Lounge ZRH [merged Q&A thread]

Old May 6, 13, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
Sounds perfect. Don't miss Heidi on your way to A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHPn4yaZOQk
Thanks very much for the confirmation!!
Old May 27, 13, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
In three weeks we will be taking LX87 from YUL - ZRH and the on to ATH on LX1830. We are in business. This is our first time on Swiss and in Zurich.

So as I understand it we will arrive in Dock E, and take the Heidi train. We depart I believe from gate A84 (or at least that is from where previous LX1830 flights have left). We have a 3 1/2 hour layover. I am assuming that we have plenty of time to go to the Arrival Lounge and have breakfast. How much time should we leave in order to get to A84 from the Arrivals Lounge, knowing that we will have to go through passport control ( again I believe). Home is ORD and passport control can take an hour. I guess we could always leave early and use the Swiss Business Lounge by the A gates? Where would be a better place to spend the hours - Arrivals Lounge or Business Lounge? We arrive at 6:15 AM and depart at 9:45 AM.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.
Old May 27, 13, 5:16 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by balima View Post
In three weeks we will be taking LX87 from YUL - ZRH and the on to ATH on LX1830. We are in business. This is our first time on Swiss and in Zurich.

So as I understand it we will arrive in Dock E, and take the Heidi train. We depart I believe from gate A84 (or at least that is from where previous LX1830 flights have left). We have a 3 1/2 hour layover. I am assuming that we have plenty of time to go to the Arrival Lounge and have breakfast. How much time should we leave in order to get to A84 from the Arrivals Lounge, knowing that we will have to go through passport control ( again I believe). Home is ORD and passport control can take an hour. I guess we could always leave early and use the Swiss Business Lounge by the A gates? Where would be a better place to spend the hours - Arrivals Lounge or Business Lounge? We arrive at 6:15 AM and depart at 9:45 AM.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.
The Arrival Lounge is definitely nicer than the Business Lounge (or Senator Lounge if you are *G) for breakfast, shower and if you are interested (and can get one) sleeping rooms. It also has 10 wired workstations if you don't mind German keyboards. Although the lounge is nice and usually very quiet (almost empty) it doesn't have any view so you might like to move to the Business Lounge at some point.

You go through passport control before visiting the Arrival Lounge but since both Switzerland and Greece are in Schengen there is no passport control to go through afterwards, just security and there are priority lanes for Business and First passengers. If you leave the Arrival Lounge one hour before departure, you will have more than enough time to pay a quick visit to the Business Lounge, browse the shops and walk all the way to Gate A84 if that's where your flight is departing.
Old May 27, 13, 11:21 pm

I'll also be on LX 87 on C from YUL-ZRH arriving 0615 and have an onward flight at 2245 on LX 187 ZRH-SIN also in C. Seeing as I have a 16 hour layover, I have planned to go out of the airport and into Lucerne and Zurich to explore.

I'll be using the arrivals lounge (where is this and how do I get there exactly since I'll be arriving on the E gates; do I still have to take the Heidi train?) for a shower and breakfast before heading out to Lucerne on train.

Coming back to the airport at night, which of the senator lounges in ZRH would be considered "best"? I would love to be able to take a shower before boarding the flight to SIN. I am aware that my C ticket will only allow me entry into the business lounges but I am *G but I have yet to receive my card in the mail. Will this be a problem in ZRH or will I be allowed in solely on the basis of my boarding pass?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 28, 13, 12:38 am

Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by loafyofbread View Post
Coming back to the airport at night, which of the senator lounges in ZRH would be considered "best"? I would love to be able to take a shower before boarding the flight to SIN. I am aware that my C ticket will only allow me entry into the business lounges but I am *G but I have yet to receive my card in the mail. Will this be a problem in ZRH or will I be allowed in solely on the basis of my boarding pass?
Maybe others will have differing experiences, but I've never been able to enter the Senator lounge unless I show my *G card. IME they seem to direct you to the Business lounge as soon as they see a C boarding card.
Old May 28, 13, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by ffsim View Post
Maybe others will have differing experiences, but I've never been able to enter the Senator lounge unless I show my *G card. IME they seem to direct you to the Business lounge as soon as they see a C boarding card.
damn, I was really hoping to be able to get in without a *G card. Does anyone else have a different experience (i.e *G but was able to get in without a card)?

how are the business lounges in ZRH? Is there a "better" one that I should go to? A shower before boarding would be nice I guess.

Thanks
Old May 28, 13, 1:49 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

I'll be using the arrivals lounge (where is this and how do I get there exactly since I'll be arriving on the E gates; do I still have to take the Heidi train?) for a shower and breakfast before heading out to Lucerne on train.
From Dock E follow the signs for "Exit Zurich", ride Heidi's train and go through passport control ("Exit Zurich"). Walk through baggage claim and leave through the customs. The entrance to the Arrival Lounge is immediately on your left but the area immediately in front is cordoned off with ropes. Press the button on the wall to open the door and take the elevator to go upstairs.

