31.12.2005 Gold requalification

Old Nov 30, 05, 3:27 am
Original Poster

31.12.2005 Gold requalification

Hi my dear fellow FTers !

Since the end of the year is comming up, I've been checking my mileage account and I would really appreciate your opinions on the matter that i cant help think of :

this year i flew 54'500 miles so i'm only 5'500 miles short of reaching the 60'000 to maintain Gold status.
Now, because of LH, we all know that our status stays what it is for the next 2 years. So it appears not important at all to reach 60k.
BUT, if I remember right, I think last year (or was it the year before?), they extended the validity of status for 1 other year to everyone, AND to those who actually flew the 60k, they got kinda of a bonus like free upgrade coupons or something ?

SO my question : is it worth for me to take a cheap C weekend special trip via ZRH to a Europe destination (should be 6'000 miles, right?), in order to reach 60k and expect some kinda bonus from Swiss ??

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and information.
Best to all of u !
Old Nov 30, 05, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by swiss traveler
Hi my dear fellow FTers !

Since the end of the year is comming up, I've been checking my mileage account and I would really appreciate your opinions on the matter that i cant help think of :

this year i flew 54'500 miles so i'm only 5'500 miles short of reaching the 60'000 to maintain Gold status.
Now, because of LH, we all know that our status stays what it is for the next 2 years. So it appears not important at all to reach 60k.
BUT, if I remember right, I think last year (or was it the year before?), they extended the validity of status for 1 other year to everyone, AND to those who actually flew the 60k, they got kinda of a bonus like free upgrade coupons or something ?

SO my question : is it worth for me to take a cheap C weekend special trip via ZRH to a Europe destination (should be 6'000 miles, right?), in order to reach 60k and expect some kinda bonus from Swiss ??

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and information.
Best to all of u !
The last time I've requalified and they gave yet another extension for free (was that in 2002/2003?) it was completely worthless. I think they offered some C upgrades as a loyalty bonus. I would have rather had an extra year of Gold membership instead of the upgrades.
Old Nov 30, 05, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by swiss traveler
is it worth for me to take a cheap C weekend special trip via ZRH to a Europe destination (should be 6'000 miles, right?), in order to reach 60k and expect some kinda bonus from Swiss ??
The "kinda" bonus will be an electronic voucher for an one-way upgrade worldwide. If you wait until the conversion to miles&more in March/April 2006 without using it, it will be "converted" to 50,000 additional miles - worth having IMO.

Rgds

Marvin
Old Nov 30, 05, 5:40 am

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
Hello,

I have activated my last remaining brain cells and remember following:

2001 was a free requalification year, due to the circumstances. But there were the famous 240K-promos…
2002 was a free requalification year again, because of the change Qualiflyer->STC. As far I remember, 20K or 25K miles were credited to each "real requalified" Gold.
2003 was a free requalification year again, and 4 systemwide oneway-upgrades valid until the end of 2004 were "donated". I had to use two of them for MUC-ZRH-MUC…
2004 was the only year in which the Gold-membership could expire. Anyway, we got a free companion-ticket.

The upgrade vouchers you mentioned are credited anyway every 50K miles (since Jan 2005), and you got them independent if you reach the necessary 60K miles needed for a requalification. So I wonder if there will be a special honour for those have reached Gold again on the regular way… (thanks to the famous mileage runs 2005, I will get my second upgrade-voucher soon ).

Patrick
Old Nov 30, 05, 5:41 am
mbr

Programs: LX HON, SK Diamond, AF Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Melia Silver, AVIS, Sixt
In my opinion it does not makes sense to reach the 60K Miles as the status will remain anyway. I'm already using my M&M card for all my flights since this gives me more miles.
Old Nov 30, 05, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rorschi
2003 was a free requalification year again, and 4 systemwide oneway-upgrades valid until the end of 2004 were "donated". I had to use two of them for MUC-ZRH-MUC…
2004 was the only year in which the Gold-membership could expire. Anyway, we got a free companion-ticket.

Patrick
Yeap that was my point : if reaching 60k means again getting 4 systemwide upgrades, it seems quite worth for my to fly the remaining only 5'500 miles...

Could anyone (CHInsider, but I think he's not woth swiss any more, but maybe someone replaced him ??) confirm/ have more info about that ?

Thanks !
Old Nov 30, 05, 7:03 am
mbr

Programs: LX HON, SK Diamond, AF Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Melia Silver, AVIS, Sixt
According my information there is no "special gift" planned for the people which are requalifying. I got this information from a friend of mine which is working for the STC Gold Support. But the information is unofficial of course. Probably they will surprise us.
Old Nov 30, 05, 8:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mbr
In my opinion it does not makes sense to reach the 60K Miles as the status will remain anyway.
I fully agree with mbr. In my opinion it doesn't make sense at all, and I seriously doubt that we will get st this year.
Old Nov 30, 05, 1:13 pm

Programs: M&M, LHW, Shangri-La.
The M&M page says:
"At the time when a qualification is reached or renewed, Senator Card holders will receive two eVouchers, for example for an upgrade on an intercontinental route. The eVouchers will be credited to your account automatically after you have received your new Senator Card."

A way to select who gets the vouchers and who does not would be to base this on who (re-)qualified for Gold in 2005 and who did not.

Sorry to bring this up again - I think it was discussed once, but I cannot remember/find what the outcome of that discussion was.
Old Nov 30, 05, 2:45 pm

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
@LoungeLizzard: Everybody who gets a new SEN card gets the eVouchers. So we will receive them independent if we requalify on the official way or not.

@swiss traveler: Why not ask an advice from SWISS...? May be they will donate you a special gift if you reach the 60K...!

Greetings from the ZRH-Lounge... nobody else here from our board...

Patrick
Old Dec 15, 05, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Hi all,
Just wanted to keep you posted on some developments on the topic here.
Called SWISS gold line to ask and the lady didnt know anything about it. But she sounded like she knew as much about airline programmes as I do about mechanics, which is very little.
Then I had a meeting with my agent at SWISS for work and asked her if I should get to 60k. She said yes, I think it would be a good thing to do. She didnt want to say any off-the-record confirmation about any gift and kept being vague, but she did advice me to get to 60. Which makes sense to me. Right after a merger, usually if you have a good sense of business, you start by rewarding your loyal custommers, right ?
Therefore, after careful consideration, I've decided to take a swiss-special business class offer from wednesday and fly in C from GVA TO VIE via ZRH, and return, alltogether 6'000 miles for CHF 500.- not too bad I think !
Hope the gift will be nice and big !

Search this Thread