Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advance seat assignment on UA-marketed but LX-operated flight

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2022, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Advance seat assignment on UA-marketed but LX-operated flight

I am looking to book a Premium Economy seat on a United Airlines marketed, but Swiss operated codeshare flight. I've searched on this forum and elsewhere and it seems like economy fares usually can't assign seats in advance (even if they pay), while business class fares can. However, I can't find anything on the new Premium Economy product. Is it possible to choose a seat in advance for this flight, either for free or with a fee?
Old May 28, 2022, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
https://www.swiss.com/be/en/book-and...at-reservation
Old Jun 4, 2022, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Cowtikk
.. Is it possible to choose a seat in advance for this flight, either for free or with a fee?
On a UA booked ticket, my last 8+ months experience is a bold no. Irrespective of class of service and cost, neither airline can assign you any real seasts and in the rare cases it might work (Biz cabin e.g.), it won't stick.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weero
On a UA booked ticket, my last 8+ months experience is a bold no. Irrespective of class of service and cost, neither airline can assign you any real seasts and in the rare cases it might work (Biz cabin e.g.), it won't stick.
Quite in contrast to my experience where LX can assign seats in their metal and UA codeshare flight # just fine and they stick. Not sure why your experience varies from mine
Old Jun 5, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by cfischer
Quite in contrast to my experience where LX can assign seats in their metal and UA codeshare flight # just fine and they stick. Not sure why your experience varies from mine
I illustrated it here.

One possibility is that you tix might be LX stock and mine is UA.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weero
I illustrated it here.

One possibility is that you tix might be LX stock and mine is UA.
all my tickets are 016 ticket stock ... o.k. 99% of them are
Old Jun 6, 2022, 11:08 pm

I second cfischer’s experience, and mine was a UA business mileage saver award ticket. Just call UA and get your LX PNR, then call LX for seat assignments.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phllax
I second cfischer’s experience, and mine was a UA business mileage saver award ticket. Just call UA and get your LX PNR, then call LX for seat assignments.
that is different though. Award tickets never have codeshare flight numbers. Getting seats on LX flights with LX flight numbers is easy ... can be done on swiss.com incl. for UA tickets. It is the codeshares that you can't do online.
airoli likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I retrieve my PNR at LX/OS/LH websites, the UA-originated award reservation PNR does not show my MileagePlus number and I can't enter it. Is it there and they are just not displaying it? Thanks.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
When I retrieve my PNR at LX/OS/LH websites, the UA-originated award reservation PNR does not show my MileagePlus number and I can't enter it. Is it there and they are just not displaying it? Thanks.
that is unusual. You can enter it during OLCI - I assume you want it in for SAG benefits?
Old Jun 20, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey; Hyatt Globalist
Booked DFW-ORD-ZUR-DXB as a United codeshare for the last leg. I was finally able to get my LX booking confirmation number (it wasn't easy) and called LX to choose my seats. LX told me that the LX portion of the flight has not been ticketed yet. It's been three days since I booked - any idea how long it normally takes for a code share flight to be ticketed by LX? Thank you.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davecraze
Booked DFW-ORD-ZUR-DXB as a United codeshare for the last leg. I was finally able to get my LX booking confirmation number (it wasn't easy) and called LX to choose my seats. LX told me that the LX portion of the flight has not been ticketed yet. It's been three days since I booked - any idea how long it normally takes for a code share flight to be ticketed by LX? Thank you.
do you have a 016 United ticket #? There is also no such concept as 'LX portion' not ticketed. It is either ticketed or it is not. Sounds like you got a MOLA. Call again if you have a 016 ticket # ... they should be able to assign you a seat.
If it is indeed not ticketed ... call UA asap and get that fixed.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:57 pm

So Swiss had no record of the zur - Dxb leg being reserved or even ticketed even though it was on my United booking confirmation. Swiss had no Swiss metal leg on my reservation at all - which is odd because why would I have a Swiss booking code if there was no Swiss metal leg.l? Swiss said cannot help me.

I spent an hour on with United and they said that Swiss was not confirming any premium cabins on my codeshare flight but they cannot see why.

she went on hold for 15 minutes and somehow forced it through and manually adjusted the ticket price to what I originally paid.

i suspect something going on with Swiss not wanting to honor the fare originally because just the zur to Dxb leg on Swiss alone was the same price as my entire dfw-ord-zur-Dxb trip in biz
Old Jun 25, 2022, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davecraze
So Swiss had no record of the zur - Dxb leg being reserved or even ticketed even though it was on my United booking confirmation. Swiss had no Swiss metal leg on my reservation at all - which is odd because why would I have a Swiss booking code if there was no Swiss metal leg.l? Swiss said cannot help me.

I spent an hour on with United and they said that Swiss was not confirming any premium cabins on my codeshare flight but they cannot see why.

she went on hold for 15 minutes and somehow forced it through and manually adjusted the ticket price to what I originally paid.

i suspect something going on with Swiss not wanting to honor the fare originally because just the zur to Dxb leg on Swiss alone was the same price as my entire dfw-ord-zur-Dxb trip in biz
I am sorry, but this is nonsense. It appears your ticket never got issued, that is a UA problem and has nothing to do with the fare paid or anything like that. It did not come back as confirmed and you were lucky that UA was able to push it through manually; there is also no such thing as manually adjusting the price. You have a record locator for LX and UA which absolutely does not indicate you have a valid ticket.

Once the ticket was actually issued I am certain LX was able to assign you seats.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 11:44 pm

I am still not exactly sure what happened - maybe UA screwed that up. I had a 016 ticket the entire time for each passenger and the United side (log in to United site with United booking code) showed the tickets and all the flights including the Swiss flight. But when I logged into the swiss site with the swiss booking code, it only showed the United legs on the ticket.

if I would have never logged into the swiss site because I wanted to choose seats I would have never known there was a problem.

only after United did whatever the heck they did, the Swiss leg showed up as ticketed on the Swiss site and I was able to choose seats online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.