FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   Possible Flying Blue status match for STC Elites (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/498088-possible-flying-blue-status-match-stc-elites.html)

airoli Nov 29, 05 2:43 pm

Possible Flying Blue status match for STC Elites

I ran into some Flying Blue marketeers today at ZRH. One of them started talking to me, asking if I already knew Flying Blue. Before I had the time to answer, he must have determined that I knew nada about frequent flyer programs and started to explain, and this is a literal quote, "it's something like a Supercard, except you get a free flight and not a frying pan." :D I had a good laugh at that moment!

Seriously though, once I let it shine through that I do earn a mile or two occasionally, ;) he was determined to sign me up for FB. I resisted for now, but asked about a possible status match for STC Elites. His answer: "Given the current situation for Swiss Elite members, KLM/Air France would definitely inclined to consider this." So there. If anyone needs a FB status match, this might be a good time to talk to the AF or KL sales offices in Switzerland.

bchl Nov 30, 05 2:05 am

well, thanks for the offer, but personally I really believe that Skyteam is the worst of the three alliances out there. Holding cards from *A and Oneworld, does it make sense to get another card? :)

mbr Nov 30, 05 5:36 am

I already got a status match with Flying Blue two years ago (when it was still Frequence Plus) and I even requalified last year because I used Air France a lot. Unfortunately this year I will not requalify (I'm far away) and therefore I think they will not keep my status match anyway.

Glenlivet Nov 30, 05 6:28 am

Originally Posted by airoli
I ran into some Flying Blue marketeers today at ZRH. One of them started talking to me, asking if I already knew Flying Blue. Before I had the time to answer, he must have determined that I knew nada about frequent flyer programs and started to explain, and this is a literal quote, "it's something like a Supercard, except you get a free flight and not a frying pan." :D I had a good laugh at that moment!

Seriously though, once I let it shine through that I do earn a mile or two occasionally, ;) he was determined to sign me up for FB. I resisted for now, but asked about a possible status match for STC Elites. His answer: "Given the current situation for Swiss Elite members, KLM/Air France would definitely inclined to consider this." So there. If anyone needs a FB status match, this might be a good time to talk to the AF or KL sales offices in Switzerland.

At the time SR went down I was Gold and received a letter from Flying Dutchman offering to match my status if I joined them. Someone at SR told me that KL most probably got their FF list. Skyteam is probably trying again, but this time doesn't have LX FF list!!! I agree with bchl Skyteam may not be the first choice for someone who doesn't want to join *A. Remember all those wonderful days spent in CDG due to AF annual strikes :td: just before or at the beginning of the holidays/vacations...

Michael Tantini Nov 30, 05 7:20 am

Originally Posted by bchl
well, thanks for the offer, but personally I really believe that Skyteam is the worst of the three alliances out there. Holding cards from *A and Oneworld, does it make sense to get another card? :)

For me, it does make sense - provided I would not have to give back the Swiss gold status.

Do you know more about the possible status match? Would AirFrance expect one to give back the Swiss status or could one keep the Swiss status?

bchl Nov 30, 05 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Michael Tantini
For me, it does make sense - provided I would not have to give back the Swiss gold status.

Do you know more about the possible status match? Would AirFrance expect one to give back the Swiss status or could one keep the Swiss status?

Status match means you will be matched to the equivalent level of another airline. In this case you can surely keep your current status with Swiss.

Usually the airlines/hotels do this to gain more businesses from you. A frequent flyer doesn't really want to qualify from the very beginning of a new airline and if he gets the higher status right from the beginning, he would rather consider moving more businesses to the new airline.

f0zzyNUE Dec 18, 05 3:00 pm

bump - did anyone try a status match (and succeed) ;) ???

Michael Tantini Dec 19, 05 4:05 am

Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
bump - did anyone try a status match (and succeed) ;) ???

I sent them a request but no answer at all :td: :td: :td:

GVA Dec 19, 05 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Michael Tantini
I sent them a request but no answer at all :td: :td: :td:

Who does one write/email/fax to??

hegira Dec 19, 05 10:03 am

Originally Posted by bchl

Skyteam is growing and there are some good perks - namely lifetime Platinum after 10 years and free upgrades on NW domestic US flights for elite Flying Blue members.

The AF option probably makes the most sense for people based in GVA, given AF frequent service and LX having progressively abandoned that market.

On the downside, AF is generally not very responsive and Flying Blue customer service is very slow, so don't expect and immediate reply.