New BoB meal concept in Swiss regional economy starting March 2021

Old Nov 17, 20, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G, LX *S, AF *S
New BoB meal concept in Swiss regional economy starting March 2021

Resurrecting an old(er) thread, as Swiss seems to expand their meal concept of the Geneva flights to Zurich flights:

https://www.blick.ch/wirtschaft/nur-...d16199221.html

Since article is in German, here is the translation of the key facts: as of spring 2021, there will be a new meal concept for short- and medium haul flights from Zurich - only water and chocolate. Beer, Wine, Coke will cost extra. "Swiss Saveurs" concept as on GVA flights.

And here is the official news release: https://swiss.newsmarket.com/english...c-ed6c96bd1755

Last edited by Carpacchio; Nov 17, 20 at 3:34 am
Old Nov 17, 20, 4:03 am

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
This was always inevitable, and with commercial aviation in its most existential crisis to date, it was also becoming urgent.
I had expected it in ZRH earlier - guess we got 2019 and the rump of 2020 as a bonus.
Old Nov 17, 20, 4:45 am

Programs: LH SEN
Farewell to the cheese sandwich then.

Actually given Covid, they are unlikey to reintroduce before Spring 2021 anyway, so my last cheese sandwich was March this year
Old Nov 17, 20, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by bobhope2 View Post
...so my last cheese sandwich was March this year
I have heard rumors that cheese sandwiches can still sporadically be found outside of aircraft cabins....
Old Nov 17, 20, 5:27 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by airoli View Post
This was always inevitable, and with commercial aviation in its most existential crisis to date, it was also becoming urgent.
I had expected it in ZRH earlier - guess we got 2019 and the rump of 2020 as a bonus.
The current catering really costs them so much? I can't believe that. Couple of Euros maybe.
Old Nov 17, 20, 5:40 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Anyone else received an invitation for a chat with management (online)? I presume that’s where they’ll tell us this and other news.
Old Nov 17, 20, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
Couple of Euros maybe.
That pretty much represents the typical margin on an Economy short-haul flight in Europe. And that was with economies of scale before Covid.
Old Nov 17, 20, 9:10 am

It's a very low margin. And it is a fact that many tickets cost less than they ever (I mean up to Covid, because I haven't flown with LH Group since Covid). I remember Geneva to Frankfurt in the 1990s cost about CHF399 for the best special offer and you didn't get much catering even then. A typical Saturday night stay ticket would cost from CHF499-599 for other German cities, and CHF699 for Copenhagen and Stockholm.
Old Nov 17, 20, 11:19 am

It looks a bit like LOT then? If airlines want to do BOB, I'd say she has the best model to follow. Water, coffee & tea and a wafer bar at the very least. Drinks, sandwiches, salads sold for extra, often at below airport cost.

From the post on the main forum it makes it sound like it's like BA but its not. There will be water and chocolate only on LX?
Old Nov 17, 20, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
It looks a bit like LOT then? If airlines want to do BOB, I'd say she has the best model to follow. Water, coffee & tea and a wafer bar at the very least. Drinks, sandwiches, salads sold for extra, often at below airport cost.

From the post on the main forum it makes it sound like it's like BA but its not. There will be water and chocolate only on LX?
I'm not all against BOB, and as others already wrote, costs for flights went down so massively in the last 20 years that buying a sandwich or a drink won't kill your budget. Just 10 years ago, a 199 CHF RT to a European city was considered to be a great deal. Before COVID-19, you could often have it for 99 CHF. Sure, if you actually need luggage, and want some other services that were included beforehand, it will be about the same costs, but - in true LCC style - if a random middle seat is all you want, your travel costs did went down rather heavily.

The problem with BOB is that LX thinks it's fine to charge Swiss prices (high) and then add some more..

https://issuu.com/swiss5/docs/swiss_...99918/63011350

Sandwich? That'll be 10.50 CHF (close to 10€)

90g of meat? Just hand over 15 CHF (14€)

250ml of Tomato juice? Just 5 CHF

Fancy a glas of white wine? Perfect, 11 CHF per 2dl.

Just compared their prices with Easyjet "Bistro". While they also rip you off if you pay in CHF, you're free to pay in € or - for the best rate in Pound - there and get much better deals.

Now yes, the Swiss market is more expensive, but they're flying both ways, and charging 50-100% more than any competitor does won't work well. It didn't worked for LX 1.0. Sure, flying now costs 1/3rd to 1/2 of what it was some 15-20 years ago, but I'm not entirely sure that people will enjoy grossly overpriced BOB food, even if their quality will be alright/good.

I've flown a lot with Air Asia in the past, and they wouldn't charge 2x for food when flying Ex-Singapore just because "Singaporeans can afford higher prices". And Singapore to it's neighbooring countries is even more a difference in costs of living (and everything attached to it) than CH to D, F, I, AT..

Charge reasonable prices, and BOB might work. With reasonable I'd think 10 CHF for a combo sandwich + drink. If LX (and LH) think they can charge restaurant prices, rather than upmarket supermarket prices (which is what Globus is) I can't see them being successful with it.
Old Nov 17, 20, 12:10 pm

Yes, far too expensive. A rip off. But that's like the airline? We are so premium but we are too cheap to put spirits in the lounges due to [redacted].

I feel that LOT's BOB is for passenger convenience and LX's is to try to make money. A G&T on LOT (which uses the LH Gin of the month in First Class so must be so ultra-premium by FT logic) is about 5 EUR including a large 330ML tonic. Cheap for anywhere. Sandwiches are about 3 EUR and aren't like the bread has eaten the filling. They were going to roll-out an offer of about 15 EUR for a premium economy meal in SH Y for pax on Standard fares to buy online which includes drinks from P. I think this is delayed.

While LOT cater to a poorer market, their prices are cheap even by Polish airport standards, that's why I say its passenger convenience than to make money.

If its true that LH Group (exception OS?) might not charge for water then still its better than BArb who will offer up a delicious glass of her potable stocks if you beg.

Last edited by oliver2002; Nov 17, 20 at 2:25 pm Reason: Redacted as per rule 12.3 Posts that are inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative are not allowed.
Old Nov 17, 20, 3:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
Originally Posted by Nick Art View Post
I just flew GVA-MUC twice and RAK-GVA in the last week and I am happy to report back:

The first flight GVA-MUC was in the morning and they offered Birchermüsli on a tablett to all Business Pax. I asked for a carac (which I love) and they told me that it was sadly unavailable.

The RAK-GVA flight (full business class with 4 rows) today had one hot meal option that was served by a rather new but very well doing cabin crew member to each passenger individually: The table would be "set" by placing a small white cloff on the little table (sadly not covering it entirely) and the cuttlery given (although still wrappend in a plastic bag). You were then served the meal not on a tablet but only the plate with the food served to you directly. If this process would be a refined a little this could be potentially made to be a great improvement over the usual tablet meal serving we used to have as it gives more of a à la carte feeling. Sadly dessert as well as starters were only available to be chosen from the saveurs menu. The carac was available there as was everything else. The carac was served on a plate with a fork, but again, still in its carton packaging. It was, however, delicious.
Champagen is still available: A Duval Leroy, although I can't exactly recall which one specifically.
With a few small additional touches like the food and snacks being served unpackaged placed on a plate and the table set a little as it is in International First Class on Swiss I think this could be turned into an upgrade of the current Business Class service. Some additional choices fitting to be a starter or a dessert would round the whole experience perfectly.

The later GVA-MUC flight I was just on was also rather pleasant. We were only 5 pax in Business and they came around with a tablet (in which the usually serve the chocolate) showing all the different kinds of sandwhiches encouraging us to take one. I took the Club Sandwhich, which was decent, but not great. This time, however, I received no plate for it but was given it directly in the carton packaging. Eating it like that made me feel more like I was sitting in SAS Plus tbh...

If you have a nice and engaging crew that is willing to go one step further like serving the snacks on plates etc. (of which btw, they have dozens available in one of the drawers) maybe even without the packaging this could easily be classified as an overall service improvement. If not, however, it's a little worse and feels more like mass handling sadly.
To quote one of my earlier analysis when the concept was available on GVA flights:

I still think this could be an overall improvement at least for C pax, while I don't think the quality for the very short flights will ever be as good as that degustation menu we used to get on ZRH-GVA and ZRH-MUC, especially on a little longer flights where the BOB Menu is available in addition to the Business Food, it could be a great improvement. But a lot depends on how the presentation and service will be handled as mentioned in my above quote. I think a lot could be done there.

In Y, well, while the food won't be missed, the beverages certainly will be. I hope the LHG will reintroduce at least a minimal free beverage selection (Water, Orange Juice, Tea, Coffee and Coke maybe?), with everything else available on the BOB Menu. I really hope the quality of the BOB is as good as they say it will be and not overpriced for its quality as most sandwiches were in the GVA run. I'm still a little disappointed in that sandwich I got back then. At least I got it for free for sitting in C, but had I paid the exorbitant price for it I would have been really disappointed.

But if the quality is right, the prices not to steep, they actually solve the availability problems they had on GVA flights sometimes and at least a small assortment of beverages is again included for free after the pandemic, I think these changes aren't necessarily as bad as they might appear at first.
Old Nov 18, 20, 2:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Annette Mann stated on VFT that the concept ex GVA was a trial and not all components are going to be implemented across LX. For example the C service will stay. No concept like EW where you get to pick anything from the cart if in C.
Old Nov 18, 20, 6:02 am

I've been looking for a thread on VFT about this and have been unable to find one, so I'm probably looking in the wrong place. So what you're saying is, the Business service will not be reduced to just choosing something for free on the BoB trolley? In which case, that will be a good thing. I wish they'd keep a basic free beverage concept, like the US carriers do.
Old Nov 18, 20, 6:07 am

Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
I've been looking for a thread on VFT about this and have been unable to find one, so I'm probably looking in the wrong place. So what you're saying is, the Business service will not be reduced to just choosing something for free on the BoB trolley? In which case, that will be a good thing. I wish they'd keep a basic free beverage concept, like the US carriers do.
https://www.vielfliegertreff.de/luft...denwunsch.html

Search this Thread
Search Engine: