Lounge ZRH [merged Q&A thread]

Old Jul 27, 13, 2:46 pm

Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by madisoncat View Post
We have a 12 hour layover in Zurich-What to do?

Thanks Much,
Madcat!
Easiest question ever. Visit the city! It's easy to get to via train and having that much time gives you an opportunity to get a good feel for it. And it's heaven if you love watches.
Old Jul 30, 13, 12:39 pm

Would Appreciate a Walk through ZRH

First time flying UA and Swiss on a IAD-ZHR-DAR route in Sept. Some newbie questions and appreciate the help

Arriving UA 936 ~8:30am, transit time 1 hr 20 min, to LX 292 on to DAR

Are these in approx same areas or will I be changing terminals? Is there a transit area -or do we go through customs/immigration/security and then go to another area of the airport. Have never done this as we usually do not go through Europe to get to Africa, but found some good biz class tickets and went for it. First Timers out of our usual Econ. Plus!
Don't want to be an ignorant American upon arrival and hope I can get an idea of what to expect.

On return we are on LX 293 arriving ~6:30 am with a 5 hr layover (thus the deal on BIZ I suppose) so would love to use the Arrivals shower before the day begins all over again. Will I be able to since I am theoretically departing on United not Swiss- and where is it located in reference to Swiss arrivals from DAR? Do I hand them my Swiss LX 283 arrival boarding pass copy - or my UA 937 to IAD boarding pass. I would love to have all options available and as I said not appear too dense when negotiating ZRH

For 5 hours I doubt DH will want to go on any expeditions, so we'll stay put in the airport in a lounge and perhaps I can sneak in a bit of shop browsing.

Appreciate any help for this newbie!
I lurk here quite a bit, but this is our first international biz class and I'd like to have all the info I can before I exit the plane. Also, what is Schengen vs. non-Schengen in relation to a US citizen arriving and departing?

We only take a small duffle (safari camps do daily laundry!) so no worries of collecting bags etc.
Thank you very much in advance for a walk through of our first time in Zurich. I am now regretting not taking a few days to enjoy the area, but after the pics I've seen it will be on my list!
Old Jul 30, 13, 2:25 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jjw2 View Post
First time flying UA and Swiss on a IAD-ZHR-DAR route in Sept. Some newbie questions and appreciate the help

Arriving UA 936 ~8:30am, transit time 1 hr 20 min, to LX 292 on to DAR

Are these in approx same areas or will I be changing terminals? Is there a transit area -or do we go through customs/immigration/security and then go to another area of the airport. Have never done this as we usually do not go through Europe to get to Africa, but found some good biz class tickets and went for it. First Timers out of our usual Econ. Plus!
Don't want to be an ignorant American upon arrival and hope I can get an idea of what to expect.
Your UA flight will arrive at an E gate and your LX flight to DAR will also depart from E. No need to go through passport control/customs. You used to have to clear security before your connecting flight but they are currently trying out a new procedure so arrivals from the US do not need to re-clear security. This may or may not work but whichever way you don't have to leave E Terminal. As departing Business Class passengers you should have access to the Panorama Lounge but don't expect much.

On return we are on LX 293 arriving ~6:30 am with a 5 hr layover (thus the deal on BIZ I suppose) so would love to use the Arrivals shower before the day begins all over again. Will I be able to since I am theoretically departing on United not Swiss- and where is it located in reference to Swiss arrivals from DAR? Do I hand them my Swiss LX 283 arrival boarding pass copy - or my UA 937 to IAD boarding pass. I would love to have all options available and as I said not appear too dense when negotiating ZRH
Your arriving LX BP should give you access to the Arrival Lounge which is landside after passport control and customs. It is by far the best lounge in ZRH apart from the FCL though I think the Arrival Lounge has better (and more) showers.

For 5 hours I doubt DH will want to go on any expeditions, so we'll stay put in the airport in a lounge and perhaps I can sneak in a bit of shop browsing.

Appreciate any help for this newbie!
I lurk here quite a bit, but this is our first international biz class and I'd like to have all the info I can before I exit the plane. Also, what is Schengen vs. non-Schengen in relation to a US citizen arriving and departing?

We only take a small duffle (safari camps do daily laundry!) so no worries of collecting bags etc.
Thank you very much in advance for a walk through of our first time in Zurich. I am now regretting not taking a few days to enjoy the area, but after the pics I've seen it will be on my list!
With 5 hours you have just enough time for a quick trip to downtown Zurich but you may be pushing it a bit if you want to go to the Arrival Lounge for a shower and breakfast. BTW it's not worth waking up for breakfast on the plane if you are going the Arrival Lounge.

As US passport holders you have no problem going through passport control into Schengen/Switzerland to visit the Arrival Lounge and/or a quick visit to Zurich. They may not even ask you the purpose of your visit but if asked you can say you are in transit. They are quite used to it.
Old Jul 30, 13, 4:50 pm

Thanks!

Appreciate your info..I had been searching and stressing over logistics - I like to be aware before arrival! I wasn't sure if using two different airlines UA and Swiss made much of a difference...in lounge use ~ and where everything was located in the terminal (I find the map of ZRH very confusing, but that could be my age )

So I decided to take the plunge and post my questions. Wasn't that scary afterall! Who knew afterall all these years (I think I signed up here in 2008!)

This really helps - after 12 days of bucket showers, I will want a real one before I get home! Long travel so I was hoping we'd enjoy ZRH.

Thx. again.
Old Jul 31, 13, 3:48 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Appreciate your info..I had been searching and stressing over logistics - I like to be aware before arrival! I wasn't sure if using two different airlines UA and Swiss made much of a difference...in lounge use ~ and where everything was located in the terminal (I find the map of ZRH very confusing, but that could be my age )

So I decided to take the plunge and post my questions. Wasn't that scary afterall! Who knew afterall all these years (I think I signed up here in 2008!)

This really helps - after 12 days of bucket showers, I will want a real one before I get home! Long travel so I was hoping we'd enjoy ZRH.

Thx. again.
I forgot to welcome you to FT but as you say you have been around for a while!

No, I haven't found a good overall map of ZRH either but the plan on this transfer guide should give you some idea of where things are.

Terminal (or Dock) E is a completely separate building from the main terminal linked with the Skymetro shuttle often referred to as Heidi's train in this forum.

On your way out there is no need (or time) to leave Dock E but on the way back just follow the signs for 'Exit Zurich', walk through baggage claim and you will find the Arrival Lounge immediately on your left as you exit through the customs.

Some photos of the Arrival Lounge taken during a recent visit.
Old Jul 31, 13, 5:16 am

Great Info..

The transfer guide and photos very helpful and thanks for welcoming me - I've read many trip reports through the years and FT has been a helpful resource...esp. now that I jumped in and actually requested assistance.

I am a M&M member but never found saw this info. Thank you for the links; very helpful.
Hope UA is a better flying experience than their customer service via phone has been. That was a agonizing experience just trying to get our cc through (denied though should NOT have been) causing us to have a 3-way conference with our bank, their very rude manager and ourselves. So I haven't even wanted to ask them for any connecting and/or ZRH info.

So accordingly, on return to ZRH we will take the Heidi train to baggage, walk through
customs and find Arrival lounge on left. To return to our flight to U.S, we get back on Heidi to Dock E through SAME customs? -I imagine there is also security if we have actually left the baggage area?
Like you said as "transiting", I imagine there are folks there that will help if we totaly get turned around!
There will be no problem entering Arrivals since we will have just flown LX and have our stubs from the BP. I read so many confusing posts here on who and who not can get into what lounge....and I hate rejection!

I want to be sure I am confident in my directions..although we have 5 hours to get lost! Perhaps in a shop or two. or more.

Really appreciate the links you provided. Will print them out and study them, haha. It is intimidating for the first time to arrive and try to figure what the hell we are doing! You've relieved quite a bit of frustration and stress; very helpful- as you are to all who have posted here over the years. As I've been reading hundreds of them!
Old Jul 31, 13, 6:11 am

So accordingly, on return to ZRH we will take the Heidi train to baggage, walk through
customs and find Arrival lounge on left.
When you arrive in E, follow the signs for Ausgang/Exit, ride Heidi's train, follow the signs for Exit, go through passport control, walk through baggage claim, walk through customs and turn left.

There is a button you have to press to the right of the sliding doors to the Arrival Lounge. Take the elevator to the lounge which is one floor above.

To return to our flight to U.S, we get back on Heidi to Dock E through SAME customs? -I imagine there is also security if we have actually left the baggage area?
On the way out exit the lounge through the doors on the lounge level (no need to go downstairs) and turn left. You will be in check-in area 2. Keep walking until you come to check-in area 1.

Go through security (there are priority lanes for Business and First passengers) and to Heidi's train. Since I haven't followed this route recently I'm not certain where passport control is (customs and passport control are quite separate in Europe) but if you follow the signs for E gates you should be fine.

If you want to look at shops you'd better do so before getting on Heidi's train because the choice in Dock E is limited. Also there are more shops in the Airport Center (a separate building but linked to the main terminal) including a Migros supermarket.
Old Jul 31, 13, 8:19 am

Again

A HUGE thank you...as you can see I need specific instructions..although I know it is just the anxiety of never having been.
Thank goodness we do have 5 hrs - if all goes well- to navigate ZHR. I have heard it is very accessible, but I like to have it all in my head beforehand.

Actually after paying for biz, I have no bucks left to shop; however looking is always interesting in an European Airport.

Thank you so much. Wish I could return the favor, but I doubt you fly into Virginia!
Old Oct 22, 13, 6:02 am

ZRH Arrival Lounge

Question from my wife. Do the showers in the ZRH Arrivals lounge offer hair dryers? Trying to determine what to pack in carryon.

Thanks
Old Oct 22, 13, 7:28 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by davidm16 View Post
Question from my wife. Do the showers in the ZRH Arrivals lounge offer hair dryers? Trying to determine what to pack in carryon.

Thanks
Yes, they are available in each shower room.
Old Oct 22, 13, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by szg View Post
Yes, they are available in each shower room.
SZG - Thanks very much!
Old Nov 11, 13, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K; UA Plat MM; Hyatt Globalist; Starwood, Marriott, Hilton Gold.
Does the LX ZRH D-dock SEN/Biz lounge have showers? I am flying BOS-ZRH-BHX, and I'm pretty sure I will arrive in E and depart from D.

If I have to go through a security check, I would rather go to the Arrival Lounge.

If I don't have to go through a security check, and D lounge has showers then I will go straight to D.

If I don't have to go through security check and D has no showers, then I will go to the main SEN lounge.

Comments welcome. Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 13, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K View Post
Does the LX ZRH D-dock SEN/Biz lounge have showers? I am flying BOS-ZRH-BHX, and I'm pretty sure I will arrive in E and depart from D.

If I have to go through a security check, I would rather go to the Arrival Lounge.

If I don't have to go through a security check, and D lounge has showers then I will go straight to D.

If I don't have to go through security check and D has no showers, then I will go to the main SEN lounge.

Comments welcome. Thanks!
Yes D Dock has showers. I do not think arriving from Boston you will need a security check although sometimes perhaps you do (if that is unclear it is because that my experiences at ZRH are varying with security checks when flying in from the United States). You can go straight to D in any case and there will be a shower their- I wouldn't bother with the arrival lounge as for that you will need to cross passport control 2 X (once to enter and once to exit).
Old Nov 11, 13, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG View Post
Yes D Dock has showers. I do not think arriving from Boston you will need a security check although sometimes perhaps you do (if that is unclear it is because that my experiences at ZRH are varying with security checks when flying in from the United States). You can go straight to D in any case and there will be a shower their- I wouldn't bother with the arrival lounge as for that you will need to cross passport control 2 X (once to enter and once to exit).
You don't need to clear security if you arrive from the US and connect to a Schengen destination AFAIK but once you hit Pier D you can't avoid going through security. One of the reasons why ZRH is not my favourite airport. (ZRH Pier D is like FRA Pier B )

The lounge in D does not have showers - at least within the lounge, or toilets for that matter. They are located down the corridor.

I would go to the Arrival Lounge if I have the time.
Old Nov 16, 13, 7:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K; UA Plat MM; Hyatt Globalist; Starwood, Marriott, Hilton Gold.
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
You don't need to clear security if you arrive from the US and connect to a Schengen destination AFAIK but once you hit Pier D you can't avoid going through security. One of the reasons why ZRH is not my favourite airport. (ZRH Pier D is like FRA Pier B )

The lounge in D does not have showers - at least within the lounge, or toilets for that matter. They are located down the corridor.

I would go to the Arrival Lounge if I have the time.
I have good news. When I arrived in E I followed the signs for A/B instead of D/ exit. This took me to A without security check, when I was able to shower in peace an enjoy a relatively quiet sen and c lounge. When it came time to got to D dock, I just breezed through passport control, and went to the D Sen lounge. No further security Check.

The only annoying thing was that LX required me to gate check my standard size rollabord because LX was flying a tiny Fokker 100 on this route, and all passengers had to be bussed. Not very classy.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: