Miles and More Credit Card question

Old Jul 31, 09, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, M&M, PC PlatAmb, Marriott, SPG
Miles and More Credit Card question

Currently have the Swiss Miles and More Gold combo card (Amex + Visa). I see that there's an upgrade possibility to Amex Platinum over here -> https://www.miles-and-more-cards.ch/e/cards/upgrade.php

My expenses are going up a fair bit, and my current Amex has a hard limit of around 8k chf, I'd like this limit to be higher and I was wondering if I could call M&M CC hotline to request this, or should I just plunk for the Platinum card instead, which I'm sure also has a higher limit anyway.

The Platinum card is enticing since I would get a welcome bonus of 10k miles (even if I change mid-year apparently), 2 miles for 2chf spent, and some other smaller advantages. But at 700chf a year, is a fair bit more expensive than the 300chf the Gold cards ask... I've heard of some who got the Platinum card cheaper, and occasionally I've seen some special offers of "20k miles" if you get a card, versus just 5k or 10k...

So as you're all a fair bit smarter than me, what would you do, when would you do it?

Thanks
Old Jul 31, 09, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Not the answer to your question, I see you are BA Gold. Does this mean you have some connection with the UK?

If so and you are able to make the residential qualification, the UK Miles and More AmEx may be of interest, earning 2 miles per £, so about 1.5 miles per CHF, with 3 miles per £ for the first 6 months, a welcome bonus of 6,000 miles and no annual fee. http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...en&cid=1000243

It's a GBP card, so you would have to take currency conversion costs into account, as I guess you do with non-Swiss expenditure now.

I always find the cost of Swiss credit cards quite outrageous and IMO not worth the extra benefits.

Last edited by Roger; Jul 31, 09 at 10:57 am Reason: recalculated
Old Jul 31, 09, 8:48 am

Programs: M&M FTL (*Silver), KLM/AF blue
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
My expenses are going up a fair bit, and my current Amex has a hard limit of around 8k chf, I'd like this limit to be higher and I was wondering if I could call M&M CC hotline to request this, or should I just plunk for the Platinum card instead, which I'm sure also has a higher limit anyway.
Just be careful: The limits have nothing to do with the product you choose!
It is related on how credit-worthy Credit Suisse (the issuer of theses cards) thinks you are. I have seen amex cold cards that 2x the limit of the the platinum card I had.

If you switch you card you will be asked about your income - if your income has increased since you have applied for the gold card they might increase your spending limit - but only marginally.

If you need a higher limit than just phone Swisscard or fill in the the form "increase spending limites" on their website. It should be the second form if you click on this link https://www.miles-and-more-cards.ch/...oad_center.php
Old Jul 31, 09, 8:54 am

Programs: LH/OS SEN, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Le Club Plat, SPG Gold, BAEC Silver
CHF 700 for a CC is an outrageous price. I pay zero for an AirPlus Diners Gold Card here in Austria as long as I have more than € 4000 yearly expenses (1,04 miles per €); Amex Gold would be around € 110 AFAIK.
It really depends on whether the higher miles accrual is worth the price difference for you, or if there is another feature of the Plat card worth it ... the higher limit should not be a problem on the Amex Gold as well.
Old Jul 31, 09, 10:49 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, M&M Senator, HHonors Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
As you do fly a lot, you may consider including M&M airlines in your travel patterns - once you are a SEN, the AMEX gold card is free and the platinum card will be offered for a better price.

Sometimes Cornercard do offer good welcome packages with bonus miles and 1 mile per CHF for 6 months. And with Cornercard you may access you spendings online - I don't understand why Credit Suisse is not capable of offering a web access for their Swisscard cards - for CHF 700.- annual fee this should be included!
Old Jul 31, 09, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, M&M, PC PlatAmb, Marriott, SPG
The limit stuff is a little confusing then. My M&M combo Visa has just a 4000chf limit, but the Visa gold I have from my bank (UBS) has a limit over 10k chf. So could it be that M&M is just a lot more concervative with their credit ratings?

I'd rather earn the miles by paying with the M&M CC than my bank CC.

Guess I'll fill the form asking for a higher limit...
Old Jul 31, 09, 1:31 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Flying Blue Platinum, Executive Club nobody, Hilton Gold, Sol Melia MAS Gold
Originally Posted by Key8 View Post
Just be careful: The limits have nothing to do with the product you choose!
It is related on how credit-worthy Credit Suisse (the issuer of theses cards) thinks you are. I have seen amex cold cards that 2x the limit of the the platinum card I had.

If you switch you card you will be asked about your income - if your income has increased since you have applied for the gold card they might increase your spending limit - but only marginally.

If you need a higher limit than just phone Swisscard or fill in the the form "increase spending limites" on their website. It should be the second form if you click on this link https://www.miles-and-more-cards.ch/...oad_center.php

Hi

I am moving to Switzerland in a month, and am thinking to get the platinum amex.
I guess they will give me a terribly low limit if I am a new swiss resident ? And I guess that since it is credit suisse it doesnt matter if I am a customer of amex in France...

Thanks
Old Aug 1, 09, 2:35 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by robin.goodman View Post
Hi

I am moving to Switzerland in a month, and am thinking to get the platinum amex.
I guess they will give me a terribly low limit if I am a new swiss resident ? And I guess that since it is credit suisse it doesnt matter if I am a customer of amex in France...

Thanks
No it doesn't. M&M is not responsible for the limit. Swisscard is. As for the price of the card, you cannot compare internationally. In the UK, customers pay so much in interest that issuers don't even need to bill an annual fee. Where in Switzerland, pretty much everybody pays in full at the end of the month.... so issuers need to get their income from elsewhere.
Old Aug 1, 09, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss View Post
In the UK, customers pay so much in interest that issuers don't even need to bill an annual fee.
Nonsense!

You make it sound as though interest is compulsory in the UK. It certainly isn't. I have NEVER paid credit card interest and have earned hundreds of thousands of miles using credit cards. And BTW, some cards do have annual fees, though much lower than in Switzerland.

I think what you're saying is the UK credit card market is highly competitive. If you don't want to pay all of the bills you have incurred, there are plenty of low interest and balance transfer deals available. Paying interest is optional, and you pay no interest if you settle your bills in full. And even Swiss credit cards charge interest on bills not paid in full.

On the other hand, the Swiss credit card market is certainly not competitive. 700 CHF as an annual fee? Nobody would get away with this in a competitive market. Why, even my platinum AmEx card costs a third less than this with significantly higher benefits IMO.

I know, I know. Switzerland is a smaller market etc etc. But net worth per capita swings the balance and is not a reason for high fees.
Old Aug 1, 09, 4:47 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Nonsense!

You make it sound as though interest is compulsory in the UK. It certainly isn't. I have NEVER paid credit card interest and have earned hundreds of thousands of miles using credit cards. And BTW, some cards do have annual fees, though much lower than in Switzerland.

I think what you're saying is the UK credit card market is highly competitive. If you don't want to pay all of the bills you have incurred, there are plenty of low interest and balance transfer deals available. Paying interest is optional, and you pay no interest if you settle your bills in full. And even Swiss credit cards charge interest on bills not paid in full.

On the other hand, the Swiss credit card market is certainly not competitive. 700 CHF as an annual fee? Nobody would get away with this in a competitive market. Why, even my platinum AmEx card costs a third less than this with significantly higher benefits IMO.

I know, I know. Switzerland is a smaller market etc etc. But net worth per capita swings the balance and is not a reason for high fees.
Calm down. I'm just saying that on average, UK residents certainly use more their credit card for credit. Much more of the income there comes from interest where in Switzerland a large portion of the population pays in full at month's end. You need to get your income from something else.
I work in the industry, believe me that's facts.
Now if you pay in full your bill, that's good, but you certainly don't represent the whole population.
Another fact is that the use of credit card is much more developed there than it is in Switz. That helps as well.
Old Aug 1, 09, 8:29 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Flying Blue Platinum, Executive Club nobody, Hilton Gold, Sol Melia MAS Gold
No it doesn't. M&M is not responsible for the limit. Swisscard is. As for the price of the card, you cannot compare internationally. In the UK, customers pay so much in interest that issuers don't even need to bill an annual fee. Where in Switzerland, pretty much everybody pays in full at the end of the month.... so issuers need to get their income from elsewhere.

Wasn't really my question. The question is whether it is Credit Suisse or American Express providing the credit.
Old Aug 1, 09, 9:55 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Originally Posted by robin.goodman View Post
Wasn't really my question. The question is whether it is Credit Suisse or American Express providing the credit.
Swisscard AECS, Joint venture between American express and Credit Suisse.
Old Aug 2, 09, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
Calm down. I'm just saying that on average, UK residents certainly use more their credit card for credit. Much more of the income there comes from interest where in Switzerland a large portion of the population pays in full at month's end. You need to get your income from something else.
I work in the industry, believe me that's facts.
I have a reasonable bit of insight into this industry as well, and what I know very much supports Fly-Swiss here.

As for new residents moving to Switzerland, the best way to initially get a credit card is to get it through the bank where you will deposit your funds (i.e. income). That bank will be most likely to grant you a higher credit limit. So, if you really want the Swisscard AECS Miles & More card, consider banking with Credit Suisse.
Old Aug 3, 09, 3:16 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
The Amex global card transfer should be an option as well. Some friends of mine made use of it (though not moving to Switzerland) and it worked perfectly fine.

PS: I just saw that Switzerland is not in the list of possible countries with seems odd to me.
Old Sep 6, 09, 2:17 pm

Programs: LX SEN, SQ QPPS2, Hilton Gold, Shangri-La Jade, SLH
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE51-1/100.34.20; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

Having the amex/visa gold milemaker one gets a 300.- discount on any lx flight above a certain amount. I never saw that voucher so I'm wondering if the voucher is not for us SEN/HON who get this combo for free?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: