Swiss / ZRH: Travel experience in during COVID

Old Jul 5, 20, 2:35 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: ZRH / YUL
Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
Posts: 6,794
Originally Posted by royal757 View Post
because check-in machines have a huge amount of fingerprints, saliva from people talking and coughing and such. This is my guess why check-in machines have been disabled..
That might be, but it wouldn't make any sense: Infections via touching contaminated surfaces are a secondary channel, and can be easily managed by using hand sanitizer before/after using the kiosk.
Not activating the kiosks resulted in massive, densely packed "American queueing" lines in front of the check-in desks, and not many people wore masks. As we know, droplets and aerosols are the primary channel of infection.
(Not meaning to be alarmist but as I start travelling again, I see all sorts of nonesensical or incoherent closures etc. in various places.)
airoli is offline  
Old Jul 5, 20, 2:37 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: ZRH / YUL
Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
Posts: 6,794
Originally Posted by GVA View Post
If you take McDonalds as an example, they still use them.
Or supermarkets, or train ticket machines, or ATMs....
florens likes this.
airoli is offline  
Old Jul 6, 20, 1:19 am
  #18  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 40,430
The surfaces of touch screens used in such kiosks are not made for repeated wipe downs with sanitizers and degrade quickly if cleaned so often. The manufacturer of the kiosks is trying to find a solution...
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Jul 19, 20, 5:27 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CH / NL
Programs: LX HON, FB Platinum for life, Sixt/Hilton Diamond
Posts: 152
First flight since months, AMS -ZRH in J. Perfect service on-board, AMS not very crowded and well organized (watch out, no lounge: bring your Priority Pass). In ZRH surprised to see how busy. Just like business as usual?!

Took some photos through-out my journey: https://www.instagram.com/stories/hi...3743526292447/
vantage03 likes this.
Nik_Jr is offline  
Old Jul 20, 20, 7:27 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: LGA
Posts: 214
Flight: LX18
Departure:: 5:20pm (scheduled), 5:35pm (actual)
Flight time: 8:20
Equipment: Boeing 777-300
Class: First
Pax onboard: 60, almost empty. J had 24 and F was 1 (I was the only one)

I flew ZRH-EWR in First yesterday and was the only one in the cabin.

Service was amazing, full course meal, champagne and wine selection was incredible. The two flight attendants dedicated to the F cabin were so nice and generous. Crew had face masks. There was no change to an original service, only thing is there is no mercedes transfer at ZRH and First lounge was closed.
Captain invited me to the cockpit before we departed. Thought was was pretty cool.
vantage03 likes this.
royal757 is offline  
Old Jul 21, 20, 12:14 am
  #21  
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: ZRH
Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
Posts: 2,243
Were pax following the mandatory face mask rules as per Swiss law? (Except during meal service of course)
Nick Art is offline  
Old Jul 21, 20, 7:11 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: LGA
Posts: 214
Originally Posted by Nick Art View Post
Were pax following the mandatory face mask rules as per Swiss law? (Except during meal service of course)
yes, every pax and every flight attendant had their masks on and were following guidelines.
Nick Art likes this.
royal757 is offline  
Old Jul 27, 20, 7:09 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Programs: AA plat, Hertz, gold , Bonvoy gold,IHGplat
Posts: 184
Hopefully will be flying in the fall on LX 656 business ZRH -CDG. Its a little over an hour. Can I expect a drink and food service?
Srklaw7 is offline  
Old Jul 28, 20, 1:47 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver)
Posts: 4,186
I didnít realise Zurich airport does not have compulsory masks at this time though most people wear one. I was there today, the A lounge for Swiss was lovely, 5 min line in security otherwise everything was a breeze
ahmetdouas is offline  
Old Aug 2, 20, 7:46 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: GRU, ZRH, LUG
Programs: LX SEN, BA Silver
Posts: 82
Sharing my experience aboard LX92 (ZRH-GRU) yesterday.

Very quick visit to the lounge in ZH. No line at the entrance (13:00) and very acceptable food/drinks offering, considering the circumstances. The main area of the Business lounge was open to provide more seating, no service there - one could access the Business lounge through a door at the back of the SEN lounge. Flight departed from E gates. It looks like during August the E gates will be used only on Saturdays during the noon departure bank.

The flight itself was one of the best I had. Very light load (1F, 16C, around 60-80Y), very friendly crew and quick and efficient service. Food and drinks was the same to before Corona (Kanton Zug menu). Flight Attendants gifting whole Lindt pralines boxes to status passenger in C :-)
LUGlodo is offline  
Old Aug 3, 20, 4:41 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 1,423
Travelled YYC-ORD-ZRH-PRG on Sat/Sun. ORD-ZRH-PRG on LX. My first time using T5 in ORD and the concourse leaves much to be desired, most of the window seats are near the end of the moving walkways with that annoying announcement that repeats every 15 seconds. Also it was basically impossible not be a gate lice as the announcements from the GA were inaudible anywhere than right beside the gate due to the stupid moving sidewalk warning. The long haul flight was one of the best flights I've had in a while in terms of service and quality of food and drink. There was one person in F, maybe 15 in C, 80-100 in Y? I sat in the mini cabin behind F. There were two other pax in 4A and 5A and the guy in F was in 1A. So the closest person to me was about 20 feet away. No one walked by my seat for the entire flight until the F flight attendant was putting away bedding before landing. Unfortunately my seat (5K) had a deflated seat cushion shortly after dinner and I was unable to fix, so I moved to 5G to sleep and then 4K for breakfast with a view. They woke me up exactly 39 minutes before landing for breakfast, just impeccable service really. I had so many trips back from the flight attendant to refill wine that I could barely drink it all. And I needed to be well rested on arrival so I had to cut myself off. The only thing to detract from the experience was that the door at the bottom of the exit stairs from the gate in ZRH was locked so instead of being the first off the plane I ended up being near the last as no one was coming, I walked all the way back to the jetbridge to get someone to open the door for us. I ended up in a huge slow moving line into transfer security as only one channel was open most of the time. I didn't bother to visit the lounge between flights as all I wanted was some water. The Schengen gate area (A) was very busy. The flight from ZRH-PRG was upgauged from A220 to A320 and even that was 95% full. We had a nice snack on the short hop from ZRH-PRG. Here are some photos from the journey. One thing I didn't take a photo of but is worth mentioning is that there was a woman on the ORD-ZRH flight decked out in full Tyvek bunny suit including shoes. But no face shield or gloves. Not sure what she was trying to do except maybe sweat off a few pounds.






















lukulius likes this.
YYCCL3 is offline  
Old Aug 3, 20, 5:02 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: YYZ-YYC
Programs: OZ*G
Posts: 132
Originally Posted by YYCCL3 View Post
Travelled YYC-ORD-ZRH-PRG on Sat/Sun. ORD-ZRH-PRG on LX. My first time using T5 in ORD and the concourse leaves much to be desired, most of the window seats are near the end of the moving walkways with that annoying announcement that repeats every 15 seconds. Also it was basically impossible not be a gate lice as the announcements from the GA were inaudible anywhere than right beside the gate due to the stupid moving sidewalk warning. The long haul flight was one of the best flights I've had in a while in terms of service and quality of food and drink. There was one person in F, maybe 15 in C, 80-100 in Y? I sat in the mini cabin behind F. There were two other pax in 4A and 5A and the guy in F was in 1A. So the closest person to me was about 20 feet away. No one walked by my seat for the entire flight until the F flight attendant was putting away bedding before landing. Unfortunately my seat (5K) had a deflated seat cushion shortly after dinner and I was unable to fix, so I moved to 5G to sleep and then 4K for breakfast with a view. They woke me up exactly 39 minutes before landing for breakfast, just impeccable service really. I had so many trips back from the flight attendant to refill wine that I could barely drink it all. And I needed to be well rested on arrival so I had to cut myself off. The only thing to detract from the experience was that the door at the bottom of the exit stairs from the gate in ZRH was locked so instead of being the first off the plane I ended up being near the last as no one was coming, I walked all the way back to the jetbridge to get someone to open the door for us. I ended up in a huge slow moving line into transfer security as only one channel was open most of the time. I didn't bother to visit the lounge between flights as all I wanted was some water. The Schengen gate area (A) was very busy. The flight from ZRH-PRG was upgauged from A220 to A320 and even that was 95% full. We had a nice snack on the short hop from ZRH-PRG. Here are some photos from the journey. One thing I didn't take a photo of but is worth mentioning is that there was a woman on the ORD-ZRH flight decked out in full Tyvek bunny suit including shoes. But no face shield or gloves. Not sure what she was trying to do except maybe sweat off a few pounds.
Are you a resident of Europe? I was scheduled on the same route but my interpretation of the transit rules did not allow me to go via the USA. Instead I took YYC-YUL-ZRH-PRG. The LX long haul between YUL-ZRH was amazing, and there were 4 passengers in Business. Much better way to cross the pond than AC.
YYCCL3 likes this.
WannabeSE is offline  
Old Aug 3, 20, 5:15 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 1,423
Originally Posted by WannabeSE View Post
Are you a resident of Europe? I was scheduled on the same route but my interpretation of the transit rules did not allow me to go via the USA. Instead I took YYC-YUL-ZRH-PRG. The LX long haul between YUL-ZRH was amazing, and there were 4 passengers in Business. Much better way to cross the pond than AC.
I'm not a resident of Europe but I fall under the family exemption which allows for unrestricted travel for immediate family members of EU citizens. I checked this beforehand using TIMATIC as well as an email to the Swiss border ministry, which said that I should also fall under "arriving from Canada" which I guess means since I had no significant stay in the US the transit would have been OK anyway. It was probably safer for you to go through YUL. I had proof of relationship on hand but the only time I needed to produce it was at the gate in ORD. I think I could have fought it just on principle but I didn't want to waste their time. At check in YYC I only had to show a return flight booking (this was a one way Aeroplan booking); passport control in ZRH just asked me how long I was in ORD; no questions at all at the temporary passport control in PRG.
WannabeSE likes this.
YYCCL3 is offline  
Old Aug 4, 20, 2:40 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Programs: TK, SQ, Swiss M&M
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by LUGlodo View Post
Sharing my experience aboard LX92 (ZRH-GRU) yesterday.

Very quick visit to the lounge in ZH. No line at the entrance (13:00) and very acceptable food/drinks offering, considering the circumstances. The main area of the Business lounge was open to provide more seating, no service there - one could access the Business lounge through a door at the back of the SEN lounge. Flight departed from E gates. It looks like during August the E gates will be used only on Saturdays during the noon departure bank.

The flight itself was one of the best I had. Very light load (1F, 16C, around 60-80Y), very friendly crew and quick and efficient service. Food and drinks was the same to before Corona (Kanton Zug menu). Flight Attendants gifting whole Lindt pralines boxes to status passenger in C :-)
Does anyone know if the Swiss lounge in GVA is open? I'm flying TAP in a few days and I read that the lounge would be closed and so I was surprised by the above post that the Swiss lounge in ZRH is open.

Edit: I saw in the other thread that it's only the ZRH lounge open at the moment.

Last edited by Snoozeboy; Aug 4, 20 at 2:53 am
Snoozeboy is offline  
Old Aug 4, 20, 1:16 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: YYZ-YYC
Programs: OZ*G
Posts: 132
Originally Posted by YYCCL3 View Post
I'm not a resident of Europe but I fall under the family exemption which allows for unrestricted travel for immediate family members of EU citizens. I checked this beforehand using TIMATIC as well as an email to the Swiss border ministry, which said that I should also fall under "arriving from Canada" which I guess means since I had no significant stay in the US the transit would have been OK anyway. It was probably safer for you to go through YUL. I had proof of relationship on hand but the only time I needed to produce it was at the gate in ORD. I think I could have fought it just on principle but I didn't want to waste their time. At check in YYC I only had to show a return flight booking (this was a one way Aeroplan booking); passport control in ZRH just asked me how long I was in ORD; no questions at all at the temporary passport control in PRG.
I too booked a one way with Aeroplan, as due to COVID my company is making me take off all of my banked vacation... 2 months of it. That being said, YYC didn't ask about the return flight, but passport control at ZRH did hassle me a bit as I didn't have a return flight, or my first night, or an idea when I was returning. After showing that I indeed had Health Insurance, and was currently employed, I was let through... I don't blame them, I would have asked the same questions - not often do you get someone showing up with no plans.

Speaking of Swiss, their new A340 cabin is nice... It was exactly the same seats as SN 'Boutique' business class. That being said the hard product on AC's 777 or 787 is better due to the additional room.
zrh2yvr and YYCCL3 like this.
WannabeSE is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: