FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   LX138 cancelled 24th January (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/2109279-lx138-cancelled-24th-january.html)

chris63 Jan 24, 2023 6:03 pm

LX138 cancelled 24th January

Flight had an aborted takeoff, a little bit scary…. front cargo door not locked, returned to D43 & mechanics worked on the issue, then there was a Medical emergency in Y & paramedics were needed, then one of the Co Pilots became ill, more paramedics, then the Police, subsequently the flight was cancelled & now rescheduled for 15.30 tomorrow….. so much drama, hope the infirm recover quickly.

Almost forgot to mention, overheated brakes from the aborted takeoff…..

MichielR Jan 24, 2023 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 34954587)
Flight had an aborted takeoff, a little bit scary…. front cargo door not locked, returned to D43 & mechanics worked on the issue, then there was a Medical emergency in Y & paramedics were needed, then one of the Co Pilots became ill, more paramedics, then the Police, subsequently the flight was cancelled & now rescheduled for 15.30 tomorrow….. so much drama, hope the infirm recover quickly.

Almost forgot to mention, overheated brakes from the aborted takeoff…..

Hope they also managed to get all pax in a hotel. Good luck tomorrow.

chris63 Jan 25, 2023 12:51 am

Originally Posted by MichielR (Post 34954935)
Hope they also managed to get all pax in a hotel. Good luck tomorrow.

Yes, the transfer desk was reopened, they brought back the immigration Police, because the airport had closed, i ended up back at the Radisson Blu @ 02.00

romans Jan 25, 2023 4:43 am

u were on this flight? wow

worldclubber Jan 25, 2023 6:00 am

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 34955288)
Yes, the transfer desk was reopened, they brought back the immigration Police, because the airport had closed, i ended up back at the Radisson Blu @ 02.00

Wishing you better luck today!

chris63 Jan 25, 2023 6:29 am

Originally Posted by romans (Post 34955541)
u were on this flight? wow

Yes and it was wow, never experienced a high speed abort before on something as big as an A343….

chris63 Jan 25, 2023 6:30 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber (Post 34955657)
Wishing you better luck today!

Thanks, i have been on my Prayer mat. :D

worldclubber Jan 25, 2023 8:01 am

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 34955723)
Thanks, i have been on my Prayer mat. :D

All should be fine then. :D

Carpacchio Jan 25, 2023 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 34955719)
Yes and it was wow, never experienced a high speed abort before on something as big as an A343….

I had it once with Air France, where an A340 aborted take off about half way through.
Went quite ok, just a heavy braking maneuver - and yes, the fire fighters came to make sure the brakes are ok.
We had to change planes and finally left CDG 8h later...

NewbieRunner Jan 25, 2023 1:28 pm

It appears the same aircraft is performing today’s flight.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4d658dfae.jpeg

chris63 Jan 25, 2023 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 34956934)
It appears the same aircraft is performing today’s flight.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4d658dfae.jpeg

Yes, one or two of us were not so thrilled to see the same Bird, HB JMA is getting long in the tooth :D

All ok, this time except they needed to restart the Wi Fi to get it going & then it was painfully slow….

chris63 Jan 25, 2023 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Carpacchio (Post 34956724)
I had it once with Air France, where an A340 aborted take off about half way through.
Went quite ok, just a heavy braking maneuver - and yes, the fire fighters came to make sure the brakes are ok.
We had to change planes and finally left CDG 8h later...

Not an experience i want to repeat, we were put back on the same aircraft & more than 16 hours later :rolleyes:

NewbieRunner Jan 26, 2023 3:18 am

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 34958030)
Yes, one or two of us were not so thrilled to see the same Bird, HB JMA is getting long in the tooth :D

Years ago I was flying from Bali to the island of Flores 400 miles away with Merpati Nusantara Airlines. There was only one flight a day but the aircraft developed some cabin pressure problem and had to circle over Lombok Strait for nearly two hours before retuning to Bali. The same thing happened the following day. There was not enough fuel to fly at a lower altitude to Flores and back and no mechanic on Flores to fix any potential problem. Two extra days on Bali might sound great but we had to spend most of the day at the airport and hotels where the airline and the tour company put us up weren’t where you’d want to stay in Bali. One was a Chinese-run hotel with a very noisy karaoke bar. The airport in Bali was like a bus station with flights departing to nearby islands every few minutes. After two days listening to constant announcements of flight numbers we could almost count in the local language!

On day three we were back at the airport and our tour leader came over whispering that our flight would be leaving soon. They didn’t dare announce our flight because there were too many passengers from two cancelled flights to be accommodated. We were going to refuse to board the same aircraft again and cheered as we were driven passed the stricken aircraft to another one which eventually took us to Flores. Merpati (Many Excuses Repeated Procrastination and Total Incompetence) suspended all services due to cashflow problems in February 2014.

chris63 Jan 26, 2023 5:29 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 34958521)
Years ago I was flying from Bali to the island of Flores 400 miles away with Merpati Nusantara Airlines. There was only one flight a day but the aircraft developed some cabin pressure problem and had to circle over Lombok Strait for nearly two hours before retuning to Bali. The same thing happened the following day. There was not enough fuel to fly at a lower altitude to Flores and back and no mechanic on Flores to fix any potential problem. Two extra days on Bali might sound great but we had to spend most of the day at the airport and hotels where the airline and the tour company put us up weren’t where you’d want to stay in Bali. One was a Chinese-run hotel with a very noisy karaoke bar. The airport in Bali was like a bus station with flights departing to nearby islands every few minutes. After two days listening to constant announcements of flight numbers we could almost count in the local language!

On day three we were back at the airport and our tour leader came over whispering that our flight would be leaving soon. They didn’t dare announce our flight because there were too many passengers from two cancelled flights to be accommodated. We were going to refuse to board the same aircraft again and cheered as we were driven passed the stricken aircraft to another one which eventually took us to Flores. Merpati (Many Excuses Repeated Procrastination and Total Incompetence) suspended all services due to cashflow problems in February 2014.

Thanks for sharing, i feel much better now, makes my experience a walk in the Park , with the odd FCL thrown in :D

worldclubber Jan 26, 2023 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 34958715)
Thanks for sharing, i feel much better now, makes my experience a walk in the Park , with the odd FCL thrown in :D

I could handle an extra day of FCLing ;)