Arrival Testing

Old Aug 23, 20, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
Arrival Testing

The UK is making a major stride in implementing rapid testing for arriving passengers so as to obviate the need for quarantines. As well it would allow arrivals for more countries including the US. Where is Zurich in all this???? Zurich, in my humble opinion, is the finest airport in Europe. It is clean, efficient, well organized, and, frankly, a pleasure. To stay in the lead, the UK testing example is something to emulate. I would hope that SWISS would push ZRH to start a similar program. Of course, testing might not be 100% (nothing is) but on the scale of risks, allowing tens of thousands of Italians and French to cross the border every day is orders of magnitude more risky.
Old Aug 23, 20, 9:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G ELPL, KL P ELPL, was AB G, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D, SPG P
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer View Post
The UK is making a major stride in implementing rapid testing for arriving passengers so as to obviate the need for quarantines. As well it would allow arrivals for more countries including the US. Where is Zurich in all this???? Zurich, in my humble opinion, is the finest airport in Europe. It is clean, efficient, well organized, and, frankly, a pleasure. To stay in the lead, the UK testing example is something to emulate. I would hope that SWISS would push ZRH to start a similar program. Of course, testing might not be 100% (nothing is) but on the scale of risks, allowing tens of thousands of Italians and French to cross the border every day is orders of magnitude more risky.
There has been a discussion in Switzerland about arrival testing, this in the context of the requirement to quarantine if arriving from a country/region with high infection rates. The epidemiologist, however, did not support this idea due to the significant number of false negatives, in particular if the infection has happened up to 4 days before. Therefore, there is still some debate whether testing on day 4 or 5 with a negative result could shorten quarantine. However, as quarantine is “only” 10 days and test results take 2-3 days to arrive, this would only result in a 2-3 days reduction.
Old Aug 25, 20, 5:25 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer View Post
Zurich, in my humble opinion, is the finest airport in Europe. It is clean, efficient, well organized, and, frankly, a pleasure. Of course, testing might not be 100% (nothing is) but on the scale of risks, allowing tens of thousands of Italians and French to cross the border every day is orders of magnitude more risky.
Nice to read that you like ZRH.

Schengen border closure made for quite a nice summer in Europe and many people are questioning now tourism from overseas (which is not seen any longer an important benefit except for some overpriced luxury properties and businesses which overfocused on it) There seems to be no hurry opening to the US, ME and Asia. Let's talk again in 12 month.

As an US citizen I would try to sneak in via the UK (after 2 weeks quarantine there)

Switzerland has more than the double average new infections over 7 days than Germany and Italy, about the same as Austria, less than France tough.
Old Aug 25, 20, 12:41 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
I just think Switzerland generally is not worried about COVID and thinks the current quarantine of ' very at risk' countries is more than enough.
Old Aug 25, 20, 2:58 pm

Programs: M&M, LHW, Shangri-La.
...and we like simple, pragmatic solutions around here. - And/Or we're simply unable to deal with more sophisticated procedures.
Old Aug 26, 20, 1:45 am

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
There is currently no arrival testing in the U.K. that has any impact on the U.K. Government’s 14 day quarantine on arrival, it’s a wish of the airports led by LHR

Search this Thread
Search Engine: