough of it can make you pretty goofy.

When the subject wanders from travel, it might settle on family or sports cars or economics or whatever's in the news. But it'll be back to travel soon, sharing favorite spots and memorable experiences.
Old Oct 31, 08, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
Well it depends on if your buying the first round or not?

1. Depends on the time of day and year. If its a summers afternoon then a nice pint of Magnairs Cider is just the thing.........

2. Now, the part about talking. You see the thing is that with one pint of cider we can have general chit chat, when we get to about 8 pints then we are in the middle of world politics, eyeing up the females that we know would not give us a second glance and running back and forward to the bathroom since 8 pints is a lot more than most people can hold..... (then again that might be a little too much information) and thinking what curry house we are heading for or maybe which place does the best kebabs.....
Old Oct 31, 08, 1:34 pm

I think personal questions such as these should be off-limits for the debates. It is nobody's business but my own as to what I choose to drink and discuss, and I am not willing to publicly comment on these issues. Sorry.
Old Oct 31, 08, 4:09 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
1. Red wine. Good red wine. Possibly a spicy red zin if we're staying with US domestic wines. A vino nobile or super tuscan if we're heading overseas.

2. Still thinking about that red wine. Give me a moment.

Probably either politics (from a political science standpoint, not debating views), or the economy. And, of course, the New York Giants.
Old Oct 31, 08, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA - GL, Disgruntled ex LH HON
submitted by kokonutz

This is a great question!

1)
Rose Champagne if it's the LH First Class Terminal or BA Concord Room... disserano with orange juice if it's a business lounge and any souer drink at a restaurant.

2) what? there are other topics to talk about? couldn't be...

d
Old Oct 31, 08, 5:24 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
depends on who's driving...

If mr. squeakr is driving then I get to drink Domaine Carneros Unoaked Chardonnay (I am in California after all)

What we're talking about depends on who's drinking....but usually food, travel , and politics not in that order.
Old Oct 31, 08, 8:18 pm

Programs: UAL- 1k, Marriot Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Plat.Hilton Gold VIP
What leatherheadiowa is drinking and talking about.

submitted by kokonutz

1. I am a very big fan of Templeton Rye. It is a small batch whiskey made in Templeton, Iowa. It is a recipe nearly 200 years old that the Catholic priests from the Templeton- Carroll, Iowa area. It is a very smooth sipping whiskey.
When on the job, I am an unsweetened ice tea fan. When traveling in south of the Mason-Dixon line I often get a rude awakening upon asking for an iced tea.

2 What I am talking about...
I am talking on the phone to my 5 year old son. He is in kindergarten and I love to hear each day how great school was and how much he misses me. I always tell him I am out helping his "Uncle Sam". At some point he may expect a birthday or Christmas gift from Uncle Sam!

I am also talking about fiscal responsibility. There is nothing worse than waste; especially money. At work I am spending YOUR money (tax money). I am always on the prowl to save a dollar. I have found some great ways on FT.
For an example, after being informed that Marriott had a great club lounge and provided evening snacks and breakfast I no longer claim dinner or breakfast when I stay at a full service Marriott. I figure I save $30 a day, times 150 days a year I am usually out on the road, saves taxpayers $4500 per year. Our response team typically all does this as well.
I am proud to say I am talking about doing the right thing and loving my son and wife!
If my son could read this he would tell you, Vote for my dad, Leatherheadiowa!

Search this Thread