Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid19: Swiss refunds after cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2020, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Why? Because they want to preserve cash.
I'd think that a lot of business and private people want to do the same - preserve cash.
Obviously, LH/LX cancelled their own flights. They collected taxes from pax, that are not turned over to the government.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 11:05 pm

Last week, Swiss call center representative told me to request a refund on the website for cancelled LX/LH flights that were supposed to happen on Apr 4. I asked her to process it herself and she told me that I gotta fill in the refund form myself. Of course, there is no refund form on Swiss website up to this date. Am I going to be eligible for the refund even after the supposed flight date?
Old Apr 1, 2020, 2:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The refund page is disabled:

https://www.swiss.com/ch/en/customer-support/refund

We are currently unable to process any kind of refund on any channel. Please be aware that our focus is currently on handling urgent requests (i.e. rebooking & cancellations). You do not need to take any immediate action and consider our special rebooking policies due to corona outbreak
The refund can be asked for at a later date even after dearture of the original flight:
https://www.swiss.com/ch/EN/various/...ng-coronavirus
  • Is a refund still possible?

Refunds are of course still possible. However, we ask for your understanding that due to the high volume of requests, it is not possible to process refunds within the usual time limits. Our priority is now with passengers who are travelling within the next 72 hours. Please contact the Service center at a later date for refund requests.
  • How to cancel my booking?

In the current corona situation there is no need for you to cancel your booking. You will also not lose any value of your ticket due to the current special rebooking conditions.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 3:44 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
As I checked some reservations I saw the normal flight plan comes back only on the 4th of May (I searched ZRH-OSL and ZRH-MAD , no flights before 04.May). Before was 19th April.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 6:09 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Yeah - the Swiss minister for health said today it would be "illusory" to think that the crisis would be over on April 19 (where the current Swiss confinement measures are supposed to end).
Pretty sure this will be prolonged until end of April at least.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 9:49 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by northernstar84
As I checked some reservations I saw the normal flight plan comes back only on the 4th of May .
This would cut the potentially dangerous mass exodus for the long weekend of 1st May. In Italy they are also talking about 4 May. I see a bigger danger for the crazy Ascension day bridge on 21 May and Whitsun early June. Especially Italy is a popular destination then.

Originally Posted by Carpacchio
Yeah - the Swiss minister for health said today it would be "illusory" to think that the crisis would be over on April 19 (where the current Swiss confinement measures are supposed to end).
The nationalist right wing SVP party already presented some ideas for gradually reinstating activities, but with border closures ongoing (which fits their general agenda). This could typically extend to early June to avoid the big weekends.

A prudent prediction is that general air travel within the EU might resume on 2 June 2020.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: Avios, Miles & More
Swiss will not be processing refunds for months it seems. Nothing is being processed for the time being. Just received the following:

Dear xx your reservation has been left open, therefore, you will need to advise us a confirm date of travel by the 31st August, 2020 and the new date of travel should be within 31st December, 2020. However, if you wish to get a refund for the ticket purchased, you will need to also advise us before the 31st August, 2020 but we cannot guarantee a time frame as to when we can process the refund, therefore, we ask for your understanding that in this current situation, we are unable to process any kind of refund on any channel. Therefore, it will take longer for the refund amount to be reflected back in the original form of payment than expected.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 5:37 am

You can now request the 50 USD Flight voucher online

For me is still not clear how this exactly works. So you get a voucher for the paid ticket Price + 50 USD? For all bookings or only canceled flights?

https://swiss.flightvoucher.com/
Old Apr 2, 2020, 5:59 am

Programs: A3 Silver
What happens if I rebook for a cheaper option?

Right now there are no sales on F tickets. I booked a companion F ticket for ~2000EUR each. What happens if I rebook to a J ticket for 1000EUR each. Do I get refunded the fare difference?

Seems like my only other option is paying 4000+ in fare difference to change to different dates.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 6:08 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
So you get a voucher for the paid ticket Price + 50 USD?
Yes.
For all bookings or only canceled flights?
The eligibility criteria (booking dates and travel dates) are pretty well described on that website. Essentially, for all tickets booked before April 19 which you couldn't use for whatever reason.

What happens if I rebook for a cheaper option?
. Good question. It is my current understanding that you would forfeit the remaining value of your voucher (AC's policy is explicit on this, for example). But I believe that you could book for multiple people with one voucher, e.g. you cancel one €2000 ticket and use the €2050 voucher to book 2 pax for €1500 each. You'd then just have to pay the €950 difference.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by airoli
Yes.The eligibility criteria (booking dates and travel dates) are pretty well described on that website. Essentially, for all tickets booked before April 19 which you couldn't use for whatever reason.

. Good question. It is my current understanding that you would forfeit the remaining value of your voucher (AC's policy is explicit on this, for example). But I believe that you could book for multiple people with one voucher, e.g. you cancel one €2000 ticket and use the €2050 voucher to book 2 pax for €1500 each. You'd then just have to pay the €950 difference.
Thanks.

can I chose a new routing?

My reservation is RAK-GVA in Economy Light 100 USD. Can I book now for example ZHR - TXL in C Class for 200 USD and just have to pay the difference of 50 USD (200 - 100 Original Ticket Price - 50 Voucher = 50 USD)
Old Apr 2, 2020, 6:34 am
CRJ

Programs: LX/LH Life Sen, QF Plat, HH Diamond
Not All Airlines Fumbling Refunds / Status Extensions

In contrast to the sentiments of this thread, only magnificent experience/service from SQ & QF:

Had approx CHF4000 hard cash refunded to Amex literally within minutes of cancelling a Singapore Airlines itinerary.
Received a generous QANTAS voucher for full value for cancelled non-refundable dirt-cheap inflexible one way sector.

Going to be interesting to see which airlines come out of these shocking circumstances retaining their client bases, particularly the status clients. QANTAS sets the bar high with (way back in mid-March) warmly/generously communicated unequivocal 12 month extensions of status... Contrast the wait-and-lets-see-how-we-can-enhance-it from LX/LH/M&M... Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised... here's hoping...

Stay safe, all.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 7:14 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Thanks.

My reservation is RAK-GVA in Economy Light 100 USD. Can I book now for example ZHR - TXL in C Class for 200 USD and just have to pay the difference of 50 USD (200 - 100 Original Ticket Price - 50 Voucher = 50 USD)
As per the Swiss website, it seems so:

What happens with my ticket if I don’t take my flight?

For tickets booked by 19 April 2020 with travel date up to 30 April 2021 the value of your ticket will remain valid even in case you don’t take your flight. In addition you can rebook once to another route within the Lufthansa Group airline’s network without a change fee. In case the new fare is above your existing ticket price you will even receive a CHF/EUR/USD 50 discount if the new departure date is up to and including 31 December 2020 (not available online).

For Swiss-only flights, it could be even done online via Manage My Bookings apparently.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 8:30 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor

Yes. But it's a one-shot. I would wait with making any new booking until the situation stabilizes.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Starcloud
Swiss will not be processing refunds for months it seems. Nothing is being processed for the time being. Just received the following:

Dear xx your reservation has been left open, therefore, you will need to advise us a confirm date of travel by the 31st August, 2020 and the new date of travel should be within 31st December, 2020. However, if you wish to get a refund for the ticket purchased, you will need to also advise us before the 31st August, 2020 but we cannot guarantee a time frame as to when we can process the refund, therefore, we ask for your understanding that in this current situation, we are unable to process any kind of refund on any channel. Therefore, it will take longer for the refund amount to be reflected back in the original form of payment than expected.
Wait seven days from your request for a refund, then file a chargeback with your credit card issuer (bank) noting that the carrier has failed to provide a refund within the time period prescribed by EC 261/2004. Supply a copy of the e-ticket receipt and the cancellation. No reason for you to wait for your cash.
cbourl, rossmacd and mmff like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.