Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New film about the demise of Swissair

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

New film about the demise of Swissair

It's called groundingfilm - www.groundingfilm.ch and starts showing in cinemas 19th January. Has anybody seen this before? I hope they put subtitles in English, or at least German.

If it's dialekt only then it's no real point going.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 4:49 pm

Programs: stc, fb, baec
Thumbs up recommended

Just back from the movies... This is in fact a remarkable film, quite dense and thrilling although it makes me think of a greek tragedy considering the fact that we all know how the story has to end. Be prepared and brush up your Swiss German before watching - no subtitles!
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Drama? Documentary? Melodrama ?
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Is it comprehensible for native German speakers ? Or is it just in Swiss mumbling ?
Old Jan 18, 2006, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Is it comprehensible for native German speakers ? Or is it just in Swiss mumbling ?
Caveat: I haven't seen it yet, hope to do so next time I'm over.

It's been featured several times in Swiss TV discussions. It's in Swiss and features at least one of those involved in the debacle (don't know who at this stage).
Old Jan 18, 2006, 2:42 am

Should be ok, give it a try! Actually the film is a combination of documentary and drama with the first aspect being the more interesting, imho. As the film is not only about the events at SR but - closely linked to it - also quite critic about the Swiss politico-economic decisionmakers as a whole it will certainly appeal more to an audience that is interested in Swiss political and economical matters as well.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 4:52 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
Originally Posted by Roger
It's in Swiss and features at least one of those involved in the debacle (don't know who at this stage).
correct, Matthias Mölleney plays himself as a personnel officer / staff manager
Old Jan 18, 2006, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I wonder if the film will ever make it into the IFE program of SWISS flights?
Old Jan 18, 2006, 6:34 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
I wonder if the film will ever make it into the IFE program of SWISS flights?

I'd be interested to see if it gets on the Discovery Wings Channel, they need some new material there!! (obviously dubbed into English, no one here reads subtitles unless there at an arthouse film or the opera! ) One weekend there wasn't even any airline/craft programs on at all!
Old Jan 18, 2006, 7:00 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by zuricher
Just back from the movies... This is in fact a remarkable film, quite dense and thrilling although it makes me think of a greek tragedy considering the fact that we all know how the story has to end. Be prepared and brush up your Swiss German before watching - no subtitles!
They should at least have French subtitles, no?
Old Jan 18, 2006, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
They should at least have French subtitles, no?
The version I saw here in Zurich was not subtitled at all (apart from short scenes in Italian which got German subtitles). In fact I'm not even sure whether the film will also be shown in the Romandie anytime soon.
By the way, Mr Mölleney's role in this film is absolutely minuscule - considering both the length of his appearance and the substance of what he has to say...
Old Jan 18, 2006, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by zuricher
The version I saw here in Zurich was not subtitled at all (apart from short scenes in Italian which got German subtitles). In fact I'm not even sure whether the film will also be shown in the Romandie anytime soon.
You must have seen an advanced screening of it since it doesn't even open in Zurich until tomorrow (Thurs Jan 19)...I'll check out the kino listings tomorrow and see what it says about subtitles..I understand some Züri-tüdsch but when they speed through it, hopeless...
Old Jan 18, 2006, 3:10 pm

Yes, this was in fact an advanced screening, albeit not one for a very exclusive crowd I'm afraid... Cinema listings for cities like Basel, Berne or Zurich are refering to the language of this Film as being "CH-D" - Swiss German, without any indication concerning subtitles. Didn't find any information on screenings in the French speaking parts of CH at all. Even if your Swiss German is not 100% fluent I'd give this film a try. As you are most probably rather well informed about the background of the whole story, you may nevertheless grasp the important points, I'm sure.
(And one small goodie (or even a laugh...) for native English-speakers might be Jackie Fouse's rather cute English accent when trying to speak German)
Old Jan 20, 2006, 9:44 pm

Programs: United MP, Qatar Privilege, Lufthansa
Will someone please post a synopsis of the film? Why can't they put sub-titles to it? I saw advertisements all over Zurich last week when I was there. I have often wondered how it is that the Swiss - otherwise paragons of organisation, efficiency and business acumen - could screw up so badly with Swissair.

Aside: Will they show it on Swiss flights?
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by agtoau
I have often wondered how it is that the Swiss - otherwise paragons of organisation, efficiency and business acumen - could screw up so badly with Swissair.
wo ein Wille ist, ist auch ein Weg...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.