SWISS changed schedule, offering options

Old Sep 10, 20, 2:30 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: YVR
Programs: AC MM
Posts: 1,432
SWISS changed schedule, offering options

I booked flights for the end of this month and mid-October a few days ago: ZRH - DUS/DUS - ZRH-GVA

Today I received an email that there is a change of the ZRH - GVA sector which is a very minor change just shortening our transit time in ZRH and at this point not a reason to not travel for me.
I still received this email from SWISS (below) and I am surprised that they are giving me the option to actually keep the value of the ticket if I choose to not travel until January 31st, 2021.
I am reading this correct? Originally only a change to new flights was allowed if I make the change but it would have to be done before our flight departs on September 30th and I am surprised that they would allow to keep the value of the ticket for the minor change in schedule which is great but just want to be sure I am reading this correctly.

I do have until September 27th to decide and the only reason I would not take this flights is because situation deterioates in Switzerland by the time we arrive and becomes a hotspot country for Germany which is becoming more and more likely.

This is the message I received:
-------------------------------------
Dear SWISS Customer

due to the continuing coronavirus crisis, SWISS must still cancel an increased amount of flights. This has also caused changes to your booking.

We have tried to find the best possible connection for you. Unfortunately, it is not always possible to offer you an alternative. You can find your new itinerary below for your information.

Please check whether you will be able to take the trip as it is booked now or if you want to use our flexible rebooking options to start your trip at a different time.

You can inform us about your decision by using the selection fields below so that we can update your ticket for you without any further effort from your side. Please transmit your reply by Sunday 27 September 2020 , otherwise your flights will be cancelled.

Of course, your booking code and your ticket remain valid for later use. You can contact us by January 31, 2021 at the latest and have your new flights booked*.

* Our 50,00€ discount applies for all tickets issued before May 16,2020 when rebooking to a new travel date in 2020.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused by the flight schedule change.

If you agree to the proposed schedule change, please click here.
Your ticket will automatically be updated with your new flight details.

I agree
If you do not want to start your trip as suggested, please click here.
Your flights will be cancelled, your ticket and your booking code will remain valid. You can book your new flights until January 31,2021. For a new travel date in 2021 please contact us by January 31, 2021 and let us know your flight request
I will use my ticket later
--------------------------------
yvrcnx is offline  
Old Sep 11, 20, 2:20 am
  #2  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 40,482
We have tried to find the best possible connection for you. Unfortunately, it is not always possible to offer you an alternative. You can find your new itinerary below for your information
Recheck your reservation, this sentence indicates that something major changed. It seems to be significant enough to warrant a refund so you got this 'lets keep your money and we give you a voucher' email.
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Sep 11, 20, 10:22 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: YVR
Programs: AC MM
Posts: 1,432
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Recheck your reservation, this sentence indicates that something major changed. It seems to be significant enough to warrant a refund so you got this 'lets keep your money and we give you a voucher' email.
I checked the reservation numerous times to make sure that I didn't miss anything since I found it strange as well but wonder if it's simply computer generated and gets triggered by any change.
Our outbound flight ZRH - DUS had an aircraft change A320 to E190 which is obviously not a problem.

The schedule change is in the ZRH to GVA flight which is slightly later now compared to before and our connection time in Zurich is longer but that is the only change.

It's quite a simple itinerary between cities that usually have numerous flights.
I'll still wait before I respond since Switzerland might be on a list of hot zone countries for entry into Germany by next week in which case we would actually have to just do a transit in Zurich instead of spending a few days as planned right now.
yvrcnx is offline  
Old Sep 11, 20, 12:12 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ZRH, Switzerland
Programs: M&M, LHW, Shangri-La.
Posts: 558
I have a flight with the same case as the OP. Several quite minor schedule changes triggered this mail.
I did not respond or call, expecting LX to cancel after the deadline, like it says in the mail.

That did not happen.

So I will eventually call (well before the departure date) and ask if they can make the reservation dormant or if they offer a full refund. If neither option works, I will just rebook to a future date where the same or lower class and fare is available.
LoungeLizzard is offline  
Old Sep 11, 20, 12:23 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: YVR
Programs: AC MM
Posts: 1,432
Originally Posted by LoungeLizzard View Post
I have a flight with the same case as the OP. Several quite minor schedule changes triggered this mail.
I did not respond or call, expecting LX to cancel after the deadline, like it says in the mail.

That did not happen.

So I will eventually call (well before the departure date) and ask if they can make the reservation dormant or if they offer a full refund. If neither option works, I will just rebook to a future date where the same or lower class and fare is available.
When you received the email, did you have the 2 options: Button 1: I AGREE Button 2: I WILL USE MY TICKET LATER?

I have until September 27th to decide but wonder if I use Button 2, if the ticket will then be made 'dormant' until January 31st as per the email.
My schedule change is so minor that I would definitely go ahead and the only reason I would try and use the ticket later is if Switzerland, specifically Zurich, moves to the hotspot list for Germany.
yvrcnx is offline  
Old Sep 11, 20, 2:33 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ZRH, Switzerland
Programs: M&M, LHW, Shangri-La.
Posts: 558
Originally Posted by yvrcnx View Post
When you received the email, did you have the 2 options: Button 1: I AGREE Button 2: I WILL USE MY TICKET LATER?
Yes.

I'd expect/hope that option 2 makes the ticket dormant, but I trust neither the IT- nor their communications department or whoever is in charge of writing down these rules.

Good luck!
yvrcnx likes this.
LoungeLizzard is offline  
Old Sep 11, 20, 3:21 pm
  #7  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 40,482
I would not press any button and rather call in.
flospi and LoungeLizzard like this.
oliver2002 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: