LX Seating-thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:03 pm

5d or 6k

A340 redeye JNB ZRH. which seat is better:5d or 6k? flying solo. Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:37 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by jr2009
A340 redeye JNB ZRH. which seat is better:5d or 6k? flying solo. Thanks for any help.
Id go for 5D, since it is in the more quiet forward cabin. it has more space than 6K, but lacks a window.
48 hours before departure all the blocked seats become available. You should then try to go for 4A or a similar seat.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:40 am

Programs: M&M HON***
I prefer any seat in rows 4 and 5 over any other seat in the remaining part of the cabin. Rows 4 and 5 are in the small front part of the cabin and usually get served first, receive more attention and it is quiter there.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
LX Seating-thread
Old Jun 30, 2018, 3:17 pm

Thank you. is it 48 or 24 hours before when blocked seats open up. I'm *g with UA but no Swiss status.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Nick Art

Id go for 5D, since it is in the more quiet forward cabin. it has more space than 6K, but lacks a window.
Define "more space" in 5D. 6K has waaaay more legrom than 5D.

Last edited by goliath; Jun 30, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Old Jul 1, 2018, 1:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by goliath
Define "more space" in 5D. 6K has waaaay more legrom than 5D.
6K is directly at the aisle, while 5D has armrests on both sides. While legroom in 6K might be better, I think the space to both sides is more important.
Also at such an aisle seat that is directly at the aisle Ive had it happen enough to me that I was awoken by somebody passing by for example.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:01 am

I see. It seems you are talking about storage space. To me, personal space is much more important.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 6:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I see. It seems you are talking about storage space. To me, personal space is much more important.
But isnt that personal space much better in 5D since there is an armrest between the aisle and the seat? Whereas in 6K the seat is directly at the aisle with nothing inbetween? I find having something between seat and aisle much more concenient since it kinda shields you towards the aisle
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:24 am

I value available phyiscal space, whereas you seem to value privacy. Everybody has different preferences.

I've just flown home in 4D last night, and I deliberately chose 4D over 4G, because it only has a physical "wall" on one side and is open towards the aisle on the other side. Being a side sleeper, this gives me more room to move myself around when the seat is in "bed mode".

I think there is no discussion about footwell size, where any bulkhead seat >>>> any seat that is open towards the aisle on one side >> any seat where you have to stick your feet in between the two seats in front of you.

In addition to your feet being trapped the worst of any seat, your body is also trapped between two "walls" in 5D. Therefore, 5D is far down on my list of preferred seats, only the same type of seat in the second business class cabin would be further down.

Last edited by goliath; Jul 1, 2018 at 8:43 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I value available phyiscal space, whereas you seem to value privacy. Everybody has different preferences.

I've just flown home in 4D last night, and I deliberately chose 4D over 4G, because it only has a physical "wall" on one side and is open towards the aisle on the other side. Being a side sleeper, this gives me more room to move myself around when the seat is in "bed mode".

I think there is no discussion about footwell size, where any bulkhead seat >>>> any seat that is open towards the aisle on one side >> any seat where you have to stick your feet in between the two seats in front of you.

In addition to your feet being trapped the worst of any seat, your body is also trapped between two "walls" in 5D. Therefore, 5D is far down on my list of preferred seats, only the same type of seat in the second business class cabin would be further down.
As you have rightly guessed I prefer privacy over that space. But to clarify: I only prefer this specific row 5 seat because it is in the forward cabin. Row 6 would be very close after it. Im lucky I can sleep without moving at all: So I have no problem with the small footwell. Must be a leftover of my military time

4A > 6A > 5K > all even A seats > all uneven K seats + 14K > 4G > 6G > 4K > 6K > 4D > 6D > 5D > 5G > all even K seats > all even G seats - 14G + 15G and all uneven D seats + 14D - 15D > all even D seats - 14D + 15D and all uneven G seats + 14G - 15G
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Thanks for the advice in this thread. I completely forgot to check in at t-48, but remembered at t-25. The front cabin was full, but 6A was available on this A330 and was a very nice seat indeed. But I must say the TV was much smaller than what I'm used to these days on most other airlines in business class.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:28 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stimpy
Thanks for the advice in this thread. I completely forgot to check in at t-48, but remembered at t-25. The front cabin was full, but 6A was available on this A330 and was a very nice seat indeed. But I must say the TV was much smaller than what I'm used to these days on most other airlines in business class.
The A340 TV screens are worse... or are they the same? I thought the A330 ones were a little bigger.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Nick Art
The A340 TV screens are worse... or are they the same? I thought the A330 ones were a little bigger.
The A330 is terrible and the A340 is even more terrible. I don't use it for anything other than flight info now.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
Hello, LX Seat Experts.

Flying from BKK-ZRH (777) this coming week and am seated in 5D (the mini-cabin). I think there are 7 total passengers who've selected seats thus far. 5B, 5G, and 4D appear blocked "X" on Expertflyer. Is this a quirk on EF's part? I see that there's a Gold Star for 5G and 4D on the SWISS app, so it appears that only a higher status passenger will be able to select the latter 2 seats. No such designation for 5B.

My question is: should I remain in the mini J cabin? There are quite a few decent unoccupied throne seats in the larger business cabin, but I'm thinking the mini cabin lends a more intimate, perhaps quieter experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.