Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin temperature?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2023, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Cabin temperature?

I've read a few reviews of the A330 that the cabin temperature is often kept uncomfortably high. We're on an overnight from EWR-ZRH coming up, and (she doesn't read this, thankfully) will be traveling with a menopausal wife. We typically fly UA and it's perfectly fine, but if we get a hot cabin (in J, if that matters) she's going to be miserable. Actually to the point where she asked me to look for other options if it's going to be hot.

So my questions are.... Is it really that much different than USA carriers? If it is, do FA react and act on requests from passengers to lower the temp if asked? What is the actual temp if it is considered "warm"? I have a temp gauge on my watch, and am always curious on flights. Most of my overnight UA flights live anywhere between 68-71* F.

thx
Old Mar 4, 2023, 1:51 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by gold23
I've read a few reviews of the A330 that the cabin temperature is often kept uncomfortably high. We're on an overnight from EWR-ZRH coming up, and (she doesn't read this, thankfully) will be traveling with a menopausal wife. We typically fly UA and it's perfectly fine, but if we get a hot cabin (in J, if that matters) she's going to be miserable. Actually to the point where she asked me to look for other options if it's going to be hot.

So my questions are.... Is it really that much different than USA carriers? If it is, do FA react and act on requests from passengers to lower the temp if asked? What is the actual temp if it is considered "warm"? I have a temp gauge on my watch, and am always curious on flights. Most of my overnight UA flights live anywhere between 68-71* F.

thx
Talked to the purser on a recent flight and he said he always sets it to 20C (68F), which is the lowest the system allows him to do.

His theory about people complaining that it is too hot was that they eat a lot, drink (too) much wine and wear the wrong clothes. And he's probably at least partially right. I have now moved from wearing the long-sleeved PJs LX provides in F to just wearing the pants with a short-sleeved t-shirt, which helps. The duvet they provide in F is still too thick, but the one in J is much better in that sense. If you are prepared, you should be fine and do talk to the FAs when you are too hot, so that they can at least change the setting to 68.
chris63 and gold23 like this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by worldclubber
Talked to the purser on a recent flight and he said he always sets it to 20C (68F), which is the lowest the system allows him to do.

His theory about people complaining that it is too hot was that they eat a lot, drink (too) much wine and wear the wrong clothes. And he's probably at least partially right. I have now moved from wearing the long-sleeved PJs LX provides in F to just wearing the pants with a short-sleeved t-shirt, which helps. The duvet they provide in F is still too thick, but the one in J is much better in that sense. If you are prepared, you should be fine and do talk to the FAs when you are too hot, so that they can at least change the setting to 68.
It always seems warm to me, LX PJ’s are light but i sleep ontop of the duvet, way too hot under it.
worldclubber and gold23 like this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by chris63
It always seems warm to me, LX PJ’s are light but i sleep ontop of the duvet, way too hot under it.
Same here. Usually just over the middle part of the body with the duvet. The duvets they provided are supposed to feel luxurious, and I see the well-meant intentions, but are just too much for me.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Thx all. The timing of our flights is perfect, we get to transit through ZRH with bags as opposed to FRA, LHR, or AMS which were the other options, and we'd like at least a passably edible meal. So LX from that standpoint is an easy choice, but if it legitimately is hot I think my wife will be beyond miserable. Probably could handle a little warmer than typical, but if reports of people breaking into sweat are not exagerrated, I might look to switch.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 8:27 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
My experience, European carriers including LX usually have higher cabin temperature than US and Asian (except my recent experience on a short haul Baltic Air, it was so cold I had to wear my down jacket all the way - though i did not mind). Ask the FA to turn down the heat if it gets too warm. If LX first class, a few times FA made the effort and asked me if the cabin temp ok, and if not if any specific temperature I’d prefer.
athome likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by gold23
Thx all. The timing of our flights is perfect, we get to transit through ZRH with bags as opposed to FRA, LHR, or AMS which were the other options, and we'd like at least a passably edible meal. So LX from that standpoint is an easy choice, but if it legitimately is hot I think my wife will be beyond miserable. Probably could handle a little warmer than typical, but if reports of people breaking into sweat are not exagerrated, I might look to switch.
To be honest, I have been on about a dozen different airlines long-haul since fall (including LH, LX, UA, KL, SQ NZ, etc.) and LX is not better or worse with respect to cabin temperature than all of the others. If timing works for you, just take LX and don't dress in warm clothes.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 1:07 pm

Programs: LH SENATOR
Originally Posted by worldclubber
To be honest, I have been on about a dozen different airlines long-haul since fall (including LH, LX, UA, KL, SQ NZ, etc.) and LX is not better or worse with respect to cabin temperature than all of the others. If timing works for you, just take LX and don't dress in warm clothes.
From my experience LX does set the cabin temperature often higher, however since I started to ask to reduce the tempuerature they have always done it which made things much more comfortable.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by LXA350
From my experience LX does set the cabin temperature often higher, however since I started to ask to reduce the tempuerature they have always done it which made things much more comfortable.
One shouldn’t have to ask. But as long as they comply, no complaints.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver
This menopausal woman travels with a fan with a USB plug. Helps me tremendously when there is no individual air control.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 11:37 pm

This menopausal woman travels with a fan with a USB plug. Helps me tremendously when there is no individual air control.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by chris63
agreed. But cooler than LH IME.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clkc86
Ha! Suggestions on size or brand?
hugolover likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 6:44 pm

Here's the one I've used on several trips.
Amazon Amazon
hugolover and gold23 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On an A333 now, it’s a tiny bit on the warm side, not too bad, but I have a USB fan which helps immensely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.