Flight cancelled and auto rebooked

Old Mar 17, 20, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Flight cancelled and auto rebooked

I am due to be flying on Thursday, and my flight has been cancelled, but Iíve been automatically rebooked onto another, indirect, flight. How do I decline this booking and take a refund. The website will not allow me to cancel the rebooking saying I must contact the service centre,Error

There are several tickets in your booking. Online booking is therefore not possible. Kindly contact your travel agent or, if you booked your ticket directly with SWISS, your local reservation office. (55814)
There are only several tickets due to them rebooking me onto an indirect flight, however the service centre is permanently busy and I canít get through.
Old Mar 17, 20, 3:54 pm

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
Originally Posted by Flying12345 View Post
I am due to be flying on Thursday, and my flight has been cancelled, but Iíve been automatically rebooked onto another, indirect, flight. How do I decline this booking and take a refund. The website will not allow me to cancel the rebooking saying I must contact the service centre,Error

There are several tickets in your booking. Online booking is therefore not possible. Kindly contact your travel agent or, if you booked your ticket directly with SWISS, your local reservation office. (55814)
There are only several tickets due to them rebooking me onto an indirect flight, however the service centre is permanently busy and I canít get through.
I was in the same situation and I called the North American number while it was still very early in the morning there. Had to call a few times before I was in the queue and waited one hour before I talked to someone. Told them my flight was cancelled and rebooked. But I declined and wanted a refund. They processed immediately. But still waiting for refund. That will take a bit longer I guess. Good luck.
Old Mar 18, 20, 3:13 am

Programs: FB Silver, Executive Club Silver, Priority Club Plat., HH Gold
I am in a similar position, with a flight LHR-JNB via Zurich, leaving 28th March. Ticket was booked during the 2-4-1 offer in June of last year. I am ok to rebook for later in the year. If I go on-line and cancel the ticket will that cause an issue later?

Cheers,

Dave.
Old Mar 18, 20, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by davebo136 View Post
I am in a similar position, with a flight LHR-JNB via Zurich, leaving 28th March. Ticket was booked during the 2-4-1 offer in June of last year. I am ok to rebook for later in the year. If I go on-line and cancel the ticket will that cause an issue later?

Cheers,

Dave.
Yes. If you cancel the ticket you'll get a refund. Travelling later in the year will thus entail purchasing a new ticket. You should call and change the dates (there may be a fare difference).
Old Mar 18, 20, 4:37 am

Programs: FB Silver, Executive Club Silver, Priority Club Plat., HH Gold
ok - thanks, the site suggest that you can hold a booking without dates for a while. As it was a 241 it wasnt a cancellable rate.
Old Mar 18, 20, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
I may be a bit confused, but if you have the option to change dates, I would do that.
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 20, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by iamaho View Post
I was in the same situation and I called the North American number while it was still very early in the morning there. Had to call a few times before I was in the queue and waited one hour before I talked to someone. Told them my flight was cancelled and rebooked. But I declined and wanted a refund. They processed immediately. But still waiting for refund. That will take a bit longer I guess. Good luck.
Same situation here as well. I was due to fly out on Friday, and waited for any last minute cancellation. Just now Swiss rebooked my return flight on Lufthansa, so I called immediately (and on hold for less than 10min!) to ask for a refund. Full refund was processed over the phone. However it's quite concerning there's no email confirmation of cancellation/refund of the ticket, and the assistant confirmed there won't be any... iamaho have you received your refund, and how long did it take?
Old Mar 18, 20, 7:02 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG PLT (LT Gold), TK Gold, M&M S, BA Silver, Hyatt Dia
It would be interesting to know which flights you Guys were on that have been cancelled. On another point the information of the Swiss website is contradiciting itself I believe. Under the general terms:

Customers who have tickets for cancelled and also existing SWISS flights can keep this ticket without having to commit to a new flight date directly. Existing bookings will be cancelled for the time being, but the ticket and ticket value will remain unchanged and can be rebooked to a new departure date up to and including 31 December 2020

https://www.swiss.com/ch/en/various/breaking-news

Then under FAQ

I can’t take my original flight, what are my options?

If your SWISS flight is still scheduled to operate please do cancel your reservation first. The value of your ticket remains valid for a new flight date up to December, 31 2020 and you can decide how to reuse it at a later stage. Contact us again before June, 1 2020. (see current Waiver policy)
https://www.swiss.com/ch/EN/various/...ng-coronavirus

Which one is correct?
Old Mar 18, 20, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai View Post
It would be interesting to know which flights you Guys were on that have been cancelled. On another point the information of the Swiss website is contradiciting itself I believe. Under the general terms:

Customers who have tickets for cancelled and also existing SWISS flights can keep this ticket without having to commit to a new flight date directly. Existing bookings will be cancelled for the time being, but the ticket and ticket value will remain unchanged and can be rebooked to a new departure date up to and including 31 December 2020

https://www.swiss.com/ch/en/various/breaking-news

Then under FAQ

I can’t take my original flight, what are my options?

If your SWISS flight is still scheduled to operate please do cancel your reservation first. The value of your ticket remains valid for a new flight date up to December, 31 2020 and you can decide how to reuse it at a later stage. Contact us again before June, 1 2020. (see current Waiver policy)
https://www.swiss.com/ch/EN/various/...ng-coronavirus

Which one is correct?
My cancelled flight is LX340 on 29th Mar.

When Swiss cancelled a flight, then the passenger can just claim an involuntary refund. https://www.swiss.com/gb/EN/terms-co...age/article-10
ExpatSomchai likes this.

Last edited by k_cheng; Mar 18, 20 at 8:35 am
Old Mar 24, 20, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by k_cheng View Post
Same situation here as well. I was due to fly out on Friday, and waited for any last minute cancellation. Just now Swiss rebooked my return flight on Lufthansa, so I called immediately (and on hold for less than 10min!) to ask for a refund. Full refund was processed over the phone. However it's quite concerning there's no email confirmation of cancellation/refund of the ticket, and the assistant confirmed there won't be any... iamaho have you received your refund, and how long did it take?
I havenít received my refund yet and I am almost expecting them not to refund me, even though they said they would.
so I am waiting one or two weeks more, then calling the credit card company for a chargeback.
Old Mar 24, 20, 10:00 am

Update:

I have received my refund.

I called Swiss on Monday March 16 to cancel my ticket due to flight cancellation. They sent me a confirmation email of the cancellation.

I waited a few days and never received any email regarding the confirmation of refund. However, logging into my credit card today, I saw that Swiss has processed the refund on Tuesday March 17.

I guess I can consider myself lucky in this matter. Good luck to everyone who is fighting for their refunds.
ExpatSomchai and Often1 like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: