Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa Saved the Airline!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2006, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL,AA,B6,CO,UAL
Lufthansa Saved the Airline!!!!!!

Swiss was losing money alot and they were selling aircraft, cutting routes, personel,cuts and many thing not until Lufthansa brought the airline. Now Swiss is earning money and opening new routes and bringing new personal also adding new aircraft.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 7:56 am

Programs: BA, UA
Originally Posted by Deltafan2006
Swiss was losing money alot and they were selling aircraft, cutting routes, personel,cuts and many thing not until Lufthansa brought the airline. Now Swiss is earning money and opening new routes and bringing new personal also adding new aircraft.
That's a very airliners.net -style statement .. any sources? articles?
Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by chris18london
That's a very airliners.net -style statement .. any sources? articles?
Why sources? This has been widely reported in the press, most of it also on FT.

See http://www.nzz.ch/2006/10/27/wi/articleELT59.html

Klingelnde Kasse der Swiss

nz. Die Swiss hat die günstige konjunkturelle Entwicklung im saisonbedingt starken dritten Quartal genutzt und aus einem Umsatz von 1,1 Mrd. Fr. (+11,1% gegenüber der Vorjahresperiode) einen Reingewinn von 98 (8) Mio. Fr. erwirtschaftet. Weiteren Auftrieb verlieh der Airline die auf mehreren Ebenen vorangetriebene Integration in den Lufthansa-Konzern, wie CEO Christoph Franz dazu ausführte. Man könne den eingeschlagenen Weg mit Zuversicht weiter gehen.

Die Swiss kann nun, nach einer mehrjährigen Durststrecke, beflügelt von günstigen Ertragsperspektiven Arbeitsplätze schaffen. In den kommenden Monaten wird, wie früher gemeldet wurde, die Langstreckenflotte um einen Airbus A330 erweitert.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold / BA GGL&CCR
Originally Posted by chris18london
That's a very airliners.net -style statement
Agree. This isn't a useful thread at all.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL,AA,B6,CO,UAL
So what is the big deal?, this is an aviation forum!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 11, 2006, 10:42 pm

I think this is an appropriate place for this subject.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 10:48 pm

Programs: SQ PPS Solitaire - BA GGL - AF Plat - LH Senator - EK Gold
besides, it wasn't only LH... The whole industry is having a growth time and if you are loosing money NOW, you won't survice the upcoming years of possible recession
Old Nov 12, 2006, 6:44 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bchl
besides, it wasn't only LH... The whole industry is having a growth time and if you are loosing money NOW, you won't survice the upcoming years of possible recession
how true. now please just tell that Austrian Airlines management and the Austrian government who keep pumping money into a sinking ship....
Old Nov 12, 2006, 4:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
at this time it looks as this 'deal' was the best for all parties involved (including the swiss employees in the long run) - which in my opinion is always the best outcome of any 'deal'.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 1:44 am
Suspended

SR was grounded five years ago and war rebirth as LX with public money. Within two years, this money was wasted and the majority of LX's owners made a wise decission as they "gifted" LX to LH. LH has the money and the mainpower to lead a leagacy carrier. With this cheap akquisition LH can develop LX to the advantage of customers (in Switzerland), employees of LX (and many others like unique airport). But at the end LH makes decissions and earns the money!
Old Nov 14, 2006, 1:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by vienna-resident
now please just tell that Austrian Airlines management and the Austrian government who keep pumping money into a sinking ship....
You should not compare LX to OS!

The main owners of OS are under the impression that its better for the region (Vienna and souroundings) if the airline is owned by them. LH neither don't akquire an airline in part nor does LH pay a fortune. And these are two conditions the owner of OS and their management don't accept so far! The consquences of this way of thinking is seen day by day!
Old Nov 14, 2006, 2:47 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by farefinder
You should not compare LX to OS!

The main owners of OS are under the impression that its better for the region (Vienna and souroundings) if the airline is owned by them. LH neither don't akquire an airline in part nor does LH pay a fortune. And these are two conditions the owner of OS and their management don't accept so far! The consquences of this way of thinking is seen day by day!
I agree with you 100%.

This is exactly why I am comparing the two airlines. This kind of blind patriotism by Austrian politicians and OS management is what will bring the airline down in the end. And they still fail to see that this kind of stand-alone airline solution cannot work in todays market consolidation. Even now that Swiss (which was sold to LH at the right point in time) takes up half the OS longhaul fleet, there is absolutely no open discussion about OS' future. They only repeat the mantra that OS must remain under Austrian reign and ownership....
Old Nov 14, 2006, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA, UA
So what is the big deal?, this is an aviation forum!!!!!!!!
It's not an aviation forum, it's a frequent flyer forum..

Good for Swiss but again, pointless thread if it is the general consensus and has been widely reported in the press.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 4:42 pm

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
SR was grounded five years ago and war rebirth as LX with public money.
If only someone could convince the ex-Crossair pilots of this. they still insist that Crossair allowed Swiss to emerge from the mess and NOT public money...

With this cheap akquisition LH can develop LX to the advantage of customers (in Switzerland), employees of LX (and many others like unique airport). But at the end LH makes decissions and earns the money!
I don't care who makes the money as long as I get an airline that I can fly with that gives me decent service and if that is what LH offers, that's fine with me.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 2:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by vienna-resident
... This kind of blind patriotism by Austrian politicians and OS management is what will bring the airline down in the end. And they still fail to see that this kind of stand-alone airline solution cannot work in todays market consolidation. Even now that Swiss (which was sold to LH at the right point in time) takes up half the OS longhaul fleet, there is absolutely no open discussion about OS' future. They only repeat the mantra that OS must remain under Austrian reign and ownership....
Both of us don't have the power to influence the opinion of key decission makers. I am under the impression that these people are not very knowledgeable when it comes to startegic questions about aviation industry. But who cares?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.