Edelweiss Business Booking

Old Jun 22, 2022, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat
Edelweiss Business Booking

First trying Edelweiss because we waited so long to book our holidays that flying over Zurich and including Edelweiss was the best option. We booked 3 business class seats (we waited so long that economy was almost same price), and for one of the flights the website (book through Swiss) says that seat selection is not available. I have two questions:

1) I cannot find the booking if I go to the Edelweiss and use the booking number from Swiss. Do they use a different booking confirmation number? Where could I find it? I was hoping I could see the seats there.

2) Does anyone have experience with the "seat selection is not available" issue? again, these are business seats, and for one of the two flights with Edelweiss we can select seats (through Swiss) but the other one has that message. My guess is that they probably need to move the curtain in Business to make more space and currently they don't have spare seats to let us select our three, but there might be another reason (Tenerife-Zurich)

Thank you!
Old Jun 23, 2022, 4:50 am

Programs: M&M FTL (*Silver), KLM/AF blue
Edelweis works more like a charter airline and hence has their own logic - you need to book directly with them:

You can book seats here:
B2S (flyedelweiss.com)

You do NOT need a booking code. You need your exact flight dates and times, and after having booked your seat you need to put in your names that are IDENTICAL to the one in your booking with Swiss.
(Don't worry if the flight numbers are not identical If you have LX8XXX this will the same as WKXXX
You should be able to book business seats. Just go ahead and book your seats. Business will be for free, Eco will come at a charge.
(I have done so many times and works like charm....)

More info here
Seat reservation (flyedelweiss.com)

And yes I am always amazed that for seat reservations and also for checkin with Edelweiss you only need your name and nothing else....
(Altough if you had booked a Swiss Flight operated by Edelweiss you sometimes need to check in with Swiss and not Edelweiss directly, and then you need your Swiss Reservation number, this depends on the airport)

Happy travel on on Edelweiss
Deckter and AnaTFN like this.

Last edited by Key8; Jun 23, 2022 at 5:16 am Reason: Additional Info provided
Old Jun 23, 2022, 5:17 am

Programs: M&M FTL (*Silver), KLM/AF blue
And for those who are interested why this is the way it is

Edelweiss runs on its own IT platform which cannot handle standard IATA tickets
Travel agencies book bulk quotas on the flight and will only transfer the names of their clients a few days before the flight to Edelweiss.
At that time they match the names in the seat reservations with the passenger list.

If you need a connecting flight or a flight starting outside Switzerland you need to book it with Swiss, a IATA ticket will issued and handled by Swiss
(That's why you need checkin in with Swiss sometimes, depending on the airport).
I think the procdure Swiss applies it that again it only transfers the names of passengers to Edelweiss and they match that with the seat reservations a couple of days before the flight..

That is why
a) You cannot choose your seats on Swiss.com for a flight operated by Edelweis
b) You cannot use the Swiss Record locator (or ticket number) with Edelweiss - as they will have no record at that time you book
c) You do not have an Edelweiss reservations number (you will get one once you have actually have made a seat reservation because then you are in their system)

The only question I have for the real pros here: Eco seat reservations need to be paid - so I think no one would just make dummy bookings. I wonder however what happens if you just made a business seat booking without having a ticket - which is possible in first instance - the risk of fate booking is quite high... wonder how they keep this under controll

The different IT btw also explains that their call center is completely separate from the LH/Swiss universe. The agents sit in South Africa but there are only so few of it that I often end up on the same and start knowing them by name...
AnaTFN and Xandrios like this.

Last edited by Key8; Jun 23, 2022 at 5:22 am
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat
I've done it as you say Key8 and it worked... and it makes no sense that should work. Indeed it just "trusted" me with writing our names. I also wonder how they keep this under control.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 7:38 am

So just to add a data-point here, just booked LHR-ZRH-LPA, and back on Swiss.com. Was able to select seats for all four sectors directly on the Swiss website during the booking process.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 11:32 am

Now flown the flights, which were booked under the LX codes. They’ve posted to my M&M account as LX8200/8201 as full Swiss flights, with the associated HON / Status / Select miles as if it had been LX metal.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 11:28 pm

Another datapoint: on Swiss and Edelweiss website only two business seats were available (I need 3). Swiss hotline couldn't do anything, Edelweiss hotline was able to reserve three seats.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.