Swiss cancellation games

Old Mar 12, 20, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M FTL (*Silver), KLM/AF blue
Swiss cancellation games

So here is what happens:

I have booked flight LX 7XY on Z. April

The flight that normally operates on daily basis but currently is not bookable on any given day between now and End April. So I presume the cancelled the flight for this period and my flight is affected too...

However the flight is NOT shown as cancelled in "my bookings" - I can even change seats etc. (seatmap is almost empty)

Phoned the guys in Basle: "yes this is correct - your flight is operating but fully booked out".

I can understand that for one day - but not for an entire two months?

Essentially this means they have "zerod out" the seats on the flight i.e. they are not selling further tickets but not cancelled them (yet?)

While I can understand a bit where they are coming from, it essentially means I cannot really rely on the booking but I cannot cancel for free either - and I don't know when the will "really" cancel the flight...

I am bit bit **** by these games... not really client friendly...

And no: I cannot change the flight for free because the price for the other flight to the same destination has quadrupled since I booked the ticket...
Old Mar 13, 20, 6:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
Many flights were cancelled and pax reaccomondated on other flights which means many are quite empty while others are badly overbooked at the same time...
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 20, 3:01 pm

OP, you are right, that's what they do when they evaluate cancelations. Sometimes, a few days later, you get a cancelation notice. Sometimes, they change their mind and open up inventory again. It is highly likely that your suspicion is correct rather than a sudden increase of demand in the last two days, for next few months.
Old Mar 13, 20, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Many carriers are doing this. Either the flight is in order to be cancelled or other flights are likely to be cancelled and thus the carrier blocks all space so that it can accommodate those other passengers.

Far from "games" it represents smart and customer-friendly work during a very tough time. If it is your flight which goes, some other person will be very happen that the space on your flight is blocked.
Old Mar 13, 20, 4:38 pm

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
I'm in the same boat now. I have a ZRH-ARN on 6th April and the flight no longer appears on ExpertFlyer, it's the last leg of a ARN-ZRH-SIN-AKL-SIN-ZRH-ARN trip, I looked on FR24 and the last listed flight for that city pair is the 13th March then nothing. I leave AKL on the 31st March and have a 4 day layover in SIN before the SIN-ZRH-ARN legs. I also have a trip onwards from ARN-LHR on BA so it would make sense to change the ZRH-ARN leg to ZRH-LHR (which means I'd have to cancel the BA flight) but I guess I'll just have to wait and see what pans out. This was an ex-EU trip and the BA LHR-ARN-LHR is a separate PNR so getting into ARN on any other flight means I will miss the connection as I only have a 2h 40 min connection time.
Old Mar 17, 20, 8:54 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Expecting the issuing carrier to change your return destination from ARN to LHR is very optimistic IMO, but by all means give it a try (and report back, pls).

Most likely you will be allowed to terminate at ZRH and then getting from ZRH to LHR will be on your own dime (which I suppose would be acceptable to you in the light of the current circumstances)
Old Mar 17, 20, 2:46 pm

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
Couldn't make the change as you suggested might happen. I had the added complication in that any changes to the sectors on the SQ ticket should have been made by the original booking travel agent but they were totally unresponsive ('phone lines dead and no responses to other clients on social media email etc.) so in the end I managed to get through to SQ who took over the booking and rebooked me on LX1254 on the 5th April and, at the moment, that still seems to be scheduled to operate. Of course the added concern is that the BA flight might not take place although that too at the moment is still scheduled. As you said the fallback position if either LX1254 or BA 777 fail to operate is a new ticket at my expense from ZRH to LHR so just have to wait and see how it pans out.
Old Mar 17, 20, 3:50 pm

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
Originally Posted by Lussac View Post
Couldn't make the change as you suggested might happen. I had the added complication in that any changes to the sectors on the SQ ticket should have been made by the original booking travel agent but they were totally unresponsive ('phone lines dead and no responses to other clients on social media email etc.) so in the end I managed to get through to SQ who took over the booking and rebooked me on LX1254 on the 5th April and, at the moment, that still seems to be scheduled to operate. Of course the added concern is that the BA flight might not take place although that too at the moment is still scheduled. As you said the fallback position if either LX1254 or BA 777 fail to operate is a new ticket at my expense from ZRH to LHR so just have to wait and see how it pans out.
Are you Swedish citizen or permanent resident? Because the government of Sweden has announced that they will close the border to non-residents starting Thursday.

So even if the flight will operate, you won't be allowed into Sweden.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: