Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Competition 41*41

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2003, 4:37 pm

Programs: Miles & More FTL, Flying Blue Silver, SPG, HHonors, LHW LeadersClub
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by galaba:
Thanks Alex

Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice weekend trip in February 2004 to a destination serviced by Swiss? I'd like to go somewhere I've never been before.
</font>
Budapest is a nice city for a long week-end trip.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 3:54 am

nice suggestion, provided you enjoy walking around when it's freezing outside (Feb in Budapest for a long week-end ?! Get a hotel with a nice and warm room !! ). All right, so Galaba is based in Denmark, but still....
I guess your question is very vague, where have you been before, do you like snow, sea, sun, ..... there are 41 destinations and 41 ways to give you an answer !
Old Oct 6, 2003, 4:33 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
2 years ago I did go to Barcelona on a February weekend (LX webspecial) and was pleasantly surprised by the warm weather and lively atmosphere. It was a welcome escape from home's gloomy winter days.

------------------
truly yours. airOli.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 10:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue life Platinum , *A Gold ,PC Plat. IC Royal Ambassador , SPG Platinum
I just called swiss to reserve an award flight. (I won 2) They told me the game is stoped for 3 weeks.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 12:42 am
SK

That's what I had thought too. But when I tried to book Budapest for the ticket I won in the 41/41 competition, they couldn't issue the ticket, because Budapest does not belong to those destinations that can handle e-tickets.
The agent actually went through with the reservation, even charged the taxes on my credit card. But when time came for her to input my email for the e-ticket confirmation, she discovered that she couldn't go any further, because Budapest "is not an e-ticket station". The supervisor, who intervened to solve the situation, came to the same conclusion: no e-ticket possible for Budapest. I asked them to issue me a paper ticket instead. No, not possible, as, per the rules of the competition, it has to be e-ticket only. Eventually, and after more than half an hour on the phone to Switzerland, I decided to take Prague instead (where e-ticketing is available...)
So, not all European destinations are available, despite what one would think from the wording of the competition!

P.S. As Marvin and Frequent_Flyer1 said, the agent was extremely nice and made every effort to help me out, despite the fact that she failed in the end.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pccs:
Budapest is a nice city for a long week-end trip.</font>
[This message has been edited by SK (edited 10-08-2003).]
Old Oct 8, 2003, 3:59 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SK:
No, not possible, as, per the rules of the competition, it has to be e-ticket only. Eventually, and after more than half an hour on the phone to Switzerland, I decided to take Prague instead (where e-ticketing is available...)
So, not all European destinations are available, despite what one would think from the wording of the competition!
</font>
On September, 30 I reserved my two free tickets to Budapest without problems. The agent (very nice too) told me that's not an e-ticket, so they are going to sent it to me by postal mail. Perhaps they have changed the rules...
Old Oct 8, 2003, 10:07 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I just booked a trip to Lisbon in the end of March. This should leave me with some options depending on the weather. If it's so-so then I'll just spend the time in the city, if it's sunny then I'll head for the coast or go hiking in one of the national parks. Hope the rest of you are lucky if the competition comes back.

And yes, very friendly LX staff.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 3:55 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Concerto:
By the way, you are not liable for the full taxes. Instead of CHF82 for Nuremberg I pay CHF59, instead of CHF94 for Frankfurt CHF39, etc. The Swiss taxes seem to be exempt.</font>
That's true Concerto. For GVA-ZRH-BUD I only have to pay CHF 27.50 instead of CHF 86.00, that's great ! Do you know why we don't have to pay the Swiss airport taxes ? Does SWISS pay them for us ? Again thanks to SWISS !
Old Oct 10, 2003, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Yes, they absorb the Swiss taxes for us.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 3:34 pm
SK

Perhaps if you originate in Switzerland only? Because I paid the full ~$90 for my ATH-PRG ticket.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Concerto:
Yes, they absorb the Swiss taxes for us.</font>
Old Oct 11, 2003, 1:12 pm

TO SK:

as for the e-ticket problem, I booked a flight at the end of Sept to PMI (palma) which is not a e-ticket destination w/ not problem. Just had to pick-up my paper ticket ar the SWISS NYC reservation office. Anyway Prague is a great city and I'm sure you'll enjoy it more than Budapest. When are you flying? Stay away from the cab drivers & don't pay more than 15-20 CZK for a beer. If you want sme tips on Prague let me know, I'm there several times a year.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 12:24 am
SK

OK, so two of you guys (so far) have booked non-eticket destinations. I wonder why the agent couldn't do in my case, and then the supervisor couldn't/woudln't either. I've started to think that I'd trade their "being very nice" with being able to ticket me where I wanted to go...

Thanks for your tips, Frank3172. My ticket is for Jan.2-5 (Fri-Mon). And I don't drink beer, so I don't worry about its price
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Frank3172:
TO SK:

as for the e-ticket problem, I booked a flight at the end of Sept to PMI (palma) which is not a e-ticket destination w/ not problem. Just had to pick-up my paper ticket ar the SWISS NYC reservation office. Anyway Prague is a great city and I'm sure you'll enjoy it more than Budapest. When are you flying? Stay away from the cab drivers & don't pay more than 15-20 CZK for a beer. If you want sme tips on Prague let me know, I'm there several times a year.</font>
Old Oct 12, 2003, 9:56 am

Is it possible to get a pre-assigned seat when flying in E-class and how would I go about doing that?
Old Oct 12, 2003, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I was told that whatever your destination, point of origin or routing, that Swiss absorbed the taxes in Switzerland. The people at the other end of the phone are indeed very nice, but not always very "au courant" with what's going on. However, when the ticket is actually issued, the taxes should have been amended. Call them.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 11:18 am
SK

Thanks, I did. Taxes were knocked down to CHF78.5, which is about $60. Here is the breakdown in the email they sent me:

TAXES: CHF34.50GR CHF17.00WP CHF27XT

GR is for Greece, I am sure. Not sure what the other two are...
I was told that whatever your destination, point of origin or routing, that Swiss absorbed the taxes in Switzerland. The people at the other end of the phone are indeed very nice, but not always very "au courant" with what's going on. However, when the ticket is actually issued, the taxes should have been amended. Call them.</font>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.