Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New carry on regulations with Swiss???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
New carry on regulations with Swiss???

I am wondering how the activity in England has affected Swiss travelers. I am flying Saturday and am wondering if I should pack a carry on or travel without the fun things. Ipod, laptop etc.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have the same question (departing from LAX).
There is no info on LX website.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 2:45 pm

Programs: LH, IHG
Information on Swiss Website

Guys, use this link

http://www.swiss.com/web/IE6/about-s...flight-ops.htm

Cheers,
Frank
Old Aug 11, 2006, 2:56 am

On the upside...

Yes, you will be packing away everything "fun" and hope it arrives in one piece. (Having observed the gusto with which baggage handlers at Heathrow hurl items onto the conveyor belts, that is in no ways guaranteed!).
However, at least flying from London City Airport, once you're past security you appear to be able to shop in duty free to your heart's delight. I called the airport earlier and they confirmed that depending on your destination you're allowed to buy anything you want at the airside outlets. As far as I remember, those outlets also sell "banned items" like liquids, electronics, boxed toiletries, etc. Does this make sense? Probably not, but I am glad I can get a book and a paper to read for the inevitable delay in a lounge-less airport :-)
Old Aug 11, 2006, 3:55 am

Programs: UA MP, Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred, Hilton Honors
Well those of us not flying through the UK on Swiss(LX) wont have to pack away all of our fun stuff. If you are flying JFK-ZRH or LAX-ZRH according to the most current information the only restrictions will be on the liquids and if you are connecting through ZRH to other locations in Europe you should be able to purchase drinks in ZRH and carry them on your flights from ZRH to other European cities, of course unless you are connecting to England from ZRH.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 4:13 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by Hufflepuff
Yes, you will be packing away everything "fun" and hope it arrives in one piece. (Having observed the gusto with which baggage handlers at Heathrow hurl items onto the conveyor belts, that is in no ways guaranteed!).
However, at least flying from London City Airport, once you're past security you appear to be able to shop in duty free to your heart's delight. I called the airport earlier and they confirmed that depending on your destination you're allowed to buy anything you want at the airside outlets. As far as I remember, those outlets also sell "banned items" like liquids, electronics, boxed toiletries, etc. Does this make sense? Probably not, but I am glad I can get a book and a paper to read for the inevitable delay in a lounge-less airport :-)
I don't know if you will be able to board the plane with liquids, but if yes, they probably assume Airport outlets are checked and don't sell liquid explosives in shampoo bottles.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 4:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM, EK PL
I'm flying tomorrow HKG-ZRH-JFK in one shot and am wondering if I will have the same restrictions on both legs. Thinking of just Fedexing my toiletry kit to NYC to avoid the baggage claim...

On another note, I imagine the lounges these days (not just LX) are offering more products for passengers who are showering etc? What about airline amenity kits?
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
You'll only have restrictions on the ZRH to JFK leg. Or should anyway. Jfk to ZRH was restricted but NO ONE checked what i had in my pockets.
ZRH onward was clear to bring whatever.
So far anyway it seems to only be flights to the UK or US.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:17 pm

I'll be flying ZRH-LAX on Swiss this week. How bad are the queues in terminal E? is there still a priority line for passengers travelling in C/F/*elite?

thx.

(spent 1.5 hours at security in FRA 2 days ago (destination ZRH!) - so I'm getting a bit cautious....)
Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:45 pm

Programs: some
Flew ZRH-YUL-YYZ two days ago: The F&C lines in terminal E are perfect, almost no wait time. For flights to Canada there is no restriction of what to take on the plane, but be aware if you connect in Canada you better put everything in you checked luggage as the Canadians adopted the US Policy of no liquids, not even a pricey Laura Biagiotti Deodorant :-(
Old Aug 14, 2006, 1:32 am
Original Poster

At 920 am I was the line in the E wing. The F/C didnt matter at that time of the morning (granted it was sunday)
Old Aug 17, 2006, 4:02 am

hi all,

i'm flying LX22 GVA-JFK on Aug 25. Has anyone had recent experience at GVA since new restrictions apply ?
Thanks for any info.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA plat pro, HH Diamond
i flew ZRG - LHR on sunday and there were no additional restrictions, i had water bottle, some wine and make up with me in carry on as usual. No queues at check-in at all.
Only flights to the USA are restricted with liquids etc from ZRH
Old Mar 23, 2007, 2:27 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Bump. If I understand the rules correctly, I can buy wine at the LHR duty free shop and provided I keep this properly sealed in a bag from the shop I bought it at, together with a receipt proving that it was bought same day, I shouldn't have an issue taking it on to my onward flight ZRH-ATH? Right?
Old Mar 23, 2007, 8:38 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by virtualtroy
Bump. If I understand the rules correctly, I can buy wine at the LHR duty free shop and provided I keep this properly sealed in a bag from the shop I bought it at, together with a receipt proving that it was bought same day, I shouldn't have an issue taking it on to my onward flight ZRH-ATH? Right?
Correct. This is how it is supposed to work. I have not tried it yet myself though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.