Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid19: Swiss refunds after cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
As you chose to book through a travel agent, you must deal with your travel agent. Your credits, if they are available, will come from UA and LX respectively and will be subject to any additional rules of your travel agent.

However, unless you are traveling in the next day, wait. It is almost a certainty that one or both of those flights will be cancelled. When that happens, you may cancel (with Amex Travel) for a full refund.
Thanks. If the flights were not cancelled how would the credit be separated between the two airlines?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Still, I have gotten some heat on that.
But could you guys please report back to us once a chargeback case has been successful with your card-issueing bank.
I worry a bit that the card-issueing banks may block such chargeback requests against airlines due to the Coronavirus outbreak.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Based on what you're describing, I think you've been subject to the same sneaky BS move Swiss just pulled on me:
well, yes, strange, I called again tonight saying I got no confirmation, (I think I even got the same agent) and he said he sent it again, but so far no email yet.
I thought it was kind of strange that he initially said I should call OS then backtracked and said he could do it. Maybe he did some kind of bait and switch maneuver just to have me believe it was being processed, hoping I would forget in a few weeks? Obviously I am not accusing him personally, but rather if this were the case, I am sure he has orders from above to be as vague and sneaky as possible...
Anyway, we will see how this pans out.

The sad truth is, although I fully support views expressed here that based on this bad behavior we should take our business elsewhere when things pick up again, with only three main mega groups in Europe, its kind of hard to avoid them for any serious international travel. Yes, EasyJet is nice for a quick weekend within Europe and the occasional work trip when the employer is cheap, but other than that we are still slaves to the legacy groups. And I am talking more about leisure travel, not corporate where there is no choice anyway. All it will take is a good P or A class long haul promo or new F/C product with doors and whatever gadget and I will be back onboard. And you all too...and they know it.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
Please report back here once you have received that confirmation email, which confirms the full cash refund.
Can you please slow down with your unsubstantiated claims of acquiring banks and refund withdrawals. I don’t believe we have any confirmation at all, and you speculation is really not helpful.
What is your exact problem, LondonElite?

I was asking rosenkavalier to report back to us once he received an email from Swiss confirming the full cash refund - I asked, because I had my doubts that the LX call center agent told him the truth.
And apparently my suspicion was not completely unfounded.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There can only be one ticketing carrier for one e-ticket.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:25 pm
Suspended

The sad truth is, although I fully support views expressed here that based on this bad behavior we should take our business elsewhere when things pick up again, with only three main mega groups in Europe, its kind of hard to avoid them for any serious international travel. Yes, EasyJet is nice for a quick weekend within Europe and the occasional work trip when the employer is cheap,
It seems that Easyjet, Ryanair, BA and co. are following the lead of LX. There are more and more reports popping up here at FT of problems requesting cash refunds. FR and U2 - by convenience - are crashing when requesting a cash refund.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by warakorn
Still, I have gotten some heat on that.
But could you guys please report back to us once a chargeback case has been successful with your card-issueing bank.
I worry a bit that the card-issueing banks may block such chargeback requests against airlines due to the Coronavirus outbreak.
At which point you file a claim with the local banking regulator citing violation of the relevant Consumer Credit Act.

Think the banks would probably rather avoid bringing any more regulatory wrath down upon their heads.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:53 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by capedreamer
I have a CDG-ZRH-GRU-EZE booking in P for which the first 3 segments have been cancelled. After finally reaching Swiss on the phone, the (actually quite friendly) agent agreed that I'm entitled to a full refund. However, my ticket was unfortunately purchased through Expedia, so according to this agent, I need to call Expedia and request a refund there, at which point Expedia will request it from Swiss, and Swiss will approve. I of course cannot reach Expedia nor have faith that the next person I speak to at Swiss or Expedia won't change tunes on me. Sigh...
This is pretty standard. I had a booking from expedia on UA, same thing. Called Expedia they gave me some BS (I cancelled this just, before all these travel waivers were in place) and said they couldn't cancel blah blah. I called UA and he (Filipino agent, I always like getting routed to that call centre, they're so nice!) agreed that based on the current circumstances a full refund shouldn't be a problem, but he said he couldn't do it, that I'd have to get it from Expedia. I called them back, told them what the UA guy had told me and this agent was good to process things.

In your case, Expedia should be processing your refund. You gave your money to THEM, not to Swiss. This is the little bit of protection you get, albeit with added hassle, when buying from a TA. The TA should refund you immediately, assuming you "qualify" for that refund. Then THEY can fight with Swiss to get that money back. It should also be easier for them, while they'll be owed a lot more money than just yours, it should also be easier for LX to process like one big fat refund down the line to expedia who can also afford to wait a little bit.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I also want to be clear, since it came up in a few posts (although not this one I've quoted), I don't expect the compensation for cancellation within 14 days that's normally due under EU261. Even before the EU issued their guidelines a couple of days ago clarifying that it wasn't going to be applicable, I didn't think it would be reasonable for someone to ask for that and would not have asked for that myself. All I want is my refund.
Would this apply anyway? I can't see how this pandemic is the airline's fault, this one kinda screams "act of god" to me, or closure of borders by government action. Refund of course should apply, but compensation seems like a bit of a reach to me.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Where is all the discussion about easyJet? Apparently they have been behaving like pigs these last few days.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:43 am

Programs: EBD & Lifetime Gold
I'm in the same situation with a First ticket to SFO at 4000 EUR. Cancelled on my initiative three weeks back, got a confirmation email then saying

"Your booking has been cancelled as requested.

Tickets nos.:
724xxxxxxxxxx

have been passed on for a possible* refund."

Thereafter, nothing. Please note that this was cancelled by me, using the cancellation rules of the ticket, nothing complementary here by Swiss. Still, I've called twice and all I'm hearing is that refunds will be processed in September.

Now working with my bank (through MasterCard) to claim this as a card credit I haven't received. The bank's reaction was that Swiss cannot hold rightful refunds back for months at their discretion, it likely breaches multiple T&Cs in the supply chain.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:44 am

Programs: EBD & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
There is no confirmation that I have seen that LX has adopted a blanket policy of not refunding for cancelled flights.
What is so hard for you to understand?

"We are currently unable to process any kind of refund on any channel."
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It seems all airlines have unilaterally disabled the option to get refunds for TAs via the BSP link. Most are offering travel vouchers valid for a year, EK is offering a validity of 720 days.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Paby
Now working with my bank (through MasterCard) to claim this as a card credit I haven't received. The bank's reaction was that Swiss cannot hold rightful refunds back for months at their discretion, it likely breaches multiple T&Cs in the supply chain.
That's certainly a nice opinion of your bank. But all that matters is a successful processing of the chargeback. Please report back!
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Paby
I'm in the same situation with a First ticket to SFO at 4000 EUR. Cancelled on my initiative three weeks back, got a confirmation email then saying

"Your booking has been cancelled as requested.

Tickets nos.:
724xxxxxxxxxx

have been passed on for a possible* refund."

Thereafter, nothing. Please note that this was cancelled by me, using the cancellation rules of the ticket, nothing complementary here by Swiss. Still, I've called twice and all I'm hearing is that refunds will be processed in September.

Should be nothing to "work". Most banks should handle this online and, at most, ask you to demonstrate your entitlement to a refund. I would simply ask your bank when you will see the credit in your account.
mmff likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:43 am

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
Dear FTs, I was looking through T&C of SWISS and this is what I have found (and screenshot, just in case):
For SWISS
Article 10:
We will refund Tickets or any unused Flight Coupons in accordance with the applicable Tariff provisions as follows:
10.1.3 Refunds of flight tickets paid for via credit card will only be credited to the account used to pay for the tickets originally. The refund amount shall conform solely to the amount and currency specified on the flight ticket in accordance with the terms and conditions of this clause.
10.2.1 If we cancel a flight, fail to operate a flight reasonably according to schedule, fail to land at your final or Stopover destination or cause you to miss an onward flight for which you hold a confirmed reservation, we will award you a refund.

10.2.2 If no Flight Coupons have been used, we will refund the fare paid, including all taxes, charges and fees.

10.4.1 We may refuse to make a refund if you do not apply for such a refund until after the validity of the Ticket concerned has expired.

10.4.2 We may refuse a refund on a Ticket which has been presented to us or to an authority as evidence of an intention to depart from the country concerned, unless you can demonstrate to our satisfaction that you have permission to remain in the country or that you will be departing from that country on another Carrier or by another means of transport.

For LH
10.1. We will refund any unused ticket or unused portion of a ticket in accordance with the following paragraphs of this article and the relevant fare conditions:
10.2.1. We will give you a refund as set out below if we cancel a flight, fail to operate a flight according to the timetable, fail to stop at your destination or stopping places, or cause you to miss a connecting flight for which you hold a reservation:10.2.1.1. If you have not used any portion of the ticket, an amount equal to the airfare paid.
10.8. Refunds for tickets paid for with credit cards can only be credited to credit card accounts originally used for the ticket purchase. The refundable amount to be paid will, in accordance with the rules stated within this article, correspond solely to the amount and the currency entered on the ticket.
EC 261/2004 article 7/3 states that voucher is possible only after a signed agreement with the passenger.

If LX and LH decide to suddenly amend their T&C and include the voucher nonsense, attached are the current T&C that are currently in place.
Attached Images

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.