The Arrival Lounge is 51 on this map. The entrance on Level 0 and the actual lounge on Level 1.

http://www.zurich-airport.com/Portal...ft_2_gross.jpg
Old May 28, 13, 1:56 am

damn, I was really hoping to be able to get in without a *G card. Does anyone else have a different experience (i.e *G but was able to get in without a card)?

how are the business lounges in ZRH? Is there a "better" one that I should go to? A shower before boarding would be nice I guess.

Thanks
The business lounges (there are just two of them, the main one, and the D Non-Schengen one) are about the same. Never showered in the D Non-Schengen, but showers are available in both. If you're departing from D, use the lounge there, otherwise (departure E gates), then go to the main Business lounge, use the shower there.

As the showers, at least in the main lounges, are located within the Business part of the lounge, there is not (much) need to go to the Senator part.

I've been let in the Senator lounge with "proof" of *G status by a recent printout, but ZRH is known to be quite strict on access rules. So it might be up to the LD if you're let in on the left or right side

Enjoy your trip in Switzerland, if you feel like sharing a beer, let me know ^
Old May 28, 13, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
The business lounges (there are just two of them, the main one, and the D Non-Schengen one) are about the same. Never showered in the D Non-Schengen, but showers are available in both. If you're departing from D, use the lounge there, otherwise (departure E gates), then go to the main Business lounge, use the shower there.

As the showers, at least in the main lounges, are located within the Business part of the lounge, there is not (much) need to go to the Senator part.
I have no experience of using a shower in the Business/Senator lounges in ZRH but the shower for the non-Schengen lounges in D is down the corridor (as are the toilets) and not in the lounge. From a report in this forum it sounds ok.

However, if the OP is coming from outside the airport and departing from E, the Schengen Business Lounge would be more convenient. You only need to go through security once and passport control once. In order to go to the non-Schengen lounge on the way to E, the OP will have to go through security and passport control before the lounge and security again after arriving on Heidi's train (or passport control twice - into Schengen and out of Schengen).
Old May 28, 13, 2:15 pm

I am not sure whether LX 178 has reverted back to the E gates or still departing from the D gates as the inaugural flight departed from D. Either way, I'll probably stick to the D lounges if flight departs from D or main lounges if flight departs from E.
Old May 28, 13, 2:59 pm

I am not sure whether LX 178 has reverted back to the E gates or still departing from the D gates as the inaugural flight departed from D. Either way, I'll probably stick to the D lounges if flight departs from D or main lounges if flight departs from E.
Longhaul flights usually depart from E gates. The use of D43 for the inaugural flight was an exception since D43 has space for a buffet reception, speeches, ribbon cutting, etc. Last year's inaugural flight to PEK also departed from D43.

Interestingly our return flight LX179 on Friday morning (17th) arrived at D39 but longhaul flights are sometimes known to arrive at D gates. AFAIK longhaul flights departing from D are unusual.
Old May 29, 13, 6:10 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Now 24h free WiFi per code

My apologies in advance if this has already been mentioned before on this thread, but a search yielded nothing about it.

When I entered the LX C lounge concourse A just a few minutes ago, I noticed a sign at the reception telling about "unlimited free wifi", but the instructions to log on were still the same as months/weeks before.

Interesting enough, if you log onto the WiFi from the lounge, a different swiss branded login page appears. Upon entering the code (the way to obtain it is still the same, and my old codes from january or february still work) you'll have to watch a 20-second video ad and then you get 24 hours of free WiFi instead of the 60 minutes which used to be offered.

However, I still have to try whether the 24h-login will also work when roaming about the airport, for example in the gate area.

Edit: The following facebook post about the new service mentions that you can use the login airport-wide, as long as you sign in while inside the lounge.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...count=1&ref=nf

Last edited by bruce80; May 29, 13 at 9:06 am
Old May 29, 13, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by bruce80 View Post
My apologies in advance if this has already been mentioned before on this thread, but a search yielded nothing about it.
Swiss Lurkers posted the good news in their thread a couple of days ago but thanks for the confirmation. It's great that free WiFi works not only in the lounges but also airport-wide. ^
Old May 29, 13, 4:02 pm

does anyone else have any experiences regarding entering ZRH senator lounges with *G status but without the physical card (as it has not yet arrived in the mail)?
Old May 30, 13, 12:26 am

Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
Swiss Lurkers posted the good news in their thread a couple of days ago but thanks for the confirmation. It's great that free WiFi works not only in the lounges but also airport-wide. ^
I was wondering why I only had 1 free hour on the 26th... at least I'll have as much internet as I'll want on my way back home next week ^

Search this Thread
Search Engine: