Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BEWARE: SWISS strictly enforces cabin baggage allowance

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:18 am
mbr

Programs: LX SEN, HH Diamond, IHG, Melia Silver, AVIS, Sixt
I also got the message 3 weeks ago in Zurich at check-in. No need to say that if you have a normal cabin trolley with a notebook inside this is already around 7 Kilos. So you can load 2 shirts besides a lot of air inside the trolley, which makes definitely no sense. THANK YOU SWISS FOR THIS NICE TREATMENT OF YOUR BEST CUSTOMERS!

By the way: I managed to get the trolley in highlighting that I was not aware about the new rule and showing my TCGM card.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold • AA Gold [1MM] • SPG Gold
I flew LX (in J) from ZRH - LHR last Friday evening, and something similar happened to the person sitting in the aisle opposite me.

After boarding, the purser told this man that his bag was "too bulky"; not he said nothign about size or weight, just that it was "too bulky" and would have to be checked. In fact, it was merely a backpack with wheels, and in any case, fit easily inside the overhead bin with little effort... but the purser kept insisting.

The traveller showed his Gold card, and said that in so many years of flying LX, this had never happened; he was arguably frustrated, and I cannot blame him. BTW, J was almost empty, so it did not matter in any case.

I am flying LHR - ZRH - JNB i na few weeks, and will report back then as well.

P.S. They weighed my bag when I flew LHR - ZRH (despite it being a small overnighter) earlier in the week; it was 7kg, so they let it go...
Old Mar 5, 2006, 1:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAmerican_in_London
I am flying LHR - ZRH - JNB i na few weeks, and will report back then as well.
I am always astonished if someone has the option choosing between world class carrier like BA, SA and VS going LHR-JNB non-stop smoothly but does not choose one of these options. Instead, he/she is picking a mediocre carrier like LX and opt for a connecting flight. Is the price difference the issue?
Old Mar 5, 2006, 2:45 pm
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by Ombudsmann
I am always astonished if someone has the option choosing between world class carrier like BA, SA and VS going LHR-JNB non-stop smoothly but does not choose one of these options. Instead, he/she is picking a mediocre carrier like LX and opt for a connecting flight. Is the price difference the issue?
BA might be a Word carrier, it lost its class many years ago. I have been on J short and long haul on BA and LX and I have to say BA is much lower in terms of service. The lie flat bed is the only good thing...

In europe. food is not so good, no drinks before departure, no particular attention from the staff during the flight, except someone "dropping" a tray with careless attitude.

On the other hand, I have found the LX staff really attentive to customers needs, smilling and available. Same for checkin... no one screaming at you: "next please" as you can hear with BA...

Some people (like me) might also prefer the human size of a A330 vs. 747 in which the J class can be really crowded
Old Mar 5, 2006, 6:57 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold • AA Gold [1MM] • SPG Gold
I am actually travelling on an American AAdvantage Award ticket, and as getting award availabilty on BA J is next to impossible, even for an AA EXP, I had no choice but to go with LX; BA was my first choice; sadly, it was not available.

But you're right - I would rather fly direct when available. In fact, I am flying (on award tickets) from LHR - BOM and LHR - NBO on BA J later in the year.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I was using AA miles to fly from SFO to PRG, so my options were quite limited. C seats on AA are fairly mediocre, so my best options were BA and LX. To fly BA would have required flying first to Canada or Mexico at my own expense, so I decided instead to go with LX via LAX.

In general I would not agree with the statement that LX is mediocre, particularly compared with most of the US-flag airlines. The complaint - as noted in the title - is LX's ridiculous carry-on allowance, particularly for C customers I had yet to see bins even close to half full on any flights.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:48 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Anybody have a more recent experience?

Do LX still go on weighing carry-on bags (in particular from LHR)?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PE
I am interested in this question as well, as I was about to post a thread to this effect.

I am travelling to ZRH, via LHR on Delta in Business Class, connecting to LX in Y. I will attempt to check my bags all the way through, which Swiss reservations assured me I could do, even though the tickets were separate itineraries.

My questions are two-fold: As a Platinum Elite and a business class passenger, my wife and I are allowed 3 pieces of checked bags each (will probably have only two each, maybe even 3 total). I am not sure if we are allowed that on LX in Y. Can anyone offer advice? Additionally, our LX itinerary states 20Kg allowance for baggage. Surely that is checked bags, not cabin luggage. If that is the case, are we limited with our carry on compared to our business class flight?

Thanks for the advice. I am also flying LX for the first time in June to NCE via ZRH and looking forward to trying the new Business Class seat from JFK-ZRH on the A333.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
The Swiss baggage guide will be helpful. Your 20kg allowance on your LX itinerary means that each of you can check in a maximum of 20kg (irrespective of how many pieces). So if you have 3 or 4 bags, but remain under 40kg, you'll be fine. If it's more than 40kg, you'll be fine unless the DL agent notices the lower allowance for LX when checking your bags through .

Further, you can bring one small carry-on as per the specifications (which are likely stricter than in DL BusinessElite, and enforced, as this thread demonstrates).
Old Jun 3, 2009, 4:00 pm

Thanks for the reply. I wonder though, what would happen if DL checks my two bags in at JFK all the way through to ZRH and the bags are more than 20Kg. They are fine for DL, but apparently not for LX. Will this be a case where once they're checked in, they should go all the way, or will there be an issue when they transfer the bags from DL to LX at Heathrow?
Old Jun 4, 2009, 5:50 am

Programs: LH/LX
Originally Posted by flyinglots
Thanks for the reply. I wonder though, what would happen if DL checks my two bags in at JFK all the way through to ZRH and the bags are more than 20Kg. They are fine for DL, but apparently not for LX. Will this be a case where once they're checked in, they should go all the way, or will there be an issue when they transfer the bags from DL to LX at Heathrow?
Sorry, no idea, but if you are returning the same way, i.e. ZRH-LHR-JFK then you'll be facing a much bigger problem, as you cannot hide your amount of luggage in ZRH ...
Old Jun 4, 2009, 6:05 am

I am happy to pay a bag fee on the return flight. I just want to ensure my bags will make it on the LX flight from LHR-ZRH as I have a tight connection and cannot claim and recheck my bags.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 5:46 am

Programs: BD*G, GF Silver, BA Blue, VS Silver, Club Tiare Tahia Blue
I flew with my wife from Birmingham - Zurich last month in C and was told in no uncertain terms, at check-in, that we were only allowed one piece of hand luggage each. I pointed out we were travelling in Business and was told, "Doesn't matter, they are the rules, you'll have to check in one bag each and there's no point arguing".

We had actually made a point of taking only hand luggage only because of the tight connection to Istanbul and made sure each bag came in under 8kg.

Being a stickler for trying to predict every possible eventuality, I pulled out my Baggage Allowance printout from Swiss.com and presented it to the C.I. agent (Swissport).

The look on her face! It seemed like five minutes of silence passed, intensley studying the page, before she lifted the phone and spoke to a supervisor.

"Yes, it seems that's a new rule and we haven't been informed" was her eventual response.

I dread to think how many C passengers with two items of hand luggage she's knocked back in the past who were unable to prove their entitlement?
Old Jun 5, 2009, 8:51 am

Programs: LH HON
I never had any problems with hand luggage (except with a non-*A codeshare in REC, but was able to talk myself out of it). However from LHR I only have used LH and not LX. I use LX from LCY. Non of them gave me any problems. However I assume that the SEN card and first class check-in helps here a lot since they don't tend to care in these cases.

Personally I would just do online check-in and then go straight to security. Why talk to check-in agents if you have no luggage to check-in.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: BD*G, GF Silver, BA Blue, VS Silver, Club Tiare Tahia Blue
Originally Posted by mh492
Personally I would just do online check-in and then go straight to security. Why talk to check-in agents if you have no luggage to check-in.
No access to printer prior to flight, unfortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.