Lounge ZRH [merged Q&A thread]

Old Sep 9, 12, 1:04 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ffsim View Post
I just finished reading through all the posts from 2012 -- I have to say you folks are helpful and incredibly friendly! I'd like to pick your collective brains if I may.

I'm flying YUL-ZRH-DME later this month in C and have a 6 hour scheduled layover in ZRH. According to this thread, I arrive in E dock but leave out of D. Does that mean I have to go through some sort of Swiss immigration process?

If the weather's lousy, I guess I could simply take a shower and hang out at the D dock *G lounge, but I'd really like to visit the city for a couple of hours. Someone already provided a "left luggage" link (thanks for that), but I'm a little unclear on the whole immigration process involved in visiting the city. Any helpful insight?

Thanks!!
If you are connecting from E Dock to D, there is no need to go through passport control. You will clear transfer security on arrival in E, take the Skymetro shuttle to the main terminal and follow the signs to D. The shower room for the *G/Senator Lounge D is outside the lounge down the corridor (as are the toilets).

If you decide to go into the city, follow the sign for Exit Zurich which will take you through passport control. You'll have to walk through the whole length of the baggage claim area even if you don't have any luggage to claim. If you arrive before 1pm on LX in C, you can take a shower and have breakfast in the Arrival Lounge just outside the customs before going into the city.

On return to the airport you go through fast track security for C and F passengers and find your way to D gates (or the*G lounge in D). You go through passport control before entering D departure area.

If you haven't read it already I can recommend this excellent layover guide to Zurich.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16598105-post9.html
Old Sep 9, 12, 2:17 pm

I just finished reading through all the posts from 2012 -- I have to say you folks are helpful and incredibly friendly! I'd like to pick your collective brains if I may.

I'm flying YUL-ZRH-DME later this month in C and have a 6 hour scheduled layover in ZRH. According to this thread, I arrive in E dock but leave out of D. Does that mean I have to go through some sort of Swiss immigration process?

If the weather's lousy, I guess I could simply take a shower and hang out at the D dock *G lounge, but I'd really like to visit the city for a couple of hours. Someone already provided a "left luggage" link (thanks for that), but I'm a little unclear on the whole immigration process involved in visiting the city. Any helpful insight?

Thanks!!
Hi, no, you'll both be arriving and departing in Non-Schengen area, so no immigration into Switzerland.

6 hours is fine for a trip to ZRH, you should find some suggestions with a quick search what to do.

If the weather is lousy, there are some places you could also go, if you don't fancy to stay in the lounge for 6 hours. There is a nice indoor swimming hall with nice showers (I prefer them to the one in the lounges..), jumping area, swimming area and a fun slide, you can access it for 7 CHF all incl, http://www.sportanlagen-wallisellen....id=32&Itemid=4 - without lounge access, this is actually the cheapest option (including transport there, it's still within the local area zone) to get a shower and some relaxation on a longer overlay in ZRH airport.

You can take either bus line 759 or tram 12 directly from the airport to Wallisellen train station, from there it's about 600m to walk, or a local bus (included in ticket) to "Hallenbad station".

Of course, there are also other options for bad weather, like visiting the large "Glattzentrum" shopping mall (directly with Tram 12) or going to Ikea or any other large store.. food is better anywhere but in the lounge in ZRH

Regarding immigration, just follow the signs for either "D gates" (If you don't want to visit Zurich or any other place) and then use the lounge there, or follow "Exit Zürich" if you intend to exit the airport. You'll enter (and leave) the so called "Schengen area" if you do so. As your flights from and to Switzerland are Non-Schengen area flights, you'll arrive and depart outside Schengen, so if you want to enter/exit Switzerland, you need to immigrate/emigrate of Schengen. If you don't need a Visa, it's usually 0-5min queue to enter Switzerland and 0min (I've yet to wait more than 30 seconds) to exit Switzerland, so you don't need to arrive back at the airport more than 60 minutes, even if you like to visit the lounge when heading back before your flight. Have a nice stay ^
Old Sep 9, 12, 3:21 pm

Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
<awesome advice>
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
<more awesome advice>
Thanks a million for your comments -- they're very helpful!

Just one other quick thing -- assuming I decide to check my luggage instead of using a carry-on, is there any need for me to collect it, or is it automatically transferred to my ZRH-DME flight?
Old Sep 9, 12, 3:28 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Just one other quick thing -- assuming I decide to check my luggage instead of using a carry-on, is there any need for me to collect it, or is it automatically transferred to my ZRH-DME flight?
Your luggage can be checked through and you don't need to collect and re-check it in ZRH.
Old Oct 23, 12, 2:55 pm

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before: I'm connecting at ZRH, inbound AA from JFK, outbound LX to TLV. Per the ZRH website AA arrives at "2" (??) I know I should be departing from E and can access the Panorama lounge there, is there another lounge I will pass on the way, preferably one with a shower?

Also, is there a good map of ZRH airport available? Have looked online and the ones I've found are quite confusing. I used to connect at ZRH regularly years ago and remember it being a breeze, but it looks to have grown quite a bit!

Thanks.
Old Oct 23, 12, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bram View Post
Hi, sorry if this has been asked before: I'm connecting at ZRH, inbound AA from JFK, outbound LX to TLV. Per the ZRH website AA arrives at "2" (??) I know I should be departing from E and can access the Panorama lounge there, is there another lounge I will pass on the way, preferably one with a shower?

Also, is there a good map of ZRH airport available? Have looked online and the ones I've found are quite confusing. I used to connect at ZRH regularly years ago and remember it being a breeze, but it looks to have grown quite a bit!

Thanks.
It sounds like AA is confusing the arrival area (2) and the arrival gate (E). The Panorama Lounge in Dock E does not have showers but if you are travelling in Business or have *G status you can use the Swiss Lounge in A. Since the lounge is in the Schengen area of the airport you will have to clear passport control to access the A lounges (Senator Lounge if you are *G, Business Lounge if you are travelling in C). There are also non-Schengen lounges in D, but they are further away and I think there is only one shower down the corridor.

For maps of ZRH try this transfer guide, or if you want to see details of each terminal/dock try thelinks in the lefthand column of this page.
Old Oct 24, 12, 10:22 am

NewbieRunner, thanks for the links, very useful. So do I understand correctly that I can make the entire transfer within the E gates area, without having to board the Skymetro train at all? But then I would be limited to the Panorama lounge (and sorry, forgot to add that travelling C and have Priority Pass as well).
Old Oct 24, 12, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Bram View Post
NewbieRunner, thanks for the links, very useful. So do I understand correctly that I can make the entire transfer within the E gates area, without having to board the Skymetro train at all? But then I would be limited to the Panorama lounge (and sorry, forgot to add that travelling C and have Priority Pass as well).
That's correct. You should be able to make the entire transfer within the E gates area but I don't think the Panorama Lounge has showers. If you want to shower you will have to take the Skymetro train to transfer area A or D and use one of the Swiss Lounges.

Transfer area A is in Schengen so you will have to clear passport control but you shouldn't need to wait more than a few minutes as long as you don't need a visa to enter Schengen. Transfer area D is at the far end of the terminal but you don't need to clear passport control to get there. I think there is one shower outside the lounge (I have seen a door marked "Shower" but haven't actually used it). The Swiss lounges in transfer area A have more showers and also closer to the Skymetro train.
Old Nov 15, 12, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, TK Elite Card, AF Gold Medallion
I'm considering a transfer in ZRH flying BKK-ZRH-NCE (my alternative is BKK-IST-NCE). From what I've read, the lounges at IST are top notch, but unfortunately, there is no award availability for the IST-NCE flight I want. From looking at the Zurich Airport website, it shows that BKK-ZRH (TG970) will arrive at Arrival Area 2 and ZRH-NCE (LX562) departs from B34. I am *G and will be traveling in Business Class.

The scheduled transfer time from 7:25 am to 9:00 am...

• Is the transfer time reasonable, and (assuming an ontime arrival) do I have time to grab a shower in ZRH?
  • How nice are the showers in the lounge(s)? Are amenities (towel, toiletries, etc) provided?
Old Nov 15, 12, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by sunshine-state View Post
I'm considering a transfer in ZRH flying BKK-ZRH-NCE (my alternative is BKK-IST-NCE). From what I've read, the lounges at IST are top notch, but unfortunately, there is no award availability for the IST-NCE flight I want. From looking at the Zurich Airport website, it shows that BKK-ZRH (TG970) will arrive at Arrival Area 2 and ZRH-NCE (LX562) departs from B34. I am *G and will be traveling in Business Class.

The scheduled transfer time from 7:25 am to 9:00 am...

• Is the transfer time reasonable, and (assuming an ontime arrival) do I have time to grab a shower in ZRH?
  • How nice are the showers in the lounge(s)? Are amenities (towel, toiletries, etc) provided?
Yes, more than enough time in ZRH to take a shower. You won't be able to use the Arrival Lounge with a TG flight and *G only, but the C/SEN Lounge in the main terminal does have showers as well. They're ok, and yes, amenities are provided, but the showers are not "great" like the one's in the arrival lounge, and not so plenty one's (however, with the arrival lounge, usage of the regular lounge shower has been lowered, so I doubt you've to wait much - and your connection will give you plenty of time.)
Old Nov 15, 12, 2:48 pm

Yes, more than enough time in ZRH to take a shower. You won't be able to use the Arrival Lounge with a TG flight and *G only, but the C/SEN Lounge in the main terminal does have showers as well. They're ok, and yes, amenities are provided, but the showers are not "great" like the one's in the arrival lounge, and not so plenty one's (however, with the arrival lounge, usage of the regular lounge shower has been lowered, so I doubt you've to wait much - and your connection will give you plenty of time.)
Thanks so much for this information ^^ I may stick with IST, as I'll be with the Mrs-to-be on our honeymoon, and want to plan the best possible experience. I'm also considering spending a day in the European connection city, then flying to NCE in the evening, and I think IST is more appealing to visit for 12 hours than ZRH.
Old Nov 16, 12, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks so much for this information ^^ I may stick with IST, as I'll be with the Mrs-to-be on our honeymoon, and want to plan the best possible experience. I'm also considering spending a day in the European connection city, then flying to NCE in the evening, and I think IST is more appealing to visit for 12 hours than ZRH.
The best possible experience is the ZRH transit in my experience because you arrive around 630A Zurich time and thus have had a full uninterrupted sleep from BKK which you depart around 00:00 Thailand time. The issue with IST is similar to transit in DXB and DOH in that you have a "middle of the night" transit which makes jetlag adjustment somewhat more difficult.

ZHR is much easier to visit for 12 hours by the way than IST (which has traffic issues) and you don't have the queue for visa fees/passport control in ZRH that seems inevitable at IST in my experiences. Don't get me wrong- I think that IST is a beautiful city and wonderful to visit- logistically however with 12 hours I wouldn't think about it and especially compared to how great the flight times are arriving ZRH from BKK.
Old Nov 16, 12, 4:05 am

TRAVELSIG already said some to the situation, I just want to agree with him, that ZRH is probably the easier place to go out for 12 hours than IST.

Especially in winter, ZRH is much more suited than IST (which is a city great during the spring and autumn periods, but not so much in hot summer or cold winter) for a nice day, and 12 hours indeed is perfect, as you arrive in the morning (about lunch in BKK) and then have time to adjust your body clock during the day. ZRH is more relaxed than IST, and especially for a honeymoon trip, the better choice than IST in my eyes (I like IST myself, but wouldn't take a 12 hours trip out there on my honeymoon)
Old Nov 16, 12, 8:11 pm

TRAVELSIG already said some to the situation, I just want to agree with him, that ZRH is probably the easier place to go out for 12 hours than IST.

Especially in winter, ZRH is much more suited than IST (which is a city great during the spring and autumn periods, but not so much in hot summer or cold winter) for a nice day, and 12 hours indeed is perfect, as you arrive in the morning (about lunch in BKK) and then have time to adjust your body clock during the day. ZRH is more relaxed than IST, and especially for a honeymoon trip, the better choice than IST in my eyes (I like IST myself, but wouldn't take a 12 hours trip out there on my honeymoon)
Hmm, this is definitely helpful advice. The IST flight is almost identical times (23:30 departure, 5:40 arrival after a 10hr flight), and I am looking for somewhere new (we've been to ZRH once before). The trip will be in September, so I'm just trying to find a good long layover city with availability from BKK or SIN (coming to Europe after a week in Bali). VIE and CPH are possibilities, but no availability in J on the day I want to travel (departing Sunday 9/22 - or 00:30ish Monday 9/23).
Old Nov 25, 12, 1:32 pm

Programs: Eurobonus (Gold), BA Executive Club (Gold), Miles & More (Senator), Flying Blue (Gold)
Good evening everyone

Next week, I am travelling with my father from CPH through ZRH connecting to HKG in LX F. My father is almost 80 and has some difficulty walking other than short distances. Am I right that there is no individual pickup/transfer from the arriving short-haul aircraft for connecting F passengers? We plan to go to the F lounge. Is this likely to be a short or a long walk from the arriving gate? Is there any possibility to ask for a special service for this situation?

Thanks for any tips!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: