Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question 4: Purview Over Policies of Moderation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:35 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I love FT, but at the end of the day, IJAFIBB. If Randy says he's going to be around 3.5 years, well, that's a long, long time IMO -- let's worry about that 3 years from now.
Oh, I agree.

Or, we could assume that Randy, being a somewhat smart guy, may already have a plan in place, and that by extension, neither you, I, or any other Talkboard candidate could possibly have a better idea about what the man is going to do than the man himself.

I'm amazed, above and beyond the timeframe in question, that people are planning for Randy's demise without having ask Randy if he himself has planned for his demise.

Wanton hubris, I say.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:41 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Oh, I agree.

Or, we could assume that Randy, being a somewhat smart guy, may already have a plan in place, and that by extension, neither you, I, or any other Talkboard candidate could possibly have a better idea about what the man is going to do than the man himself.

I'm amazed, above and beyond the timeframe in question, that people are planning for Randy's demise without having ask Randy if he himself has planned for his demise.

Wanton hubris, I say.

...especially given that many making the most noise may not be on TalkBoard by then even if elected this cycle. Three years is at leat three elections from now!
Old Nov 6, 2007, 4:30 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Originally Posted by flyertalk
This question submitted by member ElmhurstNick:
Randy has stated on multiple occasions over time that the TB does not and will not have purview over policies of moderation. Yet each year, candidates insist on building campaign themes around changing moderation or suspension policies! Why do you think candidates take this approach?
I had to go back to page 1 to remind myself - What is the question?

My answer is simply if we do not have purview over "policies of moderation" then I don't need to address the issue. Why do candidates build campaigns around the issue? I didn't know this occurred in the past as a significant campaign issue.

I had several years of past experience in the early 1990s working with bylaws, rules, and resolutions for the California Teachers Association and National Education Association as a member of organizational policy-making boards. I have a graduate degree in labor relations. It sounds like this is an issue that would benefit from clearly defined guidelines delineating roles within the organization.

FlyerTalk is also a for-profit business, so if we are told that an issue is not in our domain of influence, then "that is what it is".
Old Nov 6, 2007, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Oh, I agree.

Wanton hubris, I say.
We couldn't agree more. Randy owes us nothing and has given us quite a bit. Whatever he plans on doing, I'll wish him well when the time comes.

I am a high school sports official part time and I have contracts for games in 2010. I don't understand why people plan so far in advance. I could be dead or unable to officiate by then. And yet people want to be able to solidify the future....which is so very fluid....
Old Nov 6, 2007, 4:54 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
It's impossible to legislate moderation since it's impossible to come up with rules that will apply to each situation. With the TOS, it gives guidelines for the moderators and a basis for their decisions. The key is in the selection process to find appropriate moderators and once selected to make sure that the TOS are generally kept.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 5:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
This question submitted by member ElmhurstNick:
Randy has stated on multiple occasions over time that the TB does not and will not have purview over policies of moderation. Yet each year, candidates insist on building campaign themes around changing moderation or suspension policies! Why do you think candidates take this approach?
Hi
Well I have already made my views known about moderation, as somene who has taken part in a few elections on TB I must say that this issue of moderation always comes into play.

Like I keep on saying each person will view moderation differantly, we will never ever agree on what we all read or the actions of the moderators.

I do hope that we can move away from this constant theme of moderators and talk about other things during the elections.

regards
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Moderation

This question submitted by member ElmhurstNick: Why do you think candidates take this approach?
I think some candidates may take this approach because they or the FlyerTalk community may not know the difference between the role of the moderators and the TalkBoard.

Ultimately, the Board needs to ensure great dialog and debate happens throughout the forums. I don't believe in over-moderation and over-legislating of what can or can't be written about. Rather than offer up more rules and procedures for moderators to follow, I believe the Board should do what it can to work with the moderators to ensure consistency.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:14 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I think some candidates may take this approach because they or the FlyerTalk community may not know the difference between the role of the moderators and the TalkBoard.

Ultimately, the Board needs to ensure great dialog and debate happens throughout the forums. I don't believe in over-moderation and over-legislating of what can or can't be written about. Rather than offer up more rules and procedures for moderators to follow, I believe the Board should do what it can to work with the moderators to ensure consistency.
I think part of the TB's job is clearly defining their intentions to moderators: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....9&postcount=90
Old Nov 11, 2007, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
ClueByFour writes:

Actually, I have asked, twice. Once in a private e-mail and once here:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753955

Still awaiting an answer.

I think that everyone who has a position of responsibility should make plans for their own demise or retirement or just moving on to do something else.

It will take at least three years to put together a real plan, figure out how it will work and then implement it. I may be the only one who sees this and, if that is the case, no one will vote for me and I can just go back to flying and playing all around the world.

Hunki is even now encouraging me to hurry up and get ready so we can run downstairs and catch our ride to AKL for our flight to SYD. Sorry I didn't get a chance to address all of the questions, but travel comes first.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 8:37 pm

Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by Punki
ClueByFour writes:

Actually, I have asked, twice. Once in a private e-mail and once here:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753955

Still awaiting an answer.
Yeah, but you did it after starting a campaign assuming that you (or anyone else) either was asked and/or needed to plan for it.

And perhaps there is a reason that you are still awaiting an answer: you don't need to be privy to the answer. Or Randy does not feel you need to know. Or maybe Internet Brands wants to keep the wraps on it. Or maybe Randy won't really be "gone" in 3.5 years.

You don't know, but that did not stop you from "starting to plan." I think we know why--more on that in a second.

I think that everyone who has a position of responsibility should make plans for their own demise or retirement or just moving on to do something else.

It will take at least three years to put together a real plan, figure out how it will work and then implement it. I may be the only one who sees this and, if that is the case, no one will vote for me and I can just go back to flying and playing all around the world.
You are the only one who made the assumption that Randy does not already have a plan in place. You are the only one who has assumed that Randy (or Internet Brands) would ask the Talkboard for input, much less be a part of whatever the solution is. You are the only one who is automatically assuming that Randy will be out in exactly 3.5 years--I understand that's not necessarily what either Randy and/or Internet Brands think, but you chose not to ask either until after the campaign began.

Question: why don't you trust the man who built Flyertalk from the ground on up to the wonderful place it is today to plan for his own succession? Can we actually assume it has nothing to do with the suspension he mentions above?

Because you might understand why the average reader might be able to find more than a passing connection between the two. Unrequested planning for a plan to succeed the man who issued one a lifetime suspension strikes me as more a bit transparent.....
Old Nov 12, 2007, 1:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Actually, Clue you are, once again, quite wrong. I asked the question when I presented my platform to Randy, before I decided to run for TalkBoard.

While the vast majority of FlyerTalk moderation is above board and well intended, there is that small bit that falls into the category of misuse of power. That is wrong, pure and simple. How those errors are handled is important to me and should be important to every FlyerTalker. If even one poster is handed an undeserved death penalty, that is unacceptable.

That is not the kind of community that we are or have ever been, and I hope that that is not the type of community that we will ever be.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 1:48 am

Actually, Clue you are, once again, quite wrong. I asked the question when I presented my platform to Randy, before I decided to run for TalkBoard.
Really? You asked Randy on 5-November which was well after these debates began, and certainly after you decided to run. Or that's what we can verify, anyway. I'd expect that if this was a weighty concern, that you would have found use of the "Only Randy Petersen" forum to ask somewhat earlier. You have 474 posts in "Only Randy Petersen." I'm curious: with such a heavy and important issue, why wait this long to ask?

But let's assume the benefit of the doubt: here is what you said (a few posts above) you asked (a whole week before):

One of my most serious concerns is what will happen to people who are "Banned" when you are no longer around to reinstate them
Not, "hey, got any plans?" but "hey, what happens to people who are banned?"

What's funny about this is that I'd think the more pressing question should have been "what happens when you are not around to ban people anymore," don't you?

I have a plank in my platform that says "In the past few years, there has been somewhat of a swing on the TB towards advancing the "pet projects" of the individual members (some of which have no realistic chance of ever happening). I think that misses the point."

I really think we can take this whole "planning for Randy's demise" thing and lump it into "pet project of individual members."

Last edited by ClueByFour; Nov 12, 2007 at 2:01 am
Old Nov 12, 2007, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kanebear
While it may have been established for that reason, it was expanded due to concerns over moderation. Full thread here. Incidentally I'm saddened to learn you haven't and won't have time to answer the questions posed on "Question 2" as I'm sure your potential voters would like to know as well.
I like your sig. We could call it "how to call someone a liar while skirting the TOS."

Again, Cholula earlier posted evidence that anything that happens outside of FlyerTalk is supposed to stay there. Is that going to be ignored, too?

I'm amazed that people try to tell candidates what is and what is not a valid platform (for almost 2 weeks now) and then try to use something posted on another forum to "get" another candidate, even though that is expressly forbidden as part of the debate rules.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 7:35 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I like your sig. We could call it "how to call someone a liar while skirting the TOS."

Again, Cholula earlier posted evidence that anything that happens outside of FlyerTalk is supposed to stay there. Is that going to be ignored, too?

I'm amazed that people try to tell candidates what is and what is not a valid platform (for almost 2 weeks now) and then try to use something posted on another forum to "get" another candidate, even though that is expressly forbidden as part of the debate rules.
Glad you like it. I simply felt voters should know which candidates are campaigning on issues far outside their mandate (that they have no control over, as the scope of talkboard is set outside that body's control). Thus, these candidates are stating that their primary focus will be on aspects of FlyerTalk totally outside their control, which all but ensures little to no meaningful TalkBoard business will get done.

As for items off FlyerTalk; there's a world of difference between dredging up some aspect of a candidate's personal life totally unrelated to FT and what you reference.

I did not attempt to find a candidate in the sex-offender database and post that information to discredit them. That would be out of bounds, full stop.

This is nothing of the sort. FlyerTalk and MoreMiles have not-infrequent crossover. Candidates have referenced FT from MoreMiles and MoreMiles from FT. Thus, this happened on FlyerTalk and is directly related to FlyerTalk and core aspects of candidates' campaigns. It is necessary to ensure the electorate is as informed as possible. I merely point to what candidates have said as well as their actions.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kanebear
Glad you like it. I simply felt voters should know which candidates are campaigning on issues far outside their mandate (that they have no control over, as the scope of talkboard is set outside that body's control). Thus, these candidates are stating that their primary focus will be on aspects of FlyerTalk totally outside their control, which all but ensures little to no meaningful TalkBoard business will get done.

As for items off FlyerTalk; there's a world of difference between dredging up some aspect of a candidate's personal life totally unrelated to FT and what you reference.

I did not attempt to find a candidate in the sex-offender database and post that information to discredit them. That would be out of bounds, full stop.

This is nothing of the sort. FlyerTalk and MoreMiles have not-infrequent crossover. Candidates have referenced FT from MoreMiles and MoreMiles from FT. Thus, this happened on FlyerTalk and is directly related to FlyerTalk and core aspects of candidates' campaigns. It is necessary to ensure the electorate is as informed as possible. I merely point to what candidates have said as well as their actions.
Regardless of your justification, it's against the rules:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...28&postcount=1

I hope that voters note the irony that some people are trying to discredit and derail serious and spirited debate by saying some topics for discussion should be out of bounds while using tactics clearly and specifically outside the rules of this campaign.

Personally, I'd be more interested in the sex offender registry information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.