Lounge ZRH [merged Q&A thread]

Old Aug 29, 19, 10:17 am
  #1456  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver/Toronto/Hong Kong
Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Posts: 287
Due to BA's upcoming strike, I have the fortunate opportunity to fly Swiss via ZRH for the first time. I tried searching and digging in this thread but there are just too much useful information and I can't find the right one. Would appreciate if someone can please clarify the lounge situation and teach me how to maximize the airport/Zurich experience. In addition to flying Business Class, I have Star Gold status. I will be arriving on LX243 from Dubai at 0625am and leaving to Palermo at 1625pm. I will have 10 hours in Zurich.

1. Can I go to the lounge in Gate E immediately upon arrival before clearing border and custom?
2. After using Gate E lounge, can I exit the airport to head to Zurich downtown?
3. After we finish the tour in Zurich, can we go back to Gate E lounge before our flight to Palermo?
4. Is it worthwhile visiting the arrival lounge?
5. How much time would you spend in Zurich downtown?
6. Should I bid for upgrade from my Business Z -class ticket to First in order to use the Gate E first class lounge upon arrival?

Thank you again!

Last edited by l380; Aug 29, 19 at 10:50 am
l380 is offline  
Old Aug 29, 19, 12:14 pm
  #1457  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: European: ZRH, Asian: SIN
Posts: 7,537
Originally Posted by l380 View Post
Due to BA's upcoming strike, I have the fortunate opportunity to fly Swiss via ZRH for the first time. I tried searching and digging in this thread but there are just too much useful information and I can't find the right one. Would appreciate if someone can please clarify the lounge situation and teach me how to maximize the airport/Zurich experience. In addition to flying Business Class, I have Star Gold status. I will be arriving on LX243 from Dubai at 0625am and leaving to Palermo at 1625pm. I will have 10 hours in Zurich.

1. Can I go to the lounge in Gate E immediately upon arrival before clearing border and custom?
2. After using Gate E lounge, can I exit the airport to head to Zurich downtown?
3. After we finish the tour in Zurich, can we go back to Gate E lounge before our flight to Palermo?
4. Is it worthwhile visiting the arrival lounge?
5. How much time would you spend in Zurich downtown?
6. Should I bid for upgrade from my Business Z -class ticket to First in order to use the Gate E first class lounge upon arrival?

Thank you again!
1) Yes you can, but I'd probably head to the Arrivals lounge instead. Much better breakfast, no wait for showers and less crowded. And no extra security check.
2) Yes (but see above, I'd head directly to Arrivals lounge)
3) Yes, BUT only if you've a passport (or Visa) that allows unlimited entries to Schengen area, since you'll be exiting (and entering it again) when doing so.
4) See answer 1. It easily beats E lounge for breakfast, unless you want to drink alcohol.
5) If the weather is right, I'd spend the morning and lunch in the city, then head to the airport.
6) Up to you. Personally I'd not bother, the minimum bidding price buys you MUCH, MUCH better food (and drinks) in the city of Zürich

7) When will it be? If 9th September, drop me a message since I'd have time to give you a city tour
l380 likes this.
YuropFlyer is online now  
Old Aug 29, 19, 7:14 pm
  #1458  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver/Toronto/Hong Kong
Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Posts: 287
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
1) Yes you can, but I'd probably head to the Arrivals lounge instead. Much better breakfast, no wait for showers and less crowded. And no extra security check.
2) Yes (but see above, I'd head directly to Arrivals lounge)
3) Yes, BUT only if you've a passport (or Visa) that allows unlimited entries to Schengen area, since you'll be exiting (and entering it again) when doing so.
4) See answer 1. It easily beats E lounge for breakfast, unless you want to drink alcohol.
5) If the weather is right, I'd spend the morning and lunch in the city, then head to the airport.
6) Up to you. Personally I'd not bother, the minimum bidding price buys you MUCH, MUCH better food (and drinks) in the city of Zürich
7) When will it be? If 9th September, drop me a message since I'd have time to give you a city tour
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation! I just realized how nice the Arrivals lounge actually is. Might even take advantage of the sleeping room too before heading to town. What food&drinks recommendation in Zurich do you have for me? I will be there on September 7, Saturday. Please let me know if you are free that day.

Last edited by l380; Aug 29, 19 at 7:19 pm
l380 is offline  
Old Aug 31, 19, 4:10 am
  #1459  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: European: ZRH, Asian: SIN
Posts: 7,537
Originally Posted by l380 View Post
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation! I just realized how nice the Arrivals lounge actually is. Might even take advantage of the sleeping room too before heading to town. What food&drinks recommendation in Zurich do you have for me? I will be there on September 7, Saturday. Please let me know if you are free that day.
The weekend 7th to 9th is the biggest yearly fair in Zürich (so called Knabenschiessen, where tenthousands of teenagers get to use the army assault gun in a shooting competition - no worries, it's all very civil )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knabenschiessen

You should definitely visit it when you are here (it starts in the late morning at 11am, so when you take a nap on arrival, you can comfortably include it in a city tour, since the fair area is just minutes from the city center)

For lunch, there is plenty of choice really. Traditional fare (like Zeughauskeller, but very touristic) or local places (anything from self-service up to splurge) - Swiss people don't really eat one kind of food only. Our food mostly is a mix of German (sausage/potato) influenced dishes, Italian dishes (Pasta, Pizza), together with Cheese in all kind of varieties (but please don't eat Fondue in summer.. ) - but Zürich itself is cosmopolitan, so really close to everything is available. On a regular early autumn day, probably some sausage meal would be a good choice.

I should actually have time myself on Saturday. Feel free to drop me a PM with your number.

