June flight US to Zurich - no longer scheduled

Old May 21, 20, 2:15 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: SFO & FRA & SYD
Programs: UA, VA, SPG, Sixt, many others
Posts: 55
June flight US to Zurich - no longer scheduled

Advice appreciated. I hold multiple bookings in business class (Z) for U.S. to Zurich in mid-June. The June timetable (www.swiss.com/us/en/various/breaking-news) does no longer list the flights. The flights can also no longer be booked on the LX website. Yet the LX call center told me that the flights are scheduled and the reason why they cannot be booked is "because they are sold out". This seems hard to belief. The fare code is ZNW57ENC which LX considers completely non-refundable. For all the obvious reasons, we cannot go anyway (EU external borders will be closed at the time (ZRH is only first port of entry), quarantine requirements, intra-European flights no longer operating, etc.).

Option 1: I can wait until LX cancels the flight (one day out?) and then request a refund. Question: What happens if LX offers a re-routing through FRA etc.? Would I need to accept this?
Option 2: I can take vouchers and re-book eventually. But that is utterly impracticable since it involves five passengers including children. Could I use a voucher to book a fully refundable ticket and then apply for a full refund?
Option 3: ?

Thanks,
Waldo

Last edited by whereiswaldo; May 21, 20 at 2:16 pm Reason: grammar
whereiswaldo is online now  
Old May 21, 20, 2:50 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ZRH, Switzerland
Programs: M&M, LHW, Shangri-La.
Posts: 497
Please see this thread where a similar discussion is already going on.

In essence: LX has announced about a week ago the schedule which they intend to fly in June, and is in the process of removing all the other flights.
They currently say on their news page that they will offer in June to the US:
in addition to its three weekly services (from Zurich) to New York / Newark (...), flights from Zurich to New York JFK (4 times weekly), Chicago (twice weekly)
It seems obvious to me that they just used the "quick and dirty" option of setting the availability to zero for many flights which won't operate, and the timetable is not fully cleaned up yet. So I'd agree with you: Those flights with zero availability are not sold out, but they won't operate with a 99% likelyhood. Reservation agents with at least some basic training should also be able to see the load themselves and realise this.

As to your options: I'd definitely stay with Option 1, i.e. wait until your flight is officially cancelled and ask for a refund. Please note that LX takes a looong time to process refunds at the moment. They say that they will pay, and they have a substantial government grant, but they need time.
I see no reason why you would have to accept a rerouting, even less so if you are US citizens and won't be able to enter Switzerland by mid June.
Trying to change non-refundable into refundable via a voucher and a new ticket is not a good idea.
LoungeLizzard is offline  
Old May 21, 20, 3:46 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
Posts: 342
My source in the LH Group says that definitive timetables for June will be announced shortly. Decisions are in the course of being made.
Dave_C likes this.
sfoeuroflyer is offline  
Old May 21, 20, 3:58 pm
  #4  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: ZRH
Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
Posts: 1,956
By waiting for the flights to get cancelled, if your flight gets cancelled, also gives you the option to postpone your travel free of charge to anytime until the end of 2021.
Nick Art is offline  
Old May 22, 20, 9:23 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: SFO
Programs: AS MVP, UA, SK, UR, MR
Posts: 663
Originally Posted by LoungeLizzard View Post
It seems obvious to me that they just used the "quick and dirty" option of setting the availability to zero for many flights which won't operate, and the timetable is not fully cleaned up yet. So I'd agree with you: Those flights with zero availability are not sold out, but they won't operate with a 99% likelyhood. Reservation agents with at least some basic training should also be able to see the load themselves and realise this.

As to your options: I'd definitely stay with Option 1, i.e. wait until your flight is officially cancelled and ask for a refund.
I have a reservation for an LX SFO-ZRH flight in June. When I logged in on the LX website this morning, about ten seats were taken on this 52 row flight, and it wasn't available for booking. It fully aligns with what you say. I'll stick with option 1.

Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer View Post
A friend at SWISS pointed me to an announcement that SWISS will fly 1X per week to SFO starting beginning of June. ZRH-SFO on Monday. then SFO-ZRH on Wed.
My flight is not on a Wednesday.
vanillabean is offline  
Old Today, 4:45 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 971
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer View Post
My source in the LH Group says that definitive timetables for June will be announced shortly. Decisions are in the course of being made.
Also for Brussels?
Dan1113 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: