Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Summer schedule brings more Swiss wet leases

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2008, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Summer schedule brings more Swiss wet leases

Swiss/Swiss European have ongoing problems to crew their Avros (cockpit), as a result a growing number of regional flights will be operated by wet-lease partner airlines throughout the summer schedule:

Contact Air (Fokker 100)
Warsaw, Venice, Stuttgart*

Currently Contact Air operates only turboprop aircrafts for Lufthansa Regional
http://www.contactair.de/

Helvetic (Fokker 100)
Manchester, Budapest, Brussels*, Birmingham*

Helvetic is a Swiss Low Cost Carrier that already operates wet leases for Swiss.
http://www.helvetic.com/

Flightline (BAE146)
Prague (replacing the Cirrus wetlease on this route)

Flightline is a UK based adhoc-charter airline
http://www.flightline.ltd.uk/

The Lugano flights will continue to be operated by Darwin Airlines (with Saab2000) but this is because LX doesn't operate any aircraft that could land in LUG.

* selected flights only

Mileage earnings will be as if the flights were operated by Swiss. The problem with wet leases is sometimes inconsistent service and surprising seat configurations. The Contact Air Fokker 100 are ex-Air Berlin/Germania where the seat pitch in the first half is more generous than in the second half of the aircraft.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:26 am

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
Originally Posted by jarino
The Contact Air Fokker 100 are ex-Air Berlin/Germania where the seat pitch in the first half is more generous than in the second half of the aircraft.
The seat-layout is exactly the same as on the helvetic-planes (Germania and Helvetic started to operate their Fokkers at the same time, and even planned to create a kind of alliance...). Let's hope that they keep the seat-layout as it is.

I wonder in which livery these Fokkers will operate: Swiss, LH regional, Contactair, or even totally white as the Cirrus- and the Flightline-birds...
Old Feb 7, 2008, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
The problem with wet leases is sometimes inconsistent service and surprising seat configurations..
I just completed a trip from UK to ZRH and BUD on SWISS. My bum didn't rest on a single SWISS operated seat, but I got a nice introduction to the virtual-Swiss network.

It ended with a Flightline 146 - definitely an experience to be avoided: 3-3 seating, announcements in English only and branded as "Swiss operated by Flightline".
Old Feb 7, 2008, 3:00 am

Programs: LH SEN
Similar to the "Air One" experience. Unbelievable bad experience. Fortunately these are short flights, but even for 90min I don't like sticky and small seats with sweaty and unfriendly crew. In a 3-3 seating and an aircraft that looks worn out. Brrr
Just my 0.02$

W
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold
I often fly STR-ZRH as connecting flight. In 2006 this destination was operated by Cirrus for LX. Nowadays Contact Air is coming. Some variety...

During the Cirrus time the scheduled aircraft was an Embrear 170, but sometimes the only Cirrus 737-500 (airbridge instead of bus boarding in ZRH!) or an E145 appeared on the appron.

I think, on the short routes the inconsistent service based on the wet lease is not a problem - at least there is no service (the chocolate and since few month some water - on a 25 minute flight).

But on midrange destination this could be a problem.

We will see.

Best regards,

taigatrommel
Old Feb 7, 2008, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Wombelero
Similar to the "Air One" experience. Unbelievable bad experience. Fortunately these are short flights, but even for 90min I don't like sticky and small seats with sweaty and unfriendly crew. In a 3-3 seating and an aircraft that looks worn out. Brrr
Just my 0.02$

W
That's actually a "code-share" flight.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 4:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Contactair's fleet:

http://airfleets.net/flottecie/Contactair.htm

All ATR42/72 all currently in LH Regional livery.

Flightline:

http://airfleets.net/flottecie/Flightline.htm

Except for the RJ100 all 146e are from the mid 80s who at LX took this decision...
Old Feb 8, 2008, 9:19 am

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Contactair's fleet:

All ATR42/72 all currently in LH Regional livery.
Yup, because they fly exclusively for LH regional.

Except for the RJ100 all 146e are from the mid 80s who at LX took this decision...
There was recently an article about LX-wetleases in the magazine of LX's pilot-union. They write that Flightline fulfills all the conditions of LX, while Star-Partner Spanair did not reach this last year...

The article can be read under this link by clicking on the picture:

http://www.aeropers.ch/ids/default.asp?TopicID=71

Sorry, cannot place a direct link here from the internet-cafe at BKK...

The plane that Flightline actually uses for LX (G-OZRH) dates from 1985 and is a former PSA / US-Air-Bird. But if it's in a well maintained condition, everything is OK, isn't it?
Old Feb 8, 2008, 11:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

«RS»: Gibt es bestimmte Strecken, auf denen Wetlease nicht in Frage kommt?
P.S.: Wenn immer möglich wollen wir neue Strecken selber bedienen, um dort unsere Präsenz zu markieren. Wetlease vermeiden wir ausserdem auf unseren Kernmärkten wie zum Beispiel London, Paris, Frankfurt oder Amsterdam sowie auf Strecken, auf denen wir einen starken Wettbewerber oder erheblichen Business-Verkehr haben.

Wir möchten aber, dass auch die ganze Flugzeugkabine des Wetlease-Partners einen vertrauenerweckenden, gewarteten Eindruck hinterlässt: Hat es Verschalungsteile, die fehlen, oder Sitzlehnen mit kalten Brüchen im Aluminium, an denen man sich verletzen kann? Wie sehen die sicherheitsrelevanten Ausrüstungsgegenstände in der Kabine aus? Und so weiter.

Zwischenzeit schon mit einigen Wetlease- Partnern Kontakt gehabt. Wie sind allgemein die Erfahrungen, zum Beispiel mit helvetic oder mit Flightline?
P.S.: Generell läuft es dort, wo wir in einem engen, guten Dialog stehen und die Leute persönlich kennen, besser als bei den anderen Airlines. Mit helvetic haben wir gute Erfahrungen gemacht. Diese Airline haben wir mit sehr kritischen Augen auditiert. Auch mit Flightline haben wir insgesamt eine gute, fruchtbare Beziehung. Wir spüren den Stolz und das Engagement der Leute, dass sie für die SWISS fliegen dürfen. Dennoch war Flightline anfänglich für einige SID-Abweichungen verantwortlich. Und wie ich schon erwähnt habe, ist ihr Engagement seit Beginn mit Auflagen verbunden gewesen. Nun, da in der Zwischenzeit der Vertrag verlängert wurde, haben wir zusätzlich von Flightline auch weitere Korrekturen verlangt. Diese stehen in Zusammenhang mit ihrem Qualifikationskonzept. Ferner führt unsere Netzwerkabteilung alle drei Monate ein so genanntes Wetlease-Review-Meeting durch. Dort sitzen alle involvierten Stellen der
SWISS mit ihren Kollegen von Flightline zusammen, diskutieren anfallende Probleme und platzieren nötigenfalls auch ihre Forderungen.

«RS»: Wie passt Wetlease generell – wir sprechen jetzt nicht von PrivatAir –
zu unserem Anspruch, die Nummer eins Europas zu sein?
P.S.: Da müssen wir nichts beschönigen, bezüglich Image passt das nicht
immer.

Good joke! Which planet do they live on?

As far as older planes go, the older they get, the higher the chances they will go tech. Also to maintain them to a standard it get very expensive.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:06 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Good joke! Which planet do they live on?

As far as older planes go, the older they get, the higher the chances they will go tech. Also to maintain them to a standard it get very expensive.
Now where are you quoting this from?
Old Feb 8, 2008, 7:02 pm

The article rorschi referenced above.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 2:36 am

Programs: LH
Thumbs down Wet Lease on 3-3

With Cirrus, I made good experiences. Helvetic was not tooo bad. But sitting in a Jumbolino with 3-3 when booked a C-Ticket will defently not be my desired flight.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 7:27 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Well, at least they seem to realize that it's "suboptimal". This quote makes me hope:

"«RS»: Wie passt Wetlease generell – wir sprechen jetzt nicht von PrivatAir –
zu unserem Anspruch, die Nummer eins Europas zu sein?
P.S.: Da müssen wir nichts beschönigen, bezüglich Image passt das nicht
immer."
Old Feb 18, 2008, 1:33 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Helvetic (Fokker 100)
Manchester, Budapest, Brussels*, Birmingham*

Helvetic is a Swiss Low Cost Carrier that already operates wet leases for Swiss.
http://www.helvetic.com/

What´s your experience on the Helvetic Fokker 100 ? I have to fly often to BHX.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 4:00 am

Programs: LH
Talking Helvetic

Originally Posted by szg
What´s your experience on the Helvetic Fokker 100 ? I have to fly often to BHX.
Hi,

my experience is now one or two years old. The planes fly. But the planes are now worn out and therefore not as good as the Airbuses from SWISS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.