FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   Will this connection work in Zurich? [merged] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/987732-will-connection-work-zurich-merged.html)

linsj Aug 23, 2009 12:11 am

Will this connection work in Zurich? [merged]

Is this doable?

Arriving from Munich in Zurich on Lufthansa at 8:00 and then transferring to Swiss for a 9:35 departure. The Swiss flight is the only one that day, so I can't miss it. From what I've read, I don't have to go through customs, right? Is this enough layover time? Would it be better to fly into Zurich the day before, so I don't have to deal with a possible late flight and missing my connection?

This is compounded by the fact that the MUC to ZRH flight is part of a UA itinerary and the Swiss flight is a separate booking.

alex0683de Aug 23, 2009 12:44 am

You will not have to do through customs during your connection, but you may have to pass through immigration, depending on what your final destination is.

If your destination is within the Schengen zone (Switzerland recently joined the Schengen treaty), no immigration check is needed. If your destination is outside Schengen, you will have to go through passport control since you are exiting the Schengen zone at ZRH.

In general, one hour and 35 minutes is plenty of time for a connection in ZRH, especially if you use the transfer desks to check in airside.

totti Aug 23, 2009 5:47 am

I agree with Alex. 1:35h is plenty of time and shouldn't be a problem. At least I'd not worry about such a connection.

linsj Aug 23, 2009 7:51 am

Thanks for the responses.

Since I'm heading to Nairobi from Zurich, I'll have to go through passport control. What exactly is that?

jms_uk Aug 23, 2009 11:42 am

Originally Posted by linsj (Post 12268936)

Since I'm heading to Nairobi from Zurich, I'll have to go through passport control. What exactly is that?

They will check if you've been in Switzerland/Schengen legally :)

I would be a little bit concerned, mainly because you are on two separate tickets.

linsj Aug 23, 2009 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by jms_uk (Post 12269695)
I would be a little bit concerned, mainly because you are on two separate tickets.

Concerned about time or the two tickets? I can't book the Swiss flight on UA.com.

mcgahat Aug 23, 2009 12:38 pm

I would think you could just do online check in to get your boarding pass for the flight leaving ZRH. Should be plenty of time. I have never visted the transfer desk at ZRH though so do not know how that process ranks.

alex0683de Aug 24, 2009 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by linsj (Post 12268936)

It's an exit check for your departure from the Schengen zone. I'm guessing that you will arrive in Europe somewhere (probably Munich, right?) and go through entry immigration there.

In Zurich, you will be subject to Schengen exit immigration, which basically means that they'll take a look at your passport, scan it through their computer, possibly stamp it and send you on your merry way. This process is usually fairly quick, so no major hassle.

As for the transfer desk in ZRH - checking in there is usually a very efficient process, and they have the added advantage of being able to check you in even if the regular check-in deadline has elapsed, so even on separate tickets you've got plenty of time.

linsj Aug 25, 2009 4:46 am

alex0683d, thanks for your detailed explanation. I'll be spending a few days in Munich before flying to Zurich to get to Nairobi. It always helps me to know what to expect before gettting there.

bulkhead Sep 28, 2009 4:07 am

Is 1 hour 10 mins enough to transfer BHX-ZCH-NRT?

I’m looking at booking connecting flight BHX–ZCH–NRT. The Birmingham flight is scheduled to arrive at 11:50, with the departing Tokyo flight at 13:00. Is 70 mins enough time for the transfer? Would I have to pass through passport control or security? I'd have hand-baggage only.

TIA

pilatusguy Sep 28, 2009 5:01 am

No problem!
You'll be drooped in the Transfer D area (BHX will be a bus gate), walk straight ahead to reach the train to the E-Gates from where your NRT flight will depart. Should not take more than 30 minutes.
Security check = Yes.
Immigration = No.
Passport-Check = Yes, upon boarding.

Cheers,
pilatusguy

bulkhead Sep 28, 2009 5:48 am

Thanks for such a speedy & helpful response.

As someone who has never flown LX before, may be permitted to ask an obvious question (to which I probably know the answer, but here's hoping!) - What of the chances of getting the new business class on the ZCH-NRT leg in early October?

TIA

Hennessy Sep 28, 2009 5:58 am

Originally Posted by bulkhead (Post 12448827)
Thanks for such a speedy & helpful response.

As someone who has never flown LX before, may be permitted to ask an obvious question (to which I probably know the answer, but here's hoping!) - What of the chances of getting the new business class on the ZCH-NRT leg in early October?

TIA

Sorry, but chances are rather slim.

NewbieRunner Sep 28, 2009 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Hennessy (Post 12448852)
Sorry, but chances are rather slim.

Actually nil. ZRH-NRT is beyond the range of the A330 AFAIK and I don't think any A340 with new business seats is in service yet.

BobBHX Sep 29, 2009 1:42 am

Originally Posted by bulkhead (Post 12448663)
I’m looking at booking connecting flight BHX–ZCH–NRT. The Birmingham flight is scheduled to arrive at 11:50, with the departing Tokyo flight at 13:00. Is 70 mins enough time for the transfer? Would I have to pass through passport control or security? I'd have hand-baggage only.

TIA

You ought to make it easily. However, the departure from BHX is often delayed by up to half an hour. Don't worry too much, there is a lot of padding in the schedule and the flight will usually arrive no more than a few minutes late. The real frustration is waiting on the bus for all the stragglers to leave the plane.