Airlines and Mileage Programs

Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More

Swiss International Air Lines

Lost Luggage; 60-Minute ZRH Connection

Old Jul 8, 22, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Just a word of warning—On Thursday I flew Swiss XXX (Schengen)-ZRH-GVA. Scheduled connection was 60 minutes, reduced to 45 minutes because inbound flight was late. I made it, but checked bags didn’t.

Apple Air Tags confirm the bags are still sitting in ZRH 24 hours later, even though the Swiss lost baggage website says bags cannot be located.

The friendly and exasperated person at Swissport GVA tells me transfer baggage handling at ZRH is a mess at the moment. YMMV
Old Jul 8, 22, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
that's unfortunate. 45 mins is on the tight end, but they can usually make this.
Old Jul 10, 22, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Update

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
that's unfortunate. 45 mins is on the tight end, but they can usually make this.
The bags made it to GVA two days later. Two conclusions: 1) Air Tags were key—the Swissport website was not particularly helpful in figuring out where the bags were, when they had actually arrived etc. 2) Go to the airport rather than wait for onward delivery. Swissport told me the delay for delivery is lengthy.
Old Jul 10, 22, 9:36 am

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

Zurich airport totally messed up this week with luggage, it was not only your connection.

They had the good idea to store it in the sun (this photo was in the news).
Old Jul 12, 22, 8:35 am

Programs: LH HON, QR Gold, Sixt Diamond
Had a missed connection BER-ZRH-SIN in ZRH on 01 Jul 22. Was rerouted ZRH-CPH-SIN on 02 Jul 22 with LX and SQ. Bags did not make it and only arrived in SIN on 06 Jul 22. Bag Tag revealed that bag went on SQ345 ZRH-SIN, so never made it on the LX flight ZRH-CPH.

But 5 days was not bad, considering the chaos in ZRH…
Old Jul 13, 22, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by ToadHallRacing View Post
The bags made it to GVA two days later. Two conclusions: 1) Air Tags were key—the Swissport website was not particularly helpful in figuring out where the bags were, when they had actually arrived etc. 2) Go to the airport rather than wait for onward delivery. Swissport told me the delay for delivery is lengthy.
How did the airtags help you for the recovery? I always thought it would be more frustating to know were the bags are, but being tied with the official info from the lost bags IT systems and in the end still being useless to get the bags found.
Old Jul 13, 22, 1:32 am

Programs: UA, TK, AFKL, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton
They help if they give you the confidence to show up at your local airport and say "my bags are 50 meters behind you in your storage facility, give them to me now" while the Worldtracer has been saying "tracing continues" for 2 weeks...
lcheval likes this.
Old Jul 14, 22, 7:48 am

Programs: LXFF
Runs to buy more airtags...
airoli, mistytalon and jms_uk like this.
Old Jul 29, 22, 5:53 pm

Programs: Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Diamond
Couldn't find other recent topic on lost luggage.

I just had a bag delivered (at 11.30pm) at home in London that I've checked in (and last seen) at LHR T2 more than three months ago.

Itinerary was LHR-ZRH-BEG (with about 2-3 hours connection in ZRH), one bag came through fine, second was lost (until now).
Old Jul 29, 22, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jms_uk View Post
Couldn't find other recent topic on lost luggage.

I just had a bag delivered (at 11.30pm) at home in London that I've checked in (and last seen) at LHR T2 more than three months ago.

Itinerary was LHR-ZRH-BEG (with about 2-3 hours connection in ZRH), one bag came through fine, second was lost (until now).
Did Swiss pay for the lost bag? I hope they did.
Old Jul 30, 22, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
Did Swiss pay for the lost bag? I hope they did.
Sadly not, because I struggled to find receipts for the items that were inside.
Old Jul 30, 22, 10:34 am

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Sadly not, because I struggled to find receipts for the items that were inside.
If you got your bag back with all the contents it’s ok except for the delay ?

Your bag receipt has the weight included, so not fresh air & not worth nada, completely unreasonable for you to have to justify entirely by receipts
Old Jul 30, 22, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
If you got your bag back with all the contents it’s ok except for the delay ?
Yes, content is intact - but annoying thing is that about 95% of the items in that bag were meant to stay at the destination (presents) and I got them back at home in London.

Your bag receipt has the weight included, so not fresh air & not worth nada, completely unreasonable for you to have to justify entirely by receipts
Friend of mine suggested I should've told them that receipts were inside the suitcase

For the emergency supplies, LX has three tiers of compensation ($100 for Y, $200 for J and $300 for F), but it's only partial for the items of clothing - they will reimburse (also must provide receipts) 50% for the underwear, socks etc; although they will do 100% for the cosmetics (shower gel, deodorant, toothpaste etc).

Also, for that compensation they offered nearly double in LX voucher than they did in cash (Ł40 vs Ł22 in my case).
Old Jul 31, 22, 12:57 am

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Yes, content is intact - but annoying thing is that about 95% of the items in that bag were meant to stay at the destination (presents) and I got them back at home in London.

Friend of mine suggested I should've told them that receipts were inside the suitcase

For the emergency supplies, LX has three tiers of compensation ($100 for Y, $200 for J and $300 for F), but it's only partial for the items of clothing - they will reimburse (also must provide receipts) 50% for the underwear, socks etc; although they will do 100% for the cosmetics (shower gel, deodorant, toothpaste etc).

Also, for that compensation they offered nearly double in LX voucher than they did in cash (Ł40 vs Ł22 in my case).
I think your Friend had a point if they were being so difficult

It’s been a long time since LX lost a bag of mine but as HON in F they paid out what i claimed without question & it was quite a lot.

Also on LH they paid 100% for underwear, 50% for clothing or i had the option to return the clothing & then they would fully reimburse, i kept some & returned some
Old Jul 31, 22, 3:52 pm

It’s been a long time since LX lost a bag of mine but as HON in F they paid out what i claimed without question & it was quite a lot.
That was probably the key - mine was a lowly Euro-biz (in P), crediting to A3 (and no status in M&M at the moment).
chris63 likes this.

Search this Thread