Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Schengen to Schengen Zone Customs at ZRH

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2022, 6:19 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: House MD, How I Met Your Mother...
Non-Schengen to Schengen Zone Customs at ZRH

I'm flying YVR-ZRH-DRS later this week, and I was wondering what the situation with customs is in ZRH, how long the Non-Schengen to Schengen process takes, and whether there is a way to check the wait times before I deplane.

I have an hour to make the connection in ZRH, no checked baggage. Normally I wouldn't be concerned, but given the travel chaos that's been going on in other ariports in Europe, I thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 12:36 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by mistytalon
I'm flying YVR-ZRH-DRS later this week, and I was wondering what the situation with customs is in ZRH, how long the Non-Schengen to Schengen process takes, and whether there is a way to check the wait times before I deplane.

I have an hour to make the connection in ZRH, no checked baggage. Normally I wouldn't be concerned, but given the travel chaos that's been going on in other ariports in Europe, I thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance.
You will arrive at E, take the train to A/B, go through passport control after you exit the train and then make your way to the DRS gate. It's quicker, obviously, if you've got a seat in the front but doable if you're in the back. Passport queues are not predictable but ZRH is pretty good.

Customs, that is declaring if you have any goods or not that you are importing into Germany, will be done at DRS but normally people have nothing to declare and hardly notice passing through customs.
mistytalon and chris63 like this.

Last edited by MichielR; Jul 16, 2022 at 12:47 am
Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:52 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: House MD, How I Met Your Mother...
Originally Posted by MichielR
You will arrive at E, take the train to A/B, go through passport control after you exit the train and then make your way to the DRS gate. It's quicker, obviously, if you've got a seat in the front but doable if you're in the back. Passport queues are not predictable but ZRH is pretty good.

Customs, that is declaring if you have any goods or not that you are importing into Germany, will be done at DRS but normally people have nothing to declare and hardly notice passing through customs.
Thank you. Currently sitting on the ZRH-DRS leg, waiting for pushback. In hindsight I needn’t have worried, passport control took all of 3 minutes. North America has a lot to learn from this Swiss efficiency.
MichielR likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:14 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
Thank you. Currently sitting on the ZRH-DRS leg, waiting for pushback. In hindsight I needn’t have worried, passport control took all of 3 minutes. North America has a lot to learn from this Swiss efficiency.
Because here, we don‘t treat tourists as criminals and interrogate.

Plus you are probably luck, that there are no or very few flights arriving from countries where most people will need visa to get in - in those cases, it will take time to process and finger print. But still not as long as in US … probably like 15min rather than 3.
flospi, chris63 and zrh2yvr like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:04 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Hi from Zurich - hope you enjoyed that AC direct flight. I was thinking the same thing - Zurich has been really on track for the most part with only minimal impact. When you look at the baggage stacked in the arrivals area, this is actually fully sorted luggage on carts ready for the delivery to take place - - . It is not 100% foolproof but the airport does work extremely well.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:37 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
True … efficiency … this past Sunday morning, people lined up outside of terminal already very early morning before security opened, but all normalized by around 6:15am … So, even in Zurich you have scenes like that but they are quickly sorted.
chris63 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 10:47 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by LHSEN
True … efficiency … this past Sunday morning, people lined up outside of terminal already very early morning before security opened, but all normalized by around 6:15am … So, even in Zurich you have scenes like that but they are quickly sorted.
it's pretty stupid of the chiefs in charge to tell all passengers to be at the airport AT LEAST 3 HOURS before departure and then open check in just 2 hours before the flight and security just 1h 45 before the first flight...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.