Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A question on Swiss/Zurich Transit & Quarantine from Increased Risk areas

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2020, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Nick Art
Technically yes, but I wouldn't push it.
Not looking to push it at all, but would hypothetically have a 20 hour layover and would rather do that in a hotel than sitting at a gate.

Reading the government website, an overnight stay seems allowed even when driving through the country, so this doesn't seem much different, but still, as sophialtie says, very confusing.

Pretty sure in their situation, as the UK isn't Schengen, they would have been allowed to transit, just not allowed to "enter" Switzerland, right?
Old Sep 7, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
There is a transit hotel in the airport, however there might be issues if you have to collect checked baggage, as that's on the Schengen side of things.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Got clarification today that I would be allowed to transit if I was coming from LHR. I just can’t enter the Schengen area through Switzerland.

Or I can enter the Schengen area from another EU country and get into Switzerland that way.

And they wouldn’t permit me to enter the Schengen area to use the lounge before connecting to my flight to London.

A bit weird but I don’t care too much
Old Nov 11, 2020, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by greg5
There is a transit hotel in the airport, however there might be issues if you have to collect checked baggage, as that's on the Schengen side of things.
Got pushed into an overnight layover in ZRH, which makes my travel plans perilous. Is there a transit hotel in ZRH I can stay in where I don't technically enter the Schengen area? If not, would I be permitted to stay in a hotel if I can show my onward journey to outside the Schengen area the next morning?
Old Nov 11, 2020, 5:06 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Yes, the airport-operated bedrooms (it would be too much to call it a hotel) are in the non-Schengen part by the Swiss D lounge.
Originally Posted by sophialite
If not, would I be permitted to stay in a hotel if I can show my onward journey to outside the Schengen area the next morning?
That depends on your nationality and where you are coming from...
Old Nov 11, 2020, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by airoli
Yes, the airport-operated bedrooms (it would be too much to call it a hotel) are in the non-Schengen part by the Swiss D lounge.That depends on your nationality and where you are coming from...
US citizen, UK resident (with permit), coming from LHR.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 1:24 pm

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Got pushed into an overnight layover in ZRH, which makes my travel plans perilous. Is there a transit hotel in ZRH I can stay in where I don't technically enter the Schengen area? If not, would I be permitted to stay in a hotel if I can show my onward journey to outside the Schengen area the next morning?
None of the ex-US flights (BOS, ORD, SFO) except JFK and EWR on some days have decent connections to LHR at the moment. Really makes choosing LX impossible for me. I’m not doing an 8 hour layover for a better product.

Then, even with the pandemic, nothing but their absolutely most expensive ex-US C, J, A and F fares are refundable. Can’t even get D at below First Class prices. HON line says Swiss has closed all F redemptions when I was looking in December from US-ZRH, totally zero availability. They wonder why people aren’t flying them..
chris63 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by vantage03
None of the ex-US flights (BOS, ORD, SFO) except JFK and EWR on some days have decent connections to LHR at the moment. Really makes choosing LX impossible for me. I’m not doing an 8 hour layover for a better product.

Then, even with the pandemic, nothing but their absolutely most expensive ex-US C, J, A and F fares are refundable. Can’t even get D at below First Class prices. HON line says Swiss has closed all F redemptions when I was looking in December from US-ZRH, totally zero availability. They wonder why people aren’t flying them..
Well, if you want to fly within LH group, the LX lounges are still offering F&B, and Switzerland/Zürich are still (more or less) open for business, while Germany (and Austria) aren't really.

That 8hrs layover can be enjoyed in Zürich downtown, having a trip on the lake, visiting a pool or a museum, eating at a nice restaurant.. all stuff you can't do in Germany right now.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 2:27 pm

US citizen, UK resident (with permit), coming from LHR.
You will currently be denied entry into Swtizerland, as you are coming from the UK, which Switzerland currently sees as a risk country (see: https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home...nreisende.html) With a connection you will be allowed to transit, but not to leave the International zone. I saw the following earlier on Facebook from ZRH's page:

Transit über den Flughafen Zürich ist immer noch möglich. Du musst keinen negativen Corona-Test vorweisen, noch sonst ein Dokument betreffend dem Corona-Virus. Wenn du aber aus einem Land oder einer Region bist, die auf der Schweizer Risikoliste steht, musst du zwingend während deines Transits in der internationalen Transitzone bleiben und beweisen können, dass du deine Reise fortsetzen wirst. In allen anderen Fällen gelten die gleichen Vorgaben wie sonst.
Wenn du mehr über Transit am Flughafen Zürich wissen willst, besuche unsere Website: https://sohub.io/706s
The transit hotel is probably your best bet.
flyertalker28120 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 2:36 pm

You will currently be denied entry into Swtizerland, as you are coming from the UK, which Switzerland currently sees as a risk country (see: https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home...nreisende.html) With a connection you will be allowed to transit, but not to leave the International zone. I saw the following earlier on Facebook from ZRH's page:
Bul....

Switzerland only has a few countries on it's quarantine list, and the UK isn't one of them (use the link you gave yourself to check)
Old Nov 13, 2020, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Bul....

Switzerland only has a few countries on it's quarantine list, and the UK isn't one of them (use the link you gave yourself to check)
From: https://www.admin.ch/opc/en/classifi...ndex.html#app1

List of high-risk countries and regions

All states outside the Schengen area, with the exception of:
–Andorra
–Australia
–Bulgaria
–Croatia
–Cyprus
–Holy See
–Ireland
–Japan
–Monaco
–New Zealand
–Romania
–Rwanda
–San Marino
–South Korea
–Singapore
–Thailand
–Uruguay
1 Amended by No I of the FDJP O of 29 Oct. 2020, in force since 3 Nov. 2020 (AS 2020 4521).

Last edited by greg5; Nov 13, 2020 at 3:23 pm
Old Nov 13, 2020, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by vantage03

Wait is it true that they closed all F redemptions? Managed to use eVouchers to go from P to first class to EWR from ZRH and the return in December.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 4:56 pm

Citizenship issue aside, I won't be denied entry for the reason that I'm coming from the UK. I'll have to enter quarantine, which I'm fine with since I'm planning to stay the night at La Reserve before heading out to SFO the next morning.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 5:00 pm

Also, this is the list of risk countries:Areas of neighbouring countries

France:
  • Region Hauts-de-France
  • Region Île de France
  • Overseas area French Polynesia

Countries and areas*
  • Andorra
  • Armenia
  • Belgium
  • Czech Republic
*The following applies for all countries that do not share a border with Switzerland: If a country is on the list, this includes all of its areas, islands and overseas territories – even if they are not listed separately.

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home...tml#1355154378

I seriously wish people would read stuff before posting it as fact.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 12:18 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Also, this is the list of risk countries:Areas of neighbouring countries

France:
  • Region Hauts-de-France
  • Region Île de France
  • Overseas area French Polynesia

Countries and areas*
  • Andorra
  • Armenia
  • Belgium
  • Czech Republic
*The following applies for all countries that do not share a border with Switzerland: If a country is on the list, this includes all of its areas, islands and overseas territories – even if they are not listed separately.

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home...tml#1355154378

I seriously wish people would read stuff before posting it as fact.
Probably the poster hasn't realized that the list (and the criteria) have been updated on Oct 29. The one before included UK.
However, on your remark on quarantine: you won't be able to leave the hotel after 1 day if you indeed had to quarantine - only after 10 days:

What to do after entering Switzerland

• Upon arrival, go immediately to your home or to other suitable accommodation (e.g. a hotel or holiday apartment). On the way there, keep a minimum distance of 1.5 metres from other people. If you are unable to maintain this distance, we recommend that you wear a mask. Avoid public transport if possible.
  • Report your arrival to the cantonal authority responsible within two days. Follow the instructions of the cantonal authority.
  • For 10 days after your arrival in Switzerland you must stay in your home or other suitable accommodation without going out. Avoid contact with other people and follow the instructions on quarantine (PDF, 182 kB, 12.09.2020).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.