Weather will - long term forecast - be quite good, not too warm but not yet too cold or rainy either (but Swiss weather is unpredictable..)
l380 likes this.
YuropFlyer is online now  
Old Sep 13, 19, 12:52 am
  #1460  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: SIN / ZRH / DUS
Programs: LH SEN & WoH Explorist
Posts: 69
I am LH SEN and have an upcoming SQ flight in C. Am I allowed to use LX Arrival Lounge in ZRH in this case?

I know that LH Arrival Lounge in FRA is limited to LH flights...
Gioventu is offline  
Old Sep 13, 19, 1:02 am
  #1461  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: YVR, ZRH
Programs: *G
Posts: 5,665
Originally Posted by Gioventu View Post
I am LH SEN and have an upcoming SQ flight in C. Am I allowed to use LX Arrival Lounge in ZRH in this case?

I know that LH Arrival Lounge in FRA is limited to LH flights...
https://www.swiss.com/ch/en/fly/airp...h#t-page=pane4

"Access First Class SWISS and Lufthansa, HON Circle, Miles & More Senator, Business Class SWISS and Lufthansa, Miles & More Frequent Traveller"

would indicate that you can get access via LH SEN (NOT via SQ C, but that's irrelevant in this case)
Gioventu likes this.
Smiley90 is online now  
Old Sep 28, 19, 3:08 am
  #1462  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Programs: aegean, klm
Posts: 55
Just to be sure, asking it here.

Looking to make a little trip to zrh for the whisky bar. Holding a Dutch passport and a3*g. Flying to ams, ath, lux, cph or bru.

Would it be possible to get into the lounges at E?
Yreal is offline  
Old Sep 28, 19, 4:03 am
  #1463  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Posts: 972
Originally Posted by Yreal View Post
Just to be sure, asking it here.

Looking to make a little trip to zrh for the whisky bar. Holding a Dutch passport and a3*g. Flying to ams, ath, lux, cph or bru.

Would it be possible to get into the lounges at E?
sure no problems just g othrought passkontrolle -zrh is a world first airport and if they ask just say you wants to check out LX Lounge E Gates catch HeidiZug to E gates then go back to A Gates thru pass control again to A gates ZRH is very easy and no schlepping apart fro mHeidiZug
cbourl is offline  
Old Sep 29, 19, 4:47 am
  #1464  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Programs: aegean, klm
Posts: 55
Originally Posted by cbourl View Post
sure no problems just g othrought passkontrolle -zrh is a world first airport and if they ask just say you wants to check out LX Lounge E Gates catch HeidiZug to E gates then go back to A Gates thru pass control again to A gates ZRH is very easy and no schlepping apart fro mHeidiZug
Cheers. Do they have passport gates? Then no-one would even ask the question to begin with
Yreal is offline  
Old Sep 29, 19, 4:49 am
  #1465  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Posts: 3,077
Originally Posted by Yreal View Post
Cheers. Do they have passport gates? Then no-one would even ask the question to begin with
Even before they did, it was never an issue to say you want to enjoy the nicer lounge.

Most will give you a knowing smile
cbourl and Yreal like this.
worldclubber is offline  
Old Sep 30, 19, 1:25 am
  #1466  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 58
BCN-ZRH-MXP; I assume I'll be in A-gates the whole time but I have a 4.5 hour connection... any chance I'm allowed to schlep over to the E gates lounge? I've got a Canadian passport so clearing passport control twice shouldn't be an issue...
tajee165 is offline  
Old Sep 30, 19, 3:12 am
  #1467  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Posts: 972
Originally Posted by tajee165 View Post
BCN-ZRH-MXP; I assume I'll be in A-gates the whole time but I have a 4.5 hour connection... any chance I'm allowed to schlep over to the E gates lounge? I've got a Canadian passport so clearing passport control twice shouldn't be an issue...
Shouldn't be a problem! Never any problems with Aussie or Greek passports Dual or triple passports can be problematic but use the EGates If only 1 passport no issue whatsoever
cbourl is offline  
Old Sep 30, 19, 4:07 am
  #1468  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: European: ZRH, Asian: SIN
Posts: 7,537
Originally Posted by cbourl View Post
Shouldn't be a problem! Never any problems with Aussie or Greek passports Dual or triple passports can be problematic but use the EGates If only 1 passport no issue whatsoever
obviously with a Canadian passport no E Gates for him.

if you can enter and leave Schengen unlimited you can do it, will just take space for two stamps I guess..
YuropFlyer is online now  
Old Sep 30, 19, 9:56 am
  #1469  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 58
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
obviously with a Canadian passport no E Gates for him.

if you can enter and leave Schengen unlimited you can do it, will just take space for two stamps I guess..
Awesome, appreciate the response. Will make sure I've got space for 2 stamps and off I go to visit the very nice E gates lounge.

I'm not too familiar with European airlines general take on my the matter but LX seems to have a forgiving policy here; In Canada for example, Air Canada makes a point of not allowing domestic or US-bound flights into the International MLLs.
tajee165 is offline  
Old Oct 3, 19, 11:56 am
  #1470  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 11
Hi Swiss flyer

I am on a flight from HKG-ZRH-LHR with 4 hour layover which I intend to try out multiple lounges and do some shopping. My plan is to visit lounge E first (I assume I land in E so I can go straight there?) which everyone have high praise, then go out to arrival lounge and do some shopping at Ladrech. Finally go to lounge A to wind down and catch up with some works before the flights.

Can I go to all 3 lounges?
Do I have enough time?
I intend to take a shower and some breakfast should I go to lounge E or arrival?
I thinking of having a peek on the observation at dock E will I have enough time?
What is the different between business and senator lounge?

Thanks for all the information that you guys have input!
relaxingflyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread