FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   Lounge ZRH [merged Q&A thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/686018-lounge-zrh-merged-q-thread.html)

SmilingBoy Oct 4, 2007 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Hennessy (Post 8507107)
Hmmm. There is not yet a central security in A. This is only scheduled for 2008 (or so).

Hold on, maybe I'm getting it wrong (if so, apologies, I don't fly from E often). Don't I go through security before I get on the train to E?

SmilingBoy.

cpx Oct 4, 2007 4:35 am

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy (Post 8507114)
Hold on, maybe I'm getting it wrong (if so, apologies, I don't fly from E often). Don't I go through security before I get on the train to E?

SmilingBoy.

IIRC the security is after the train.

OP: I've never had my BP stamped at the LX lounge. I guess because I was flying LX. I like LH lounge better.. its the only *A lounge with showers there...
and its generally quiet.

blitz Oct 4, 2007 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Hennessy (Post 8507032)
So you had to go twice through security? First in East and then after the lounge visit in West?

You take the train from main terminal (airside center), no security so far. Arrive at dock E station. Exit the train, right escalator is East, left escalator is West. Before you enter the gate area, there is security control on each side. You can exit East and West whenever you want. Not sure if they let you into East section when not flying to US. To answer your question: Yes you do have to go twice thru security when using Bellevue Lounge and departing from East side.

Anyone knows if LX still offers the "mobile snack lounge" when departing with the Newark BBJ?

jason8612 Dec 6, 2007 4:02 pm

what lounge in ZRH?

I will be flying from MUC-ZRH-LHR next week and wanted to see the star alliance lounge. I got a bit over 1.5hr layover. Is that enough? How would I get to it? Or should I just go to the Swiss lounge?

airoli Dec 7, 2007 1:13 am

90min is an eternity and visiting the Star lounge not a problem. It's a bit of a treck though from the A gates, where your flights will be. Follow the signs towards the B gates until you see a sign directing you to the Star Alliance lounge.

jason8612 Dec 7, 2007 1:23 am

But in your opinion, is it worth to chek out the lounge?

SmilingBoy Dec 7, 2007 1:59 am

I think only SEN and HON can visit the first class side - I think *G not, but not sure.

whiskey_sk Dec 7, 2007 2:37 am

Originally Posted by jason8612 (Post 8853457)
But in your opinion, is it worth to chek out the lounge?

You will get to see the longest attended bar in the world according to their claims. I actually prefer the bar upstairs to the rest of the lounge itself.

airoli Dec 7, 2007 4:10 am

Originally Posted by whiskey_sk (Post 8853646)
You will get to see the longest attended bar in the world according to their claims. I actually prefer the bar upstairs to the rest of the lounge itself.

No, that is in the Swiss lounge. The poster asked about the Star Alliance lounge. With 90min at your hands, the latter is worth a visit as it is just a nicer place.

AirBuffalo Dec 7, 2007 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Hennessy (Post 8507032)
So you had to go twice through security? First in East and then after the lounge visit in West?

Yes, as mentioned, you have to pass through Terminal E security twice (W&E) to use Bellvue lounge & depart to the US. I've never had my BP checked at either security check so I can't imagine you'd have a problem.

I prefer the Bellevue lounge over the others. It has the best views hands down and it's actually quicker to get to your USA departure gate from there than the others since you're already in terminal E.

I think the previous posts regarding security in Terminal A/B refers to the passport check b4 you get to the shopping area. It's not a true security check.

I was unaware that they are consolidating security in the check-in area. A major bummer, if you ask me. Part of the reason that the airport runs so smoothly is distributing the security throughout the terminals (esp. Terminal A).

Finally, I don't understand why the US flights are isolated. Someone told me that this was in place even before the liquid ban? Also, isn't the liquid restriction in place for flights to Great Britain as well, yet BA departs from the other side of Terminal E?

Screwy

airoli Dec 8, 2007 3:17 am

Originally Posted by AirBuffalo (Post 8854924)
I was unaware that they are consolidating security in the check-in area. A major bummer, if you ask me. Part of the reason that the airport runs so smoothly is distributing the security throughout the terminals (esp. Terminal A).

On the contrary, this makes perfect sense as once security is centralized, you will pass it before you do anything else (shopping, visiting lounges etc.) and this takes away the guessing when you will have to leave the lounge to make your flight. Also, you will know that whatever you buy post security can fly with you. And finally, it allows for much more efficient screener shifts as today these people must be shifted back and forth between the various security checkpoints.

Finally, I don't understand why the US flights are isolated. Someone told me that this was in place even before the liquid ban? Also, isn't the liquid restriction in place for flights to Great Britain as well, yet BA departs from the other side of Terminal E?
The isolation has nothing to do with the liquid ban, but rather with some other additional security measures required for flights departing to the US (vs. elsewhere). These also go beyond what is obvious to passengers. Once the new EU III security rules will be implemented airport-wide next year, no more separation will be required.

oliver2002 Dec 8, 2007 4:07 am

Originally Posted by airoli (Post 8859419)
The isolation has nothing to do with the liquid ban, but rather with some other additional security measures required for flights departing to the US (vs. elsewhere). These also go beyond what is obvious to passengers. Once the new EU III security rules will be implemented airport-wide next year, no more separation will be required.

Incoming transit pax from non EU states will still require security, so if you are coming from DEL into E and want to fly to say JFK, you have to go thru security, but not if you are flying to CAI. So some security check will remain in E, although the pax coming from the main new screening point will no longer have to pass thru it to get to their US flights.

airoli Dec 8, 2007 9:24 am

Correct, there will be a transfer security facility at the A, E and B gates as well as one central zone for all local pax. It was my understanding that all transfer pax, irrespective of their orgin & destination, will still have to clear security again. The idea however is that they do this as soon as they enter the transfer zone, and once cleared they can then roam the entire airside area.

Firewind Jan 20, 2008 4:15 am

I have the same questions, except the ones already answered. I shall be traveling BOS-ZRH-CDG on a free business class ticket (all United Mileage Plus points). I'll only have carry-on luggage. Thank you.

f4freeJunior Jan 20, 2008 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Firewind (Post 9102318)
I have the same questions, except the ones already answered. I shall be traveling BOS-ZRH-CDG on a free business class ticket (all United Mileage Plus points). I'll only have carry-on luggage. Thank you.

Yes, you are allowed to use the lounge.