Swiss / ZRH: Travel experience in during COVID [mask mandate etc]

Old Aug 7, 2020, 3:11 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by WannabeSE
But passport control at ZRH did hassle me a bit as I didn't have a return flight, or my first night, or an idea when I was returning.
If you were able entering the Schengen space from North America you must be double national or in another exempt category (EU family member, important business mission...). Having an EU passport you have as per "status quo antes" no questions to answer while entering Switzerland having the right of free movement. So this "grilling" worries me.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 3:43 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by behuman
If you were able entering the Schengen space from North America you must be double national or in another exempt category (EU family member, important business mission...)
Switzerland and most other European countries have admitted Canadians travelling for any reason again since about mid-July.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 9:47 am

Programs: LH M+M
Did HAM-ZRH with LX on Sunday in C:
- bit weird a boarding.. "if Group 2, but Aisle, please board with Group 5" -- right.
- cold meal on china, most drinks avail
- no passport control at arrival (they had that for a while, even with Schengen)
- promptly bagagge delivery
- masks "recommended" at airport, required in flight (besides meal)
Old Aug 11, 2020, 12:13 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
LHR-ZRH in C
A340
As HON I was able pre book and sit in F cabin
All other C pax in the C cabin
Service was outstanding and felt as personalised and attentive F, even with C catering.
Blanket and noise cancelling headphones waiting at seat, as were many disinfectant wipes. SWISS Connect was working on the flight
I had ordered a special meal (lactose free) which was totally fine
Note check in was SO friendly at LHR, and the LHR LH Business Lounge is open with staffed buffet service which felt like an upgrade.

ZRH-MLA in C
A220
Boarded from Bus Gate at ZRH (no Limo service at the moment) but thankfully wasn’t too full
Service totally normal, with the addition of disinfectant wipes handed out on boarding.
First time I’ve been offered a hot meal choice on this route, there was a meatloaf and a hot vegetarian option.
Again, check in all great at ZRH, SEN A Lounge was a very average experience though.

Overall, two excellent flights, honestly the service flow and experience has hardly changed in C... some things felt like an upgrade.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 7:00 am

One thing to amend.. you've to fill in a contact form. Be prepared to know address (zip, telephone) of your destination (and your previous routing, if any)
Forms will be collected pre landing... no further inquiry while immigration (at least for schengen arrival)
Old Aug 12, 2020, 2:07 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Yes good point. Most countries have incoming passenger forms now, for track-and-trace mostly.

There is one for Switzerland, the crew hand this out with new pens for each person, then collect the form before landing.

Same on the way to Malta, FYI. However they had two forms. One was a health declaration, and one for tracking.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 10:54 am

Oh indeed... you get a free SWISS pen "in return" ;-)
Old Aug 14, 2020, 12:17 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Those forms are a joke. CH really should have an online solution like many other countries.

BAG needs to work something out. Good luck deciphering my handwriting.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 3:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Flew EWR-ZRH-VIE.

EWR was deserted, it was eerie. The lounge offering consisted of chips, ccookies, and water bottles. Not somewhere I'd want to spend a lot of time!

The J mini-cabin had 3 out of 9 seats filled. Service was basically normal with a friendly crew. Filled out a contact tracing form which was collected by the crew.

Transit in ZRH was normal using my German passport. I did overhear passengers at the next booth.. one was an EU citizen and one wasn't, and the border police asked for proof that they were engaged. So it seems like they are being strict about the access rules.

ZRH lounge was very full with reasonable offerings. When I left there was a queue to get in as capacity had been reached and no one was being admitted.

On the ZRH-VIE flight the crew handed out Austrian contact tracing forms, but these were never collected. Also, no one looked at my medical certificate/negative covid test. Frustrating given how much time I spent trying to get a doctor to sign the form!

Hope this is helpful to anyone traveling.
florens and David Lloydhughes like this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 2:37 am

On way back ZRH-HAM, Sunday morning 10:00. No queues at checkin, fasttrack security (eco looked rather empty, too), lounge.
Maybe 20 PAX in Terminal A SEN lounge. Fresh food, incl scrambled eggs front cooking.
Lounge has reduced capacity (less tables) and HON/F have reserved seating on this lil elevated floor.
CDG1 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 3:56 am

Programs: aeroplan
Researching for our Swiss BKK-ZRH-YUL flt early September after extended stay in the Kingdom. Good. News so far Thank you.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 4:29 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Question

Originally Posted by PAX_fips
On way back ZRH-HAM, Sunday morning 10:00. No queues at checkin, fasttrack security (eco looked rather empty, too), lounge.
Maybe 20 PAX in Terminal A SEN lounge. Fresh food, incl scrambled eggs front cooking.
Lounge has reduced capacity (less tables) and HON/F have reserved seating on this lil elevated floor.
GVA lounges are closed due to WuFlu.

Should be in at some point mid-afternoon after landing from GVA (16.05). I was rerouted by Swiss. My GVA -NCE flight was cancelled, now rerouted via ZRH with a long lay over. A Lounge closing 8.00 PM.

Flight to NCE next morning 7.40 AM. Will pck up voucher at transfer desk on arrival.

Question: Does the A lounge have Mövenpick ice cream at this point? They usually have it during Summer.

Last edited by CDG1; Aug 18, 2020 at 7:46 am
Old Aug 18, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by florens
Those forms are a joke. CH really should have an online solution like many other countries.

BAG needs to work something out. Good luck deciphering my handwriting.
Frankly I don't think BAG cares, Switzerland has by far the most relaxed approach towards COVID compared to Germany, UK, Greece and Turkey, etc.
You don't even need to wear a mask in ZRH!

On a flight to GVA in July, they ran out of forms so I didn't even end up filling one, the Cabin Crew said 'oh well'.
florens likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by CDG1
GVA lounges are closed due to WuFlu.

Should be in at some point mid-afternoon after landing from GVA (16.05). I was rerouted by Swiss. My GVA -NCE flight was cancelled, now rerouted via ZRH with a long lay over. A Lounge closing 8.00 PM.

Flight to NCE next morning 7.40 AM. Will pck up voucher at transfer desk on arrival.

Question: Does the A lounge have Mövenpick ice cream at this point? They usually have it during Summer.
Didn't see any when I was there on Monday, unless they are hiding it = )
Old Aug 18, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Smile

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Didn't see any when I was there on Monday, unless they are hiding it = )
This year is definitely different. They had lots last Summer in all the Swiss Lounges on Swiss grounds.
I would eat only ice cream. A feast.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.