Swiss Re Routing problem -UK Address required

Old May 2, 20, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, AF Platinum,TK and A3 Gold
Swiss Re Routing problem -UK Address required

Hi,My flights were cancelled one day after purchase probably due to the corona-virus which left me in a difficult situation because I was due to travel 48 hours after purchase.

They assumed no responsibility for the situation and fobbed me off saying it was a third party responsibility and for the travel agent to provide a solution which did not include simply being able to re-book the flights to travel at a date convenient for me in the same class of travel.

They are unilaterally imposing a strange regulation that I would have had to re book my ticket to fly within one week from the date of my original reservation. They offer a refund but I would like to travel.

They offer no compensation at all. Do I have any rights?

They want me to pay for the rerouting (at the date I want).
I believe I have the right to re routing without extra fees .
I may take Swiss to small claim court in the U.K but I need the address .
can you help?
Thanks
Old May 2, 20, 11:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
You have already posted and received advice here Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Please stick with one thread.
Old May 2, 20, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your time.
As you appears to be very knowledgeable . Are you able to answer the question!
Do you have the Swiss address in the U.K?
greatly appreciated
Old May 3, 20, 1:32 am

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by john1987 View Post
Thank you for your time.
As you appears to be very knowledgeable . Are you able to answer the question!
Do you have the Swiss address in the U.K?
greatly appreciated
UK address is same for LH group.

World Business Center 1,
Newall road,
London Heathrow,
Hounslow,
TW6 2FA.
Old May 5, 20, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks
Old May 6, 20, 2:08 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Trying to get LX to rebook you to another carrier will be very much uphill. Most carriers have refused to do that by now. And you certainly can't rebook to any date at your convenience without paying the fare difference; EU Reg. doesn't support this.
Your best chance is to accept the refund (even as a voucher) and book the other carrier on your own.

No compensation for cancellation under EU law is due during Covid-19.
clubeurope likes this.
Old May 6, 20, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
Trying to get LX to rebook you to another carrier will be very much uphill. Most carriers have refused to do that by now. And you certainly can't rebook to any date at your convenience without paying the fare difference; EU Reg. doesn't support this.
Your best chance is to accept the refund (even as a voucher) and book the other carrier on your own.

No compensation for cancellation under EU law is due during Covid-19.
hi
thank you for your reply.
i am very surprised by your statement as the EU updated from the EU commission dated from 18/03 stated the following :n the section 3.2 pag 3

right to reimbursament ou re -routing
in the case of a flight cancellation by the airline (no matter what cause is) article 5 obliges the operating air carrier to offerthe passengers the choice among
a) reimbursement (refund)
b) re-routing at earliest opportunity, or
c) re-routing at later date at passenger's convenience

ec.europa/transport/sites/transport/files/legislation/c20201830.pdf.

greatly appreciated comments
and advice

Old May 6, 20, 3:02 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
I am aware of the EU regulation but the fact is that most carriers have been forced to ignore it in this unprecedented situation and now there is a strong pressure by many/certain member states to amend the regulation, e.g. in respect to refunds. I'm not convinced that you will be able to rely on the regulation at the end of the day, but let us see what happens.

Secondly, rebooking to a later date convenient to pax, requires that the same booking class is available - there is no right to rebook into whatever booking class is available, let alone rerouting to other carriers - these rights are only applicable under b) rebooking at earliest opportunity. As I understand it you have requested to rebook to a later date (i.a. to a date convenient to you) and even to another carrier - that is never going to fly/be allowed, sorry.
Old May 6, 20, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Push the reimbursement and focus there. You won't get a different substantive answer by communicating with different physical addresses.
2. There is no EC 261/2004 requirement that a carrier rebook onto other carriers. While some may have done that as a practice in the past, LX will not do that now (and more often that not, no solution anyway).
3. If you want to rebook on LX at a future date, that is a possibility, but it will only be on the fare basis paid (or you may pay the fare difference). If that is what you want to do, take the credit and use it at your risk in the future to rebook.

On the more practical side, you are due a reimbursement (refund) under EC 261/2004. LX will push back. Be polite but firm, do everything in writing, keep copies & screenshots. If you booked through a third-party, you will need to make your request to the third-party.

Wait 7 days and, if you have not either been denied or have not heard, initiate a dispute (chargeback request) with your credit card issuer (bank) and supply the documentation so that your submission is complete. The easier you make it, the better and faster this goes.
mmff likes this.
Old May 10, 20, 4:06 am
Original Poster

I understand the refund may be easier . however there is law that needs to apply to everyone .
I also understand that the re routing needs to be in the same class .
I do have an email from Swiss with an offer of seat in the same class of booking however with additional payment for the re booking.
I believe that I have a strong case try to redress the problem via the small claim court in the U.K as I bought the ticket in the UK ,despite flying from France.
It might be not very sensible option therefore I am trying to get more Advice before making my final decision.

Last edited by john1987; May 10, 20 at 8:10 am
Old May 15, 20, 5:47 am

In the UK the CAA requires that carriers rebook to other carriers. They famously ran ads about this when Ryanair were on strike and FR eventually gave in. The UK is a good place to deal with your case and should LX refuse to pay, as they're flying daily to LHR, impounding an aircraft is always an option with a HC writ .
chris63 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: