Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question 18: Who Else Should Have Run For Office?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2006, 8:19 am
Founder of FlyerTalk
Original Poster

Question 18: Who Else Should Have Run For Office?

This question was submitted by GUWonder:
Which five FlyerTalkers not running for TalkBoard in this election would you vote for if they were to be running and why would you vote for each of them?

Last edited by Randy Petersen; Nov 8, 2006 at 11:48 am
Old Nov 8, 2006, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
None of us who will attempt to answer this question will truly feel comfortable with it because we don't know all our members. Hence, we are restricted to choosing from among those we do know well.

I am going to cut down my possibilities by eliminating anyone who has ever served on TalkBoard (or even ran for it but was not elected). This is not because I don't think they would not be valuable but because I know the question of running again will always be in their minds and I would prefer to plant the seed elsewhere.

BEYFlyer: He tops my list. He and I were merely cyberacquaintances before the recent fighting. We are now very strong cyberfriends and I look forward to the day that I can drop the "cyber" from that word. Friendship, however, is not why I want him on TalkBoard -- respect is. BEYFlyer posted while under heavy Israeli attack (much stronger than the attacks I experienced from Hizbollah) yet managed to report what was happening fairly and without rancor. If he can put his emotions aside under such circumstances, the impartiality and logical approach he would bring to TalkBoard would be a tremendous asset to FlyerTalk.

Canarsie: His contributions to FlyerTalk are legendary and can not be overestimated. (His puns, unfortunately, are also legendary but can be overlooked.)

Student Explorer: If he sees this he will probably have a tremendous shock. He and I have agreed on almost nothing -- and probably will continue to disagree. Still, I have to admire the logic with which he presents his arguments (even if I reject his conclusions).

Mikel: I don't even know if he would be eligible as he is employed by the House of Miles, but I got to know him fairly well when the activity on the "FlyerTalk scoops the world" thread was at its peak. His dedication to his work was impressive enough -- the fact that he was able keep his sense of humor was extra icing on the cake.

Bart: Well, with this endorsement I can kiss at least 100 votes goodbye -- Bart works for that most hated of all government agencies, the TSA. (Clarification: It is the "most hated" by Frequent Flyers. Overall, I think the IRS has it beat by a mile in the race for the most despised.) Bart has shown the intestinal fortitude not only to remain on FlyerTalk despite coming under extremely heavy fire but has also established a thread on Travel Safety & Security called the "Ask Bart Thread" in which he answers questions about TSA procedures and rules. The fact that it currently has 808 posts is a strong indication of how helpful it has been to F/Ters.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure that I can answer this question - I wouldn't want to vote for anyone who didn't want to be here & didn't want to serve.

There are a variety of people on FlyerTalk that are great contributers - but I would only want people who want to be here to be here.

And I apologize if this sounds like a "cop-out" answer!
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
So if I hear what bhatnasx is saying, he only wants people who want to be here to be here, and he is saying it right here, here and now?

Actually, I'd like to parrot his response. I don't know if I can pick anyone who should have run. If people want to be on the Board, they will run. There are so many ways to contribute and give back to this community, and TalkBoard is only one of those ways.

And finally, I just wanted to say here again.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure how to answer the question. I believe that the beter question would be who would one want to serve on the TB with perhaps?
Old Nov 8, 2006, 3:38 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
While there are some people I would love to serve with, they have made a personal choice to not run for office. I even asked a few about putting their name in the hat.

I do not feel it appropriate for me to put names out... what the members have is a slate of candidates who want to serve the membership... take a decision from that group... and not wish others were in the running.

William
Old Nov 8, 2006, 5:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
Hi

Well as others have stated this is a hard question to answer and I don’t think I can give you a positive full answer to it and what I might say may look like a pile of old codswallop as I am finding it hard to put into words.

I don’t want too name names and give reasons why, I don’t think that I should have to as it’s a very personal thing and might embarrass the people I name, but what the heck that’s just my opinion.

Regards
Old Nov 8, 2006, 6:19 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
None. If they cared enough to serve, they would have been on the ballot. We have a fine slate of candidates.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
I'm not sure that I can answer this question - I wouldn't want to vote for anyone who didn't want to be here & didn't want to serve.

There are a variety of people on FlyerTalk that are great contributers - but I would only want people who want to be here to be here.

And I apologize if this sounds like a "cop-out" answer!
It's my answer, too. Even more of a cop-out cause I didn't even take the time to type it myself!
Old Nov 8, 2006, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I would hope that everyone who wanted to be on TalkBoard completed an application during the open application period. As far as who else should have run, I'm happy with the candidate slate... and if I wanted to encourage others to run, I would have done so during that period.

(I'm running, btw, because I was encouraged by a few folks... so if their desire matches that of the rest of the community then I consider that to be a good match!)
Old Nov 9, 2006, 6:39 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by ingy
None. If they cared enough to serve, they would have been on the ballot. We have a fine slate of candidates.
Even me?
I agree also. If they wanted to serve, they would be here discussing and debating their ideas.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 7:19 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
GUWonder, because he is amazingly insightful in all his posts and questions.

Bart, a usually-sane voice being drowned out in a sea of insanity.

Matt Wald and A Freak because that would have made a very interesting Triumverate.

missydarlin, a good friend and one of the best TalkBoard members I've had the pleasure of serving with.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Humm. There are quite a few, but as others have said, if they don't want to run, for whatever reason, then they really shouldn't run.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
I don't know any other members well enough to say. I am a member, and I haven't schmoozed around enough with other members to say. I haven't been out pre-politicking, I am just interested in being a board member, minus good-ole-boy system behind me.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I'm happy that no one else is running; it's bad enough finishing in 22nd place, my ego couldn't stand finishing 90th.

On the other hand [HTTPTAG]lusername[/HTTPTAG] is an excellent poster, and would make a fine addition to the TalkBoard, and I would wholeheartedly vote for him/her/it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.