FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   I'm done complaining about Swiss - it is time to outright ridicule them ... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/2081720-im-done-complaining-about-swiss-time-outright-ridicule-them.html)

rford Jun 3, 2022 10:31 pm

I'm done complaining about Swiss - it is time to outright ridicule them ...

Business class round trip for two - total airfare $11k. FULL FARE - NON AWARD.

When we booked the tickets at swiss.com we were taken through a very clear user interface for choosing our specific seats on the outbound and return flights - confirmed seat choices, etc. - NO CONFUSION.

Now fast forward to t-minus one week to takeoff and those choices are all gone. They have no record of our seat choices.

Further, because our return flight is on a (swiss booked) United flight, nobody will let us choose a seat:

- Swiss says, call United - they assign your seats
- United says, we can't assign seats - this is a swiss booked flight

... but let's remember, we *ALREADY* chose seats for this flight, on that plane, operated by United, clearly chosen and NO CONFUSION.

Unbelievable.

random.parts Jun 3, 2022 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by rford (Post 34305707)

... but let's remember, we *ALREADY* chose seats for this flight, on that plane, operated by United, clearly chosen and NO CONFUSION.

Unbelievable.

If the flight is on United metal, you should be able to download the United app, add the trip (my united > trips > find my trip) and select your seats *again, but for real this time*.

United’s app is uniquely excellent for self-managing flights/travel on their planes.

chris63 Jun 4, 2022 1:12 am

Booking codeshare flights is often fraught with issues such as this add to that LH groups lamentable IT

SuperFlyBoy Jun 4, 2022 4:28 am

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 34305880)
Booking codeshare flights is often fraught with issues such as this add to that LH groups lamentable IT

United is not that great either - but their app is actually the best airline one around - and they keep improving it...

United with LH codeshares can be very very difficult - I can attest to this!

59Impala Jun 4, 2022 7:59 am

Nothing to do with „Swiss“ or „bad experience“, you should ALWAYS book seats with the operating carrier to have stuff under control.

hotturnip Jun 4, 2022 9:48 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala (Post 34306389)
Nothing to do with „Swiss“ or „bad experience“, you should ALWAYS book seats with the operating carrier to have stuff under control.

The OP did that. Only the return flight is on UA, as I read the description.

I will say that my personal (limited) experience with UA is that they feel seat assignments are just a suggestion. I've had seats changed and dropped with them at a far higher rate than any other airline. YMMV.

59Impala Jun 4, 2022 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by hotturnip (Post 34306622)
The OP did that. Only the return flight is on UA, as I read the description.

I will say that my personal (limited) experience with UA is that they feel seat assignments are just a suggestion. I've had seats changed and dropped with them at a far higher rate than any other airline. YMMV.

Even more… the title is completely wrong. OP should not „outright ridicule Swiss“, OP should blame UA not LX

SteveinA2 Jun 4, 2022 3:40 pm

WOW - I'll have to try Swiss. If Full Fare Business is only $5,500 round trip that's an amazing price

weero Jun 4, 2022 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy (Post 34306092)
United is not that great either - but their app is actually the best airline one around - and they keep improving it...

They improve it for their own penny-pinching operations, so they can charge your for ever more ridiculous things.

The last year, the UA app got so much worse for the customers who use it and cross-functionality to the LX and LH platforms suffered a lot.

I booked two UA TATLs this year which used LH and LX feeders and it was a condensed nightmare.

Originally Posted by rford (Post 34305707)
..- Swiss says, call United - they assign your seats
- United says, we can't assign seats - this is a swiss booked flight..

Thanks to UA's continuous upgrades (known as enhancements to LH/LX folks), their systems are now completely incompatible.

You should be able to tell who is at fault - was it booked as an LX or a UA flight number (i.e. as a codeshare)? I'd almost bet that this was UA's fault.

cfischer Jun 4, 2022 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by weero (Post 34307470)

Thanks to UA's continuous upgrades (known as enhancements to LH/LX folks), their systems are now completely incompatible.

You should be able to tell who is at fault - was it booked as an LX or a UA flight number (i.e. as a codeshare)? I'd almost bet that this was UA's fault.

I have a 220 LH ticket with BOS-LHR as an LH flight number. Absolutely zero issues assigning seats on united.com

weero Jun 4, 2022 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 34307536)
I have a 220 LH ticket with BOS-LHR as an LH flight number. Absolutely zero issues assigning seats on united.com

Upon booking or in the app?

cfischer Jun 5, 2022 8:02 am

Originally Posted by weero (Post 34307546)
Upon booking or in the app?

all of the above. Was able to select upon booking, was able to change on the web and the app. No issue whatsoever.

behuman Jun 5, 2022 9:19 am

cheap

Originally Posted by SteveinA2 (Post 34307442)
WOW - I'll have to try Swiss. If Full Fare Business is only $5,500 round trip that's an amazing price

This is outrageously expensive for ONE passenger even the US being a captive market of high spenders. As a comparison I bought recently a partner special for TWO people in booking class A (first) from Italy to South America and back for the same amount (in EUR tough).

This said, all these people moaning and complaining about LH group airlines, just try competitors, perhaps a nice US legacy carrier or a ME airline where work conditions and human/women/gay/other minority rights are what we know.

A good idea would also be to buy tickets on 724 or 220 ticket stock, never had a problem.

ced_lx Jun 5, 2022 11:21 am

Had a similar situation with a YUL-VIE paid Pair of C tickets. There was a slight schedule change by a few minutes and the seat assignments had to be redone. No warning of this, just happen to check it out my self. Booked though AC for the OS flight. Only reason I booked through AC is that I also have another pair of aéroplan award tickets for the same flight.

weero Jun 5, 2022 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 34308832)
all of the above. Was able to select upon booking, was able to change on the web and the app. No issue whatsoever.

Lovely.

From my this year experience since January:

UA app "offering" the check in of an LX flight booked through the UA app:
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...eff442c7b7.jpg

The same flight on SWISS.com ::

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0078663837.jpg

an earlier segment on LX (booed via united.com) upon airport check -in with UA:
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...543261c2b1.jpg

Smooth and brilliant IT integration :tu: .