Airtrain to Zurich

Old Feb 25, 2009, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Compulsory Airtrain Basel - ZRH?

Hi all,
I have a booking for a return flight to BSL (from MAN), with an airtrain connection between Basel and Zurich Airport. Following a change in the schedule of my meetings in Switzerland, I might now actually end up in Zurich on the evening before the return flight. I have been trying to determine whether I am actually forced to take the train from Basel to Zurich, or whether I can get away with simply boarding the plane in ZRH.
According to the Swiss helpline, I absolutely *must* take the train - otherwise my flight would be cancelled. I have seen reports of people here on the forum who seem not to have taken the train (and still have collected miles) and got away with it. Now, I don't collect miles - so this is not the issue. But I am obviously concerned about Swiss cancelling my flight to MAN. Can anyone give me some input on this? If I have to, I will of course travel to Basel just to take the next train back - but it seems a bit silly to do this.
Thanks!
sebhoff
Old Feb 25, 2009, 1:35 pm

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
Hello,

you don't need to take the train - you just have to make sure that the flight number isn't LX2990 or LX2991 - these aren't trains...

The answer you got from the Swiss helpline is pure BS (were you connected with Cape Town or Bombay?).
Who should check your presence on the train, and how should this be done?
As you can take every train the day the ticket is issued for, and board and deboard everywhere between Zurich Airport and Basle, there is a big chance anyway that no ticket controller sees your ticket.

BTW: Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Feb 25, 2009, 5:12 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie
no reason to take the train, there is no way for them to check whether you were on it or not. I have never checked in at the Basel train station, always do that at ZRH. no need to worrry about it.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 7:10 pm

You don't need to take the train, but it's better for you to check-in on-line to validate your BSL-ZRH.
Swiss helpline agents (in Switzerland or through Mindpearl) are not allowed to tell you that you don’t need to use your train connection.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 9:07 pm

Programs: LH
Welcome to FT, sebhoff.

as long as you checked in for the airtrain, and as long as it is not the actual flight LX2990 or LX2991, you will not face any problem.

As yamatthey stated, do online checkin before. Then you will get the paper ticket for the train. If you do not issue the paper ticket (somehow check in), SWISS will cancel your other flights.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 1:55 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
I can confirm what previous posters have said. No need to worry about your flight being cancelled as long as you check in online for BSL-ZRH(-MAN) (actually it will be ZDH-ZRH on a LX 74xx flight no.).

I have done it before for the purpose of getting additional miles - and sometimes you even get cheaper prices booking ZDH-ZRH-XXX instead of ZRH-XXX.

More information regarding the Airtrain can be found here: Link
Old Feb 26, 2009, 2:56 am

LX does not enforce you to have access to a computer with a printer everywhere you are. SWISS is not Ryanair...

Airtrain travel without prior check-in
If it is not possible to check-in prior to the Airtrain departure, as an exception, the SBB conductor will accept confirmation of your flight booking. Your ticket number must be visible on your travel documentation.

Of course, if you can check in online, you better do it.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 3:07 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rorschi
Airtrain travel without prior check-in
If it is not possible to check-in prior to the Airtrain departure, as an exception, the SBB conductor will accept confirmation of your flight booking. Your ticket number must be visible on your travel documentation.
That is correct, of course. But that doesn't help if you don't take the train. That only covers the problem of actually taking the train without prior check in.

To prevent any problem, I would still recommend to check in online. If your computer doesn't have a printer, you can still have the BP reprinted at the ZRH check in counter.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks!

Thanks for all your responses (and welcome messages)! I'll definitely check in online then! One thing I was getting worried about was that someone in ZRH would want to see that the ticket was checked by the conductor on the train - but that doesn't seem to be the case. Good.
Thanks again!
sebhoff
Old Feb 26, 2009, 6:05 am

Programs: LH Senator, BA Gold, AF Platinum, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by sebhoff
Thanks for all your responses (and welcome messages)! I'll definitely check in online then! One thing I was getting worried about was that someone in ZRH would want to see that the ticket was checked by the conductor on the train - but that doesn't seem to be the case. Good.
I skipped one flight sector and I was still able to fly.
It was a STR-ZRH and I tried to check in online with no success (I hate LH site for web C-in) and then I headed for ZRH with the check-in only for the second flight.
I was able to fly but now my eticket shows that the coupon for that sector is "Cancelled" and when I claimed miles the answer was "Not on passenger list" - curious for a flight that I actually boarded.

So my conclusion is that you'll be able to fly but you might experience some problems later with miles or other.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

It worked

OK - just got back. It worked.
Thanks again for your help!
sebhoff
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:39 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Nobody has commented on this?
Originally Posted by sebhoff
I don't collect miles
Old Mar 15, 2009, 3:45 pm

Just one word of caution: You will likely not get away with regularly booking the airtrain without using it just to collect extra miles or save money. SBB does in fact submit the data of train passangers to Swiss, just not on an immediate basis. I assume this is done once a month.

You will not have a problem doing this, once or twice. But on if you do this 20 or 30 times, or more, you likely will get a call from Swiss once they notice that you booked 30 train segments and haven't used them. I know this as a fact.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
Nobody has commented on this?
Motion to immediately suspend Sebhoff for not collecting miles!
Old Mar 16, 2009, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by f4free
You will not have a problem doing this, once or twice. But on if you do this 20 or 30 times, or more, you likely will get a call from Swiss once they notice that you booked 30 train segments and haven't used them. I know this as a fact.
Yes, but this was from the time when you had to be on the train you have booked (before 2006).

As you can use any train nowadays between ZRH and BSL, and not all trains in Switzerland have controllors (e.g. the regional trains Frick-Basle), it's virtually impossible to report anything. The train controllors just check if your ticket is valid, but do no longer retain or submit any data.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.