Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid19: Swiss refunds after cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2020, 1:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I have a points ticket issued by United (after I transferred Chase UR points to United) for travel on Swiss, for which I have both United and Swiss PNRs. Am I correct that I would contact United if (when) I want to cancel? If so, does this mean that none of the Swiss shenanigans need concern me?

More information. The ticket is for travel from Europe to USA in September. Although I cannot find the information on United's web site, I have email from United saying that "We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020." This sounds like I can cancel any time through July and get all the MileagePlus points, but not the UR points, back at no cost. Am I understanding all this correctly?

Thank you for helping this airline points novice.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 1:31 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
UNited issued the ticket, so their rules apply. Swiss can't touch/refund the ticket.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:03 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks, oliver2002! That's what I thought, but it's a relief to get confirmation.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by capedreamer
FWIW, it seems that LX / LH's stance (or at least attitude) has shifted in the past few days. Both are now very clear in telling me that I'm eligible for a refund and only need the OTA (Expedia) to initiate the refund request. They even said they would put something in my file so Expedia would have no doubt when I called.

Spoke to Expedia today, who indeed confirmed the note in my file and immediately initiated the refund request. Of course, they said it might take 30-60 days, but it's progress from the runaround LX / LH was giving me earlier.
What was the nature of the ticket? Was LX canceled the flight? Or the flight was within the travel waiver period, i.e. travel date by Apr 30?
I have one intra-Europe itinerary departs on May 6th, booked with Chase ultimate reward pts, so the tickets were paid by Chase Reward (OTA). LX refused to talk to me on this a few weeks ago. Flights still intact despite LX zeroed out all flights up to May 5th!
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:24 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by Happy
What was the nature of the ticket? Was LX canceled the flight? Or the flight was within the travel waiver period, i.e. travel date by Apr 30?
I have one intra-Europe itinerary departs on May 6th, booked with Chase ultimate reward pts, so the tickets were paid by Chase Reward (OTA). LX refused to talk to me on this a few weeks ago. Flights still intact despite LX zeroed out all flights up to May 5th!
LX cancelled my flights. More details here.

I haven't received the money by any means (nor am I expecting it anytime soon). But at least LX appears to be no longer trying to avoid directly addressing the refund eligibility question.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by capedreamer
I haven't received the money by any means (nor am I expecting it anytime soon). But at least LX appears to be no longer trying to avoid directly addressing the refund eligibility question.
Obviously, a voucher (if issued right away) might be more helpful than a refund that only comes in 2 months, depending whether you have plans with the airline or not...
Old Apr 8, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
Obviously, a voucher (if issued right away) might be more helpful than a refund that only comes in 2 months, depending whether you have plans with the airline or not...
Indeed and that's clearly what they're going for. But no thanks in my case.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 11:26 pm

Same here. I booked directly with Swiss. Flight cancelled, called to ask for refund and the guy never refused to that, he cancelled the booking and I got the cancellation mail, but no money back after a week. I’ve initiated chargeback with Visa, let’s see how it goes.

Cheers
Happy and capedreamer like this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 3:15 am

I have just spent my Easter Friday morning filing 4 chargebacks for LX reservations. It is some pile of paperwork (yes, Swiss institutions/companies love a bit of paper in 2020!) that will be posted on Tuesday morning. The credit card agent I spoke to said he had dealt with many clients issuing chargebacks for LX reservations - it appears LX are just making their lives more difficult at this time.

For those holding off waiting for refunds from LH/LX for months on end, I have no idea why you don’t just use chargebacks? I have given LX 7 workings days to respond/issue refund - on day 8 the chargeback is filed. Simple
Happy likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 6:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
What is the literal meaning of the verb "filed"?
Has you card issuer received the chargeback application papers?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warakorn
What is the literal meaning of the verb "filed"?
Has you card issuer received the chargeback application papers?
If this is not tone in cheek but a real question -

Filed it online? Same effect as filed it with a letter written on paper.

For US-issued credit cards, almost all banks have online option to file dispute and there are even categorized reasons / nature of the dispute, full amount or partial amount... some banks can even let you upload docs to support your dispute.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 2:50 am

Programs: PC(QR), IB, CX Marco Polo, SAA Voyager
We recently wrote to say that we cancelled our ticket ZRH-ALC (Alicante), the flight is due in 3 days' time. Received the email of cancellation. Called Swiss today and the consultant said that our information had been sent to the appropriate team for `processing' and was unable to give us an indication of how long it would take for the refund to reach us.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 4:33 am

So, Swiss continues to ignore my requests, but in the meantime a chargeback has been carried out by my bank. Don't want to have anything to do with LX/LHG for the time being. Shame on them.
Happy, ExpatSomchai and progapanda like this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by citricut
Same here. I booked directly with Swiss. Flight cancelled, called to ask for refund and the guy never refused to that, he cancelled the booking and I got the cancellation mail, but no money back after a week. I’ve initiated chargeback with Visa, let’s see how it goes.

Cheers
Just quoting myself for an update. Chargeback was approved and I have the funds back on my CC account
Happy and rossmacd like this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by citricut
Just quoting myself for an update. Chargeback was approved and I have the funds back on my CC account
Hello. Same here, however got a latter from my credit card provider that Swiss has 45 days to eventually object it. Hope they are not going to do that ...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.