ZRH: LX to train

Old Feb 16, 2022, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
ZRH: LX to train

With checked baggage (including skis), arriving from BER midday on a Monday, what do you think is the amount of time I should budget for connecting from my arriving LX flight to getting a train. Considering buying a non changeable Saver train ticket. Flight ETA is 1620 and train departs 1718. That’s a safe bet, yes? Or would you book the 1748?
Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:43 pm

Programs: LH HON
I would book a flexible train ticket…
DUSMUCZRH and Kacee like this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 12:10 am

Programs: LH Senator*, IHG Diamond Elite, Accor ALL Diamond
Just take into account that with Skis and Luggage you are not walking particularly fast. I would not take the stress and book, as suggested by daumueller the Flex Ticket.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Flexible ticket in F is twice the price.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 12:42 am

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
Originally Posted by daumueller
I would book a flexible train ticket…
Same as you, and then the saver on the way back.

Or maybe if the ski slopes are quite a distance from ZRH, the discounted day ticket could also be an option.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 2:29 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
1h is a bit tight.... if your flight is just a bit delayed and then your luggage take a bit of time and your ticket is wasted.

Did you check if there was maybe any saver day pass?

When are you traveling? Coop and Interdiscount (both have outlets at the airport) are selling special day cards for only CHF 49.
https://www.coop.ch/en/promotion/spe...ravelpass.html

Only on sale until Feb 20th but you can use them up to March 20th.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 2:51 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by enelym1978
When are you traveling? Coop and Interdiscount (both have outlets at the airport) are selling special day cards for only CHF 49.
https://www.coop.ch/en/promotion/spe...ravelpass.html

Only on sale until Feb 20th but you can use them up to March 20th.
I'm arriving on the 20th and wish I knew about these day cards before buying my ticket. The website is blocked in Sweden for some reason.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 7:49 am

Coop (and Interdiscount - same company) regularly sell out of the day tickets before the deadline, so don't count on picking one up at the airport.

When I take the train *to* ZRH I'll buy a supersaver ticket. When I take a train *from* ZRH then I just pay the full price. (Well, 1/2 price as I have a 1/2 price annual card.)

I wouldn't want to either (a) miss the train and lose the ticket or (b) be early and have to watch other trains go while waiting for my fixed supersaver one. There is a procedure for getting the supersaver ticket refunded if you can prove you paid full price for a later train, but the hassle and Fr.10 cost of doing this means I never bother.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 12:14 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Flexible ticket in F is twice the price.
And if your flight is delayed or the baggage reclaim is held up for some reason, you will pay 3x the price.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
And if your flight is delayed or the baggage reclaim is held up for some reason, you will pay 3x the price.
Saver F is CHF 50 and flexible F is 100. Saver Y is 40 and flexible is 50. So, my thinking is that I purchase the saver F at 50, but if I miss the train, then I purchase flexible Y at 50. If my odds of missing the fixed train are 20%, then I am OK with the 20% odds of sitting in Y.

Thanks for the suggestion on COOP tickets! These tickets can be used in F for only +20? However, I believe the tickets must be purchased in person at COOP and cannot be purchased for e delivery?

Last edited by SFO_FT; Feb 17, 2022 at 12:37 pm
Old Feb 17, 2022, 2:03 pm

Programs: LXFF
I book in advance when I can and get the saver day passes. Being locked into a specific time is too risky.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Actually, I sometimes take the saver tickets when arriving after a flight (and I don't have a GA) but I leave a lot of time between flight arrival and train departure. If everything is on time, I just go and have a drink somewhere. Or do some shopping if I'm heading home.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 2:31 pm
eag

ZRH is quite efficient. I think probably you'll be able to catch the train easily if you have 58 minutes. I'd go for the supersaver ticket if you don't mind having to buy another ticket if things go wrong. I think overall this strategy provides the best expected value.

Last edited by eag; Feb 17, 2022 at 2:49 pm
Old Feb 18, 2022, 8:45 am

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
However, I believe the tickets must be purchased in person at COOP and cannot be purchased for e delivery?
It looks like they'll be shipped, but not internationally I guess.
Never tried it, but I can imagine you could send it for a hold ("en poste restante" in french) to the postal office at the airport and then pick it up for free there after landing.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Artemio
It looks like they'll be shipped, but not internationally I guess.
Never tried it, but I can imagine you could send it for a hold ("en poste restante" in french) to the postal office at the airport and then pick it up for free there after landing.
Excellent idea! Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.