BEWARE: SWISS strictly enforces cabin baggage allowance

Old Feb 24, 06, 1:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

BEWARE: SWISS strictly enforces cabin baggage allowance

As most of you know, every Y-Class pax is allowed to bring one piece à 8kg, elite members and C-/F- Class pax are allowed to bring two pieces à 8kg (= NOT one piece à 16kg) on board.

I heard that SWISS tries to enforce this rule and especially everyone flying in Y-Class (also elite members) are effected.
Old Feb 24, 06, 6:31 am

In LHR the other day the were going aroung randomly (!) in the gate holding area picking 5 or so bags, weighing them, and gate checking them for being overweight. Every bag weighed was over 8kg. I just showed my gold card to the supervisor who then told the lady it was fine. But I sooo hate this practice!
Old Feb 24, 06, 6:49 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
I have noticed that it is particularly being enforced at all stations where LX uses third party ground contract personnel (that are not necessarily Swissport) i.e., practically all stations except ZRH, GVA, etc. (LHR uses AZ ground personnel). I have just about NEVER seen it at ZRH; it seems like LX is putting tremendous pressure on their contractors to strictly enforce the rule....Had my run-in a few months ago in AMS (again, contract personnel) as well and that time, even pulling out the STC Gold card was useless (though I managed to sneak my bag on when she wasn't looking ).
Old Feb 24, 06, 7:36 am

Programs: some
It happened to me a couple of weeks ago, when a ZRH Swissport Dragon considered my backpack and trolley as to much luggage. Well, after they tagged it I just asked the maitre de cabin (discretely showing the BP with TCGM written on it) and it was no problem to take both items on board.
Old Feb 26, 06, 9:33 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Where has the common marketing sense gone ?

There is no such industry which can disappoint its loyal high value customers. Or may some airlines be the exception?

Flying the new style "full service" airline (LX) becomes increasingly unpleasant:

- First we are bothered at check in and later at the gate about the 8 kg rule (weight, less than size seems to be their focus - probably they want us to buy new lighter notebooks - are they Sony Vaio shareholders now?)

- Then we are left hungry in business class with no hot food at main meal times on more than 90 minutes flights.

- All this to face then a new frequent flyer program, where TCGM become "Senators" even if not having flown LX for 12 month - including 2 e-vouchers thrown in. (I was stupid enough to qualify)

- Add to this the confusion about the new booking classes (a I class ticket bought in 2005 is recognized by their computer as "award" - the system not changes automatically to J class, which involves lengthy phone calls to the always pleasant BSL call center.)

Frustrated ?

SO WHY SHOULD WE NOT TRY THE LOW COST CARRIERS?
Old Feb 26, 06, 2:38 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by verve
It happened to me a couple of weeks ago, when a ZRH Swissport Dragon considered my backpack and trolley as to much luggage. Well, after they tagged it I just asked the maitre de cabin (discretely showing the BP with TCGM written on it) and it was no problem to take both items on board.
Had some problems when boarding in ZRH on LX Y with a trolley and a notbook case, too. But when say saw my SEN luggage tag the Lady let me pass. First time that this SEN tags where an advantage .
Old Feb 27, 06, 12:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by verve
Good for you, that it worked the way you liked it. However, it’s not everyman’s business to interact with ground/cabin personnel about this issue. Bear also in mind that it is not granted that you carry your cabin baggage when you approaching maitre de cabin. So if “cabin baggage” is an important issue for you, think twice before you book SWISS (eg. you have a connection flight).

Originally Posted by behuman

SO WHY SHOULD WE NOT TRY THE LOW COST CARRIERS?
Try LCCs! It’s always nice to have options and why not use it!

As a side note: Is it only my bad taste that I qualify these cheese sandwiches not very tasty?
Old Feb 28, 06, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Ambassador
Flew from ZRH twice in the last month, were never hassled despite having multiple carryon bags (2-3 each) with at least 1 each that exceeded 8kg. Admittedly these were not monster 22" rollerboards, but nobody even asked. We were flying C class.

Note: They didn't hassle us over the checked bags either, both of which easily exceeded 50 lbs - but most likely because our tickets were booked prior to November 2005.
Old Feb 28, 06, 1:30 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by Ombudsmann
As a side note: Is it only my bad taste that I qualify these cheese sandwiches not very tasty?
It's not you - they're absolutely hideous. But hey, at least we're still getting fed.
Old Feb 28, 06, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.5MM SPG
Flew today and was confronted on both my and Mrs. Oceanrider's carry ons. Surprisingly, this happened at ticketing, not at the gate Mine, which I have been using 10+ years on many Swiss flights is slightly oversized. Based on events in the past year I carry a foldable bag inside it for just such an event. The look on the supervisor's face when I opened my rollaway to pull out a smaller bag was pricless. She then had to figure out a way to get my rollaway to ZUR after already sending my large bags out to MIA. Apparently, that took some effort.

Mrs. Oceanrider was also confronted and made to attempt to place her (legal sized) bag in the impossibly small metal size tester. Needless to say, it did not have a chance of fitting and there was a lot of clucking about it having to be checked. Not to be outdone, she pulled out a copy of the page from Swiss' magazine dealing with carry on limits together with a tape measure.

The supervisor immediately granted her boarding with the bag.

Tomorrow we fly AA. We don't expect any problems there.
Old Mar 1, 06, 3:09 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I usually don't show my hand-luggage at check-in to avoid any weight problem there (the size will always fit into their rules).

Never had a problem at boarding time (mostly flying business or first).
Old Mar 1, 06, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
I was questioned at ZRH checkin some weeks ago. The agent wanted me to check-in my bag but I stated that this is why I purchased the full fare business class ticket and also pointed to my SEN card on his desk.

I was then able to continue as usual. Business class was virtually empty so I could chose from any number of overhead bins.
Old Mar 2, 06, 5:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rudi
I usually don't show my hand-luggage at check-in to avoid any weight problem there (the size will always fit into their rules).
That's good, if it works as you like it. However, some of us are asked by check in agent like: Do you like to check in your baggage? - No! May I see your baggage? - Please put it down...

And after that it may not run that smoothly...
Old Mar 2, 06, 5:55 am
CPL

Programs: LX HON, EK Gold, Starwood Platinum, Avis Chairmans Club, etc.
I think even the usually pragmatic Swiss are staring to loose their common sense in this matter:

I fully agree that people should not be taking their whole household on board, particularly not in economy; however, I find airlines should take a pragmatic approach with premium passengers, top tier frequent flyers and special cases (e.g., families with babies, etc.), and this should be possible with check-in staff being granted the discretion to (continue to) use their (common sense) judgment. One of the main ideas behind the restrictions is to make the boarding and deplaning process as quick as possible, so as to make turnarounds more efficient (some of you may know that Swiss has introduced new deplaning procedures to try and shave off a few minutes and turn the aircraft around faster: planes on the ground don't make money...). A few centimeters here or there or a few grams here or there will, in moderation, generally not make much of a difference, but will maintain a lot of customer goodwill. Also, check-in staff should take the load factor (which they can see) of particular flights into account: I can understand them being stricter on full flights; however, on half empty flights it is simply ridiculous.
Old Mar 2, 06, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.5MM SPG
Originally Posted by Rudi
I have used this approach elsewhere too, but in TLV with its security there is no real way to avoid the bag being scrutinized by the ticket agents after going through the security machines 10 feet away

Last edited by Oceanrider; Mar 2, 06 at 4:31 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: