Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checked baggage question (ZRH-LHR)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Checked baggage question (ZRH-LHR)

I will be flying with LX ZRH-LHR in May and I don’t know if I understand the free checked baggage allowance correctly, as I normally only travel with light luggage in Europe. However, this time I will have heavy bags, as I relocate for a few month. As a SEN I do have an increased registered baggage of an extra 20 kilos (for weight concept which apply to flights to LHR).

Does anybody know if I can check in two bags, as long as they do not exceed the 40kg (20kg standard free baggage and 20kg extra as a SEN)? Or does this rule mean, that I can only check in one bag but the registered baggage allowance is increase by 20kg? The later would be pretty useless, because of the max. weigh allowance per piece of 32kg.

Thank you for your inputs and help!
Old Apr 28, 2008, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by blue-sky
I will be flying with LX ZRH-LHR in May and I don’t know if I understand the free checked baggage allowance correctly, as I normally only travel with light luggage in Europe. However, this time I will have heavy bags, as I relocate for a few month. As a SEN I do have an increased registered baggage of an extra 20 kilos (for weight concept which apply to flights to LHR).

Does anybody know if I can check in two bags, as long as they do not exceed the 40kg (20kg standard free baggage and 20kg extra as a SEN)? Or does this rule mean, that I can only check in one bag but the registered baggage allowance is increase by 20kg? The later would be pretty useless, because of the max. weigh allowance per piece of 32kg.

Thank you for your inputs and help!
As many bags as you want, up to total of 40KG. And as a SEN, they are often a bit flexible even with this...
Old Apr 28, 2008, 3:33 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
As a SEN, the 20kg allowance becomes 40kg, distributed over as many bags as you like (though I think I recall reading somewhere that the maximum a single passenger can check in is 7 bags).

Even if the allowance is just 20kg, you're allowed to check as many bags as you want as long as together they remain under that limit in terms of weight. Before I had elite status with LH, I once checked three bags that were very light (the total weight was something like 19.8 kg for all three) but a bit bulky. No problem at all.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 1:41 pm

Programs: LH
Talking Heavy luggage

To put all 40 Kilos in one bag will not be wise. I think, there is a limit of 32 Kg for SWISS and 40 Kg for LH per piece.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 2:20 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by chumbawumba
To put all 40 Kilos in one bag will not be wise. I think, there is a limit of 32 Kg for SWISS and 40 Kg for LH per piece.
For LH:

The weight of the individual piece of baggage may not exceed 45 kg. Different local restrictions may apply.

Local restrictions on baggage weightPlease note that the maximum weight limit per single piece of baggage is 32 kg for all flights (outbound and return, as well as transfers) to the destinations listed below, irrespective of class. Items of baggage which exceed this weight will not be accepted.

This regulation does not change the maximum weight limit for the free baggage allowance.

Abu Dhabi Amsterdam Australia Brussels Cape Town Cyprus Donetsk Dubai Florence Johannesburg Khartoum Malta Muscat New Zealand Saudi Arabia United Kingdom

For the following destination a maximum weight of only 30 kg (66lb) is permitted, irrespective of class of travel:

Rostov

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...03&cid=1000390
Old Apr 29, 2008, 12:07 pm

Programs: LH
Post 32 Kg

For SWISS

The maximum weight for each piece can not exceed 32 kg. If this limit is exceeded the baggage must be repacked and distributed among other pieces.

I knew that they allow less than Lufthansa, whereby I thing they would not really mind. But the luggage above 32 Kg will get a sticker for heavy luggage.
Old May 1, 2008, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice and help! I appreciate it!
Old Sep 7, 2008, 7:06 am
Original Poster

I just wanted to report back, how everything went.

In May, check-in in ZRH went very smooth. Noboday cared, that i checked 39kg. However, coming back from LHR was not that smooth at all. The lady at the check-in had no clue about the increased baggage limite for SEN and tried to send me to the lx ticket desk for paying an excess baggage fee (she insisted, that the free baggage limit is only 20kg for all passangers on that flight). I refused to pay any fee and furthermore, carry all my luggage to the LX ticket desk in the back of the check-in area. After some polite argueing with her (she got pretty angry) her supervisor arrived and sorted out everything within 30 seconds . Needless to say, i did not pay for my 2 bags with 42kg and the supervisor even apologized for all the hassle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.