FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TalkBoard Elections/08 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-elections-08-653/)
-   -   Question 2: Female Candidates (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-elections-08/883635-question-2-female-candidates.html)

Randy Petersen Oct 31, 2008 8:31 am

Question 2: Female Candidates

submitted by missydarlin
I don't know if this qualifies as a debate question ... but i'd like to know how many of the candidates are female.

Radioman Oct 31, 2008 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen (Post 10607054)
submitted by missydarlin
I don't know if this qualifies as a debate question ... but i'd like to know how many of the candidates are female.

Does it really matter in a world of equality? There are currently 25 people standing for election. I have looked at a few of the profiles and there is nothing to suggest if the person is male or female.

I have just checked and I can say that I am certainly not a female.......:D

LessO2 Oct 31, 2008 8:46 am

Depends how the surgery goes tonight. :D

Radioman Oct 31, 2008 8:54 am

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 10607151)
Depends how the surgery goes tonight. :D

Can you please clarify? Will that be one more or one less woman? :D

danielbk Oct 31, 2008 9:00 am

submitted by missydarlin

My wife says i'm the only man she knows who adores musicals and has more creams, deodorants and colons then her in the closet - so the answer is actually quite confusing if you ask her...

Seriously though - i think it is great that today it does not matter... FT is full of woman but at the end of the day i can't think of major issues related solely to woman (or man) in the forum.

D.

phillipas Oct 31, 2008 9:18 am

FT handles can either male, female or neutral. And FTers can be male, female or... well it doesn;t really matter as long as there are miles and points in the account.

Originally Posted by Radioman
I have just checked and I can say that I am certainly not a female.......:D

I'm posting from a public place in Glasgow at the moment so checking probably isn't the best of ideas! :D Assuming that acceptable conduct in Glasgow is the same as most places! ;)

Things were definitely dangling this morning in such a way as to suggest I'm a chap though!

Pizzaman Oct 31, 2008 9:25 am

Well, I'm not female. :D

I'm not sure this issue matters to me personally, but I could understand why a balance might be good, possibly in terms of decided on new fora. I think diversity in general would be more important than just a balance of men and women.

squeakr Oct 31, 2008 10:18 am

I appreciate the question.

Especially as it's coming from one of the most equitable FT'ers around.
I confess I only know the gender of some of the other candidates - it never occurred to me to ask.

I also confess I am a female, and further confess that I'd like to see some sort of gender balance on the TB. (As well as geographical, age, and biz vs leisure traveler balances)

GK Oct 31, 2008 10:19 am

irrelevant

PTravel Oct 31, 2008 10:52 am

submitted by missydarlin

Does it really matter? One of the wonderful things about FlyerTalk is that, unless someone deliberately discloses, we have no idea of the gender, race, national origin or sexual orientation of anyone who posts here. Everyone is taken at face value and judged only by the quality of their posts.

With that said, I have often enough posted about Mrs. PTravel, so there's little point in being coy -- I am male.

bhatnasx Oct 31, 2008 10:58 am

I'm a guy, however I did dress up like a woman for Halloween once. :) The heels did kill me...

peteropny Oct 31, 2008 11:40 am

I'm not a woman :)

nsx Oct 31, 2008 12:46 pm

submitted by missydarlin

FTers tend to be road warriors, and road warrior tend to be men. A substantial majority of our volunteer moderators are men, but the several women moderators are outstanding. More to the point, I have noticed no pattern of women having one style or viewpoint and men having another. We're all individuals.

Vote for the person, not for the sex. Maybe I should rephrase that... :D

Spiff Oct 31, 2008 6:43 pm

Number of female candidates? My guess is N, where N is an integer. :)

Spiff's candidacy does not directly increase the value of N. ;)

leatherheadiowa Oct 31, 2008 8:02 pm

Excellent question regarding female candidates!

submitted by missydarlin

Though I am not a female, I can sympathize with female FT, and female travelers as a whole. While I believe that in many instances men and women are treated equally, I do think travel is an area where women get the proverbial "shaft".
My wife asked if there was an area for women on FT. I asked why. She wanted to know if anyone could tell us where a lactation (breast feeding) room was in airports.
While I couldn't find any information, I was amazed that this wasn't brought up. While talking with my wife she asked why there are more men's restrooms, and a few other unnoticed things that cater to men.

I think that women need an outlet and we owe a lot to women, I wouldn't be asking for your vote today without my mother!:)