Will this connection work in Zurich? [merged]

Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AY Gold, Hyatt diamond.
Connection time in ZHR

I have an upcoming flight ARN-ZHR-JFK with Swiss. The connection time in ZHR is 50 min which was ok before the new secondary screening was inposed but now it is more or less certain that I will missconnect, right?
Or is it indeed possible to make it?

Best
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
50 mins is a bit tight, but I'd say you're still good to go.
ZRH is a pretty good airport for connections.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AY Gold, Hyatt diamond.
Originally Posted by Rambuster
50 mins is a bit tight, but I'd say you're still good to go.
ZRH is a pretty good airport for connections.
Yes it is, usually.
MCT is 40 min. Has the secondary screenings caused any significant delays? The flight out from ZRH is to the US so they'll have to do pat downs and inspect carry-ons.

Anyone who has flown out of ZRH since the new rules were imposed?

Problem is that the flight ZRH-JFK is the last for the day so I'm stuck if I missconnect.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 2:00 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Same question from me for a connection in ZRH to JFK with only 45 mins connection time. Maybe different scenario than the OP: I am HON and I fly on in F class. What is the scenario for short connex at ZRH for HONs and/or F pax? I departed ZRH very often, but next to never connected there, so I am curious.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by creber
Same question from me for a connection in ZRH to JFK with only 45 mins connection time. Maybe different scenario than the OP: I am HON and I fly on in F class. What is the scenario for short connex at ZRH for HONs and/or F pax? I departed ZRH very often, but next to never connected there, so I am curious.
I think LX organises a direct transfer for HONs when it hits the fan?
However, I have not experienced this yet myself even though I have had plenty of transfers in ZRH. Some connections were very tight, but a terminal A to terminal A connection can be done in under 15 minutes. A to E is a bit more tricky.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 1:51 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
As this thread is about LX and ZRH I'll move it to the LX subforum.

Take care!

totti
M&M moderator
Old Jan 4, 2010, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Rambuster
I think LX organises a direct transfer for HONs when it hits the fan?
However, I have not experienced this yet myself even though I have had plenty of transfers in ZRH. Some connections were very tight, but a terminal A to terminal A connection can be done in under 15 minutes. A to E is a bit more tricky.
Even A to E should be fine in under 15 minutes. Given that both subways are running, otherwise it might take 5 minutes extra. As the evening (as stated by OP) is usually not busy, he should be fine. After all, I'm pretty sure they will keep the bird waiting for a short time for him, if they know the connection is tight. If there is some delay on the incoming, then it's a night at Zurich. PM me and I'll show you around
Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:48 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Even A to E should be fine in under 15 minutes. Given that both subways are running, otherwise it might take 5 minutes extra. As the evening (as stated by OP) is usually not busy, he should be fine. After all, I'm pretty sure they will keep the bird waiting for a short time for him, if they know the connection is tight. If there is some delay on the incoming, then it's a night at Zurich. PM me and I'll show you around
So I suppose I just go from A to E myself (I know the way). Only thing that bothers me: will there be a long line at security check in E? Or is there a fast track for F and/or HONs?

All my departures from E so far had been after the limo transfer, so they somehow shuffled us through. But with the ridiculously early limo departure times they have from the lounge, I guess that is not an option within my 45 minute transfer window.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 4:48 am

So I suppose I just go from A to E myself (I know the way). Only thing that bothers me: will there be a long line at security check in E? Or is there a fast track for F and/or HONs?

All my departures from E so far had been after the limo transfer, so they somehow shuffled us through. But with the ridiculously early limo departure times they have from the lounge, I guess that is not an option within my 45 minute transfer window.
Yes, there is a fast track, however as much as I know it's for everything "premium" from lowly FTL/C traveller up to F/HON.

I think for F or HON they'll take care, even as far as some personal assistant if time is tight and you won't have time to go over the First lounge which has "car drive". On the other hand, taking the subway isn't much slower anyway, and passport controls and security checks* are usually having no queue at all in the evening

*Might be completely different now. According to 20min:

http://www.20min.ch/news/kreuz_und_q...iehen-25551295

Starting tomorrow Tuesday, new "enhanced" security measurements will be enacted.

But, after all, if Swiss doesn't call you and tells you that the connection won't work, I would simply try it. As F passenger they'll certainly get you a nice hotel in Zurich for the night in case it won't work out, and there is some good stuff to do even just around the airport (depends which evening, you can go see hockey games, going for Alpenrockhouse (club), or just take S-Bahn or Tram into the city.. really not the worst place for an overnight paid by Swiss) - of course only if you don't have to be at your destination on time. Otherwise, I would check with Swiss hotline directly.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 5:20 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Zurich's operations are pretty much designed around short connections and it's lucky the duty free vendors aren't dependent on connecting passengers (I've been through there four times in the last two week and not once had time to shop).

I've got off a late arrival Terminal B and sauntered over to the back end of Terminal A in under twenty minutes. Having to go through immigration could potentially take time though. Having access to the priority security line helps. You'll likely join the back end of the pre flight pat down and make your connection with ease.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:31 pm

Programs: LX HON, Emirates Skywards Gold, HH diamond, Hyatt plat

I would just go to the lounge and have them take care of you.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 9:23 am

50 min layover in Zurich long enough?

I hope this is the right area to post this question.

I will soon be booking a trip from IAD to NUE and Swiss Air has a flight that has a 50 min layover in Zurich. Realistically, will we be able to clear immigration/customs and make our connection?

Thanks.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 3:13 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this thread in the Miles and More Forum (includes Swiss Airlines).
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:43 am

no customs clearing in ZRH.
what passport do you have ? - with a european pp it should be no problem.
but anyway there're plenty of flights to NUE so if everything goes wrong, they put you on the next flight.
OTOH, if the queue appeares to be very long, ask nicely to jump in front of it..
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:49 am

Thanks obscure2k for putting this in the right place.

CubaLibre, I have a U.S. passport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.