Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Roll out of Premium Economy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Hands down the worst Prem Econ product out there... even OS can bother to put hard bulkheads between Y+ and regular Y
Old Apr 20, 2022, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by downinit
So PE has been in operation for 6 weeks now, yet only UA and LH-group have actually updated their earning chart to include it. This makes flying N as worthless as LH P for partner earning. G and E may earn something, but it is still less than it should be as they are still classified as economy fare codes. Any guess when/if other *A airlines will actually acknowledge the existence of LX PE?
Miles & Bonus from Aegean has 100% earning for N and 150% for G and E since 27/03/2022
Old Apr 21, 2022, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by aflo
Miles & Bonus from Aegean has 100% earning for N and 150% for G and E since 27/03/2022
also UA is good with updating their earning charts
Old Apr 21, 2022, 3:05 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by Brandinho1
No dedicated Premium Y bathroom. You will share it with Economy.
https://youtu.be/EZ0zeV1nA1M
Hilarious video with the Swiss national anthem playing in the background and the broad US accent of the speaker . Thank you for having made me laugh.

Three bathrooms for the huge C cabin are barely enough already. And Y+ guests would have to walk through the whole C cabin.
florens and Brandinho1 like this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 5:12 pm

Programs: LX SEN
Sharing my first experience on the new PE on ZRH-GRU:
  • Seat - the good: I found it comfortable enough. Width and space for legs is pretty good. The fact that the seat in front doesn't recline a a big positive for me. Can eat/work/watch a movie without worrying about the the seat in front suddenly reclining
  • Seat - the bad: The recline mechanism is....interesting. If one pulls in the right place it is super easy to recline, but finding the right place to pull forward is a challenge. The nice flight attendants even did live demos on some of the passengers seats to explain them how to recline! Seemed half the passengers couldn't figure out how to recline.
  • Catering: Big step up vs. Y. For night flights, where even C meals are also served fully on one tray but for the desert, the PE meal is actually quite comparable to the C meal. Breakfast was also better (more food) than the Y breakfast and served on a tray rather than in a box
  • Verdict: I would definitely book it again, especially on day flights, but it all depends on the price differential vs. Y and C.
cesco.g, entrada, grischtu and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 9:27 am

Programs: M&M Freq, BA, Emirates, KLM, CSA
Fixed shell seat a disaster. Ok to sit upright, but impossible to comfortably sleep,.I sat in one on Cathay from DXB to HK and had to get physio for a couple of weeks to treat my lower back. There were so many complaints in the end Cathay took the seats out across the entire long haul fleet and put back traditional.

https://www.scmp.com/article/987673/...ts-shell-seats

Has anyone tried to sleep in the Swiss prem economy seat and can advise, as I am booked for Zurich to Singapore in August but am thinking to change.
hessbo likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:42 am

I actually had to get acupuncture for the very first time after flying CX (HKG-LAX) in those old slider seats many years back. The slider concept is actually perfect for medium-length flights (2-7 hours), but definitely not great for sleeping on long-haul flights. That said, I just flew VIE-LAX in the new PE product and found it to be less uncomfortable than CX (no back pain at all, despite the fact that I forgot to stretch beforehand). I even managed to fall asleep on two separate occasions, which is very rare for me when sitting upright in any seat. If you do end up flying on them, I would highly recommend bringing a second pillow or some kind of fluffy outerwear for lumbar support, as the backrest angle when reclined is not great. I have flown with another airline more recently than CX that also used the sliders, and I found them to also be an improvement over the ill-fated CX seats.

My biggest complaint (aside from sharing restrooms with Y) would be rows 21 & 22 are very cramped together, while there is a ridiculously large bulkhead space (minus any kind of actual bulkhead or divider) between the last row of PE and first row of Y on the 777-300. They could have easily slid rows 21 & 22 back several cm, added at least some kind of curtain behind 22, and the legroom in row 23 (Y) would still be outstanding. Row 20 was an exit row, so it is definitely the best option for this plane. All told, I would definitely not go out of my way to fly PE on LX again anytime soon. The worst part was passing through the half-empty Y cabin on the way to the restroom, realizing that I could have had 3 seats to myself and actually earned at least some miles for this 6k mile flight if had I just booked in Y.

Last edited by downinit; Jun 9, 2022 at 11:08 am
Old Jun 9, 2022, 4:05 pm

LAX-ZRH menu

ZRH-LAX menu

Lucerne-style beef rissoles

Roasted chicken breast

Breakfast/dinner (2nd meal)
enelym1978 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 3:49 am

IMy biggest complaint (aside from sharing restrooms with Y) would be rows 21 & 22 are very cramped together, while there is a ridiculously large bulkhead space (minus any kind of actual bulkhead or divider) between the last row of PE and first row of Y on the 777-300. They could have easily slid rows 21 & 22 back several cm, added at least some kind of curtain behind 22, and the legroom in row 23 (Y) would still be outstanding. Row 20 was an exit row, so it is definitely the best option for this plane. All told, I would definitely not go out of my way to fly PE on LX again anytime soon. The worst part was passing through the half-empty Y cabin on the way to the restroom, realizing that I could have had 3 seats to myself and actually earned at least some miles for this 6k mile flight if had I just booked in Y.
We're flying MIA-ZRH in the fall and booked PE row 21 on our way there, but had to book row 22 on our way back because 1 seat was booked on 21 and 1 seat was booked on 22 on the one side that had seats available. After reading this, makes us want to change to row 21 for the return. IF this changes as the trip gets closer, are we able to change seats without an additional charge?
Old Jun 17, 2022, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by travellovers2
We're flying MIA-ZRH in the fall and booked PE row 21 on our way there, but had to book row 22 on our way back because 1 seat was booked on 21 and 1 seat was booked on 22 on the one side that had seats available. After reading this, makes us want to change to row 21 for the return. IF this changes as the trip gets closer, are we able to change seats without an additional charge?
Honestly, 21 & 22 are practically identical. The lack of a divider behind 22 is annoying as it cheapens the divide between PE and Y, but the design of the seats still provides a bit of a barricade/wall between you and row 23, along with the large air gap. In fact, the person in the row behind you will be much closer to you in row 21 than in 22. While 20 is clearly the best, I would probably pick 22 over 21.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 3:30 am

Honestly, 21 & 22 are practically identical. The lack of a divider behind 22 is annoying as it cheapens the divide between PE and Y, but the design of the seats still provides a bit of a barricade/wall between you and row 23, along with the large air gap. In fact, the person in the row behind you will be much closer to you in row 21 than in 22. While 20 is clearly the best, I would probably pick 22 over 21.
Thank you. That's good to know. I don't understand why they did not create a divide, as least a curtain. The point is to give each cabin some privacy.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:38 am

FYI, I was able to get my PE segment to credit at 100% to OZ, despite the earning chart on their website not being updated to include the PE fares (N). I initially credited my flight to TK and earned nothing (as expected), but my husband's miles posted to the OZ account on his boarding pass. I was subsequently able to get OZ miles for my flight, as well.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:32 pm

I've noticed that with these seats there doesn't seem to be a dedicated footrest in contrast to a lot of other PE products. How did anyone who has flown the product find the level of support/comfort for your legs and did you find any need to rest your feet on something? This seems generally doable apart from the exit seats in 20.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by LAXSFO
I've noticed that with these seats there doesn't seem to be a dedicated footrest in contrast to a lot of other PE products. How did anyone who has flown the product find the level of support/comfort for your legs and did you find any need to rest your feet on something? This seems generally doable apart from the exit seats in 20.
There is a marginally useful leg-rest that folds out from the seat, but no footrest. I cannot ever recall a footrest in PE or Y that was very useful to me, as they all seem to be designed for shorter people. I remember being annoyed that the legrest does not have an extension when I was first pulling it out, but I never gave it a second thought after that.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 3:00 am

We found a good layout of the 777 on www.aerolopa.com. The last row of PE is not aligned with the middle row. How far back does it go?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.