Wiki Posts
Search

Question 14: Forum Autonomy, Inclusive Events

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2007, 8:52 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I don't think the TalkBoard should regulate how inclusive/exclusive an event that others plan...nor should they really drive the conversation of who should be included or not or how such a get together should be promoted online.
Good point. We may be debating yet another issue over which TalkBoard doesn't and shouldn't have any say so.

DO's have been inclusive because our benevolent dictator said they should be and, as I stated previously, I don't personally have any problem with this position. But its probably not something under the purview of the TalkBoard.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
In real life, however, one does not publish a notice of a private party in the paper.

Private parties are fine, but FT is not the vehicle to announce or discuss them. The second that a party is mentioned on FT, it must include everybody, and yes, IMHO, that includes the moderator DOs. It still boggles my mind that the moderators go to such great lengths to avoid general member input. Even Starwood, United and Bank of America are constantly asking me what I think about their service. Why not the FT moderators?

I have served on the Parish Council for my church, which is about as close to FT as we can get--several thousand active members and that really is all that Ft can honestly claim (the 153,000 number just represents those who have passed through, not those who are really members of the community) . People serve on the Parish Council and communicate by phone or during private lunches, dinners, etc., but the meetings are open to everyone who cares enough about the community to show up and put in their two cents. That is the way real communities work. That is what we need.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 2:17 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by Punki
In real life, however, one does not publish a notice of a private party in the paper.

Private parties are fine, but FT is not the vehicle to announce or discuss them. The second that a party is mentioned on FT, it must include everybody, and yes, IMHO, that includes the moderator DOs. It still boggles my mind that the moderators go to such great lengths to avoid general member input. Even Starwood, United and Bank of America are constantly asking me what I think about their service. Why not the FT moderators?

I have served on the Parish Council for my church, which is about as close to FT as we can get--several thousand active members and that really is all that Ft can honestly claim (the 153,000 number just represents those who have passed through, not those who are really members of the community) . People serve on the Parish Council and communicate by phone or during private lunches, dinners, etc., but the meetings are open to everyone who cares enough about the community to show up and put in their two cents. That is the way real communities work. That is what we need.
If you don't think the Parish Council also has private meetings that AREN'T open... you're fooling yourself. As for moderators avoding input; since when? Moderators are members first. We receive Emails and PMs just as you do. Perhaps if you tried contacting the moderators you take issue with you might have a better result? I'll follow up with the rest of my response on a more appropriate thread as it truly isn't germane to either forum autonomy or FT 'dos.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Punki

Eh, I don't know. I really don't want to be part of a gathering where I'm not wanted. I also don't mind people advertising via a thread even if it's a restricted meeting, although this could jeopardize the community feel around here, which is the main reason I said "me too" upthread.

In other words, I'm not really sure this is a topic I can get all excited about. But I'll continue to think about it going forward and would seek out member feedback to see if this is important to the regular, active members of FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.