Search

Free Food again!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up Free Food again!

Good news: (from NZZ)

Swiss kehrt zur kostenlosen Verpflegung zurück

Die Swiss kehrt zur kostenlosen Verpflegung auf Europa-Flügen zurück. Ab dem 25. Mai muss für Sandwiches, Kaffee und andere Happen das Portemonnaie nicht mehr gezückt werden. Die Snacks werden aus der Nestlé-Küche kommen. Swiss hat den Nahrungsmittelkonzern als Partner gewonnen, wie es in einer Mitteilung heisst.

rel. Vorbei die Zeiten, da sich auf Europaflügen von Swiss die Flugbegleiterin wie in SBB-Zügen mit dem «Wägeli» durch den Gang bewegte und Sandwiches von durchschnittlicher Qualität zu überdurchschnittlichen Preisen anbot. Ab dem 25. Mai soll auf Swiss-Flügen auch auf europäischen Strecken gelten, was ansonsten Standard ist: Die Verpflegung ist im Tickt-Preis inbegriffen.

Swiss kündigt den Strategiewechsel als ein «zentrales Element» in der laufenden Produkteoffensive an. Die Angebote werden aus der Küche des Nahrungsmittelkonzern Nestlé kommen, denn die Swiss hat den Konzern als Verpflegungspartner gewonnen, wie es in einer Mitteilung der Airline weiter heisst. Beide Partner stünden für Schweizer Qualität, so die Swiss, wobei Nestlé mit dem holländischen Unternehmen Supplair zusammenarbeiten werde.

Geliefert wird die Bordverpflegung von Gate Gourmet, die auch weiterhin das Essen auf Langstreckenflügen und in der Business Class anbietet.

Translation in short: as of May 25 will Swiss serve again free drinks and food in Economy Class in Europe! ^ ^ ^
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Here the official announcement in English:

Free food and drinks in Swiss Economy on European flights

Inflight food and drinks will again be included in the Swiss Economy ticket price on SWISS’s European services from May 25. The complimentary foodservice is a key element in Swiss International Air Lines’ current product enhancement initiative. Nestlé will be SWISS’s foodservice partner for the new Swiss Economy inflight product on the carrier’s European services.

SWISS will be reintroducing free food and drinks in Swiss Economy class on all its European flights on May 25. The carrier will thus again offer customer-friendly complimentary inflight foodservice to all its passengers on all its services systemwide. Travellers will be offered a selection of hot or cold snacks and drinks, depending on the time of day and the length of the flight.

New partner Nestlé

The snacks and some of the beverages for the new service will be provided by Nestlé. Both SWISS and Nestlé are bywords for Swiss quality in their respective fields. The new European food and beverage product will be introduced as early as May 25.

Nestlé will be working together with Dutch-based Supplair to provide the new products. Gate Gourmet will still deliver the catering to SWISS’s flights, and will continue to provide the food and beverages for SWISS’s long-haul services and the Swiss Business cabin on its European flights.

An even stronger position as a quality airline

“In reintroducing complimentary food and drinks for our European Swiss Economy customers, we are marking a further milestone in our ongoing product enhancement endeavours,” says Christoph Franz, President & Chief Executive Officer of SWISS.

“Those endeavours have already included the comfortable new seats on our Airbus A320s and the new and customer-friendly user concept at Zurich Airport,” Franz continues. “And all these innovations are helping strengthen SWISS’s position as a genuine quality airline.”
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:16 am

Programs: some
Great News! Some things take a little longer to change, but at least they change :-)
Will be interested to sample the new offers on my last 10k Milage run to BCN on May 28 & 29
Do you think they will also include wine and beer?
Old Apr 21, 2005, 1:05 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
"Our long-term strategy is that we don't have one..."

Seriously though, it seems as if the LH deal already starts paying off. Good for us!
Old Apr 21, 2005, 11:53 am

Programs: LX, AZ, BA, LH, SA
You can't sell european flights for 200+ euros and not provide cabin service. Any human being with average IQ can work it out. It took 2+ years of declining load factors on european flights for Swiss management. Kudos.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:19 pm

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by hilltopper
You can't sell european flights for 200+ euros and not provide cabin service. Any human being with average IQ can work it out. It took 2+ years of declining load factors on european flights for Swiss management. Kudos.
on the other hand side swiss offers the lowest rates for intra-european flights (from my NUE-based experience). i could also choose to fly LH, OS, AF or KL ex NUE but their rates are in average at least 100€ more expensive than LX-flights!

of course i appreciate the return of on-board service although i would not really need it.

just my 2ct :-)
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:36 pm

Free alcohol on Swiss international flights?

Can anyone tell me whether they offer free alcohol in economy on Swiss trans-atlantic flights? I have flown Delta and United recently and they both have started charging for alcohol in economy class for European flights. I have never flown Swiss before and I have booked a flight in July.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:45 pm

Programs: BD Blue
Thats excellent news. i'll be flying from Manchester to Zurich and back on a 4 leg journey to Hong kong in September!
Old Apr 21, 2005, 1:03 pm

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by SwissTransplant
Can anyone tell me whether they offer free alcohol in economy on Swiss trans-atlantic flights? I have flown Delta and United recently and they both have started charging for alcohol in economy class for European flights. I have never flown Swiss before and I have booked a flight in July.
yes they do serve free alcohol in transatlantic economy.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 1:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by airoli
"Our long-term strategy is that we don't have one..."

Seriously though, it seems as if the LH deal already starts paying off. Good for us!
Careful. Last time I did an intra European LH flight at the back, it was with LH's "new concept" economy product that didn't serve drinks (not even a cup of tea on one flight from FRA-MAN and they wouldn't even let you pay for a drink)!
Old Apr 21, 2005, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by SwissTransplant
Sometimes they even ask whether you want an after dinner liquor. Sometimes they don't.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 5:55 am
mbr

Programs: LX SEN, HH Diamond, IHG, Melia Silver, AVIS, Sixt
Was time for Swiss to realize that this "concept" was a big mistake. I had several flight in Y-Class in Europe and paid around CHF 2000.- (=USD 1700.-). To sit in the airplane with such a expensive ticket and to have to pay for a Drink/Sandwich is really a pity. Of course passengers with a "low fare ticket" will probably accept that.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 2:34 am
Suspended

Programs: All Programs
Guys, don't be too optimistic. Let's first see what kind of "food" we will be offered. Nestle as a partner? Hm... I guess the "food" could be a small bottle of water and a lousy piece of chocolate!
Old Apr 23, 2005, 3:30 am

Programs: Miles & More FTL, Flying Blue Silver, SPG, HHonors, LHW LeadersClub
Originally Posted by emozioni
Guys, don't be too optimistic. Let's first see what kind of "food" we will be offered. Nestle as a partner? Hm... I guess the "food" could be a small bottle of water and a lousy piece of chocolate!
I read in a swiss newspaper (Tribune de Genève I think) that in the afternoon they will serve ice-cream with a drink (I hope that will be a Moevenpick one... )
Old Apr 25, 2005, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Just back from a Y trip long-haul. For all you front-cabin afficionados who miss some of the former high-end service, please find a crumb of comfort in declining service standards in long-haul economy as well. Paper cups and paper plates are the new standard, but the food is fine - if you like chicken noodles or pasta

The real bummer is not getting even a juice on the early-morning european connecting services - not nice if you have no time to stock up in the lounge. So it's good news that post May 25 that might change.

But it took some time for the lesson to sink in, right ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.