Zimmerli pajamas closest to the LX F version?

Old Jan 24, 20, 3:16 am
  #61  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: London, Paris
Programs: LH HON
Posts: 1,577
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
Sure, however if your Bally amenity kits falls to pieces & they do, your not going to take it out on Bally, if you got a Zimmerli set of PJ’s on LX & it falls to pieces, i for one would never buy Zimmerli again, horses for courses.
I don’t know. I love my zimmerli stuff and wouldn’t think negatively of the brand if my Swiss PJs fell apart. And they have already.
sophialite is offline  
Old Jan 24, 20, 3:29 am
  #62  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: ZRH / YUL
Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
Posts: 6,549
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
Sure, however if your Bally amenity kits falls to pieces & they do, your not going to take it out on Bally, if you got a Zimmerli set of PJ’s on LX & it falls to pieces, i for one would never buy Zimmerli again, horses for courses.
I would agree with this. IMHO, that is the risk brands take when signing licensing agreements with third parties to slap the brand on cheap stuff.

I don't work in this industry but it would seem that many brands find this a worthwhile trade-off - including, by circumstantial evidence, Bally and Zimmerli.
airoli is offline  
Old Jan 24, 20, 3:43 am
  #63  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 4,816
Originally Posted by airoli View Post

I don't work in this industry but it would seem that many brands find this a worthwhile trade-off - including, by circumstantial evidence, Bally and Zimmerli.
Seems insane to me if Zimmerli throw the dice like that, reputations are hard won & easily lost but we’re still non the wiser who actually controls the manufacturing of LX Zimmerli PJ’s
chris63 is offline  
Old Jan 24, 20, 4:24 am
  #64  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: CH
Programs: LX SEN
Posts: 699
Originally Posted by sophialite View Post
Airoli—I didn’t mean to drive the discussion in the direction of the tactics general luxury brands use, such as assembling an item in Italy to be able to say it’s made in Italy, or manufacturing a tiny component of an item in Italy to be able to say it’s made in Italy.

Without a doubt, almost all luxury brands do these things.

I don’t think Zimmerli is guilty of such subterfuge here. It’s just careful wording, and in no sense is there a claim that they’re handmade in Switzerland on these PJs. And the current verbiage is such that you can fool people like Chris63 who don’t have the greatest attention to detail, but I don’t find it egregious.
If Zimmerli complies with the laws and regulations to be able to claim that it is "hamdmade in Switzerland", I am fine with it, even if Zimmerli just folds and irons the pjs in Switzerland. This is the game in the luxury industry, as you stated.

But if Zimmerli does not comply with those rules and regulations for LX's pjs, I am pissed off. Zimmerli sticks its brand on LX's pjs and brags everywhere that its products are "handmade in Switzerland". As a customer, I should be able to rely on that statement and to expect that any Zimmerli branded item is handmade in Switzerland (whatever it means).

Accordingly, my expectations are that LX's pjs comply with the statement "handmade in Switzerland". If they do not, I feel screwed.
chris63 likes this.
Nic33 is offline  
Old Jan 24, 20, 4:29 am
  #65  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: London, Paris
Programs: LH HON
Posts: 1,577
Originally Posted by Nic33 View Post
If Zimmerli complies with the laws and regulations to be able to claim that it is "hamdmade in Switzerland", I am fine with it, even if Zimmerli just folds and irons the pjs in Switzerland. This is the game in the luxury industry, as you stated.

But if Zimmerli does not comply with those rules and regulations for LX's pjs, I am pissed off. Zimmerli sticks its brand on LX's pjs and brags everywhere that its products are "handmade in Switzerland". As a customer, I should be able to rely on that statement and to expect that any Zimmerli branded item is handmade in Switzerland (whatever it means).

Accordingly, my expectations are that LX's pjs comply with the statement "handmade in Switzerland". If they do not, I feel screwed.
Oh interesting. I think this is where we venture into opinion territory (i.e., now we are not debating factually whether Zimmerli makes these), but seems like not an unreasonable position to take I guess. I come out on this the other way because I just assume they're not really Zimmerli, and I have night clothes from many different manufacturers. Quality and process and provenance only really matter to me if I've actually gone out and paid a lot for it. And I'm pretty I know all of that for the items I've spent a lot of money on (and in many cases, it's why I've spent $$$ on them).
sophialite is offline  
Old Jan 24, 20, 4:35 am
  #66  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 4,816
Originally Posted by Nic33 View Post
If Zimmerli complies with the laws and regulations to be able to claim that it is "hamdmade in Switzerland", I am fine with it, even if Zimmerli just folds and irons the pjs in Switzerland. This is the game in the luxury industry, as you stated.

But if Zimmerli does not comply with those rules and regulations for LX's pjs, I am pissed off. Zimmerli sticks its brand on LX's pjs and brags everywhere that its products are "handmade in Switzerland". As a customer, I should be able to rely on that statement and to expect that any Zimmerli branded item is handmade in Switzerland (whatever it means).

Accordingly, my expectations are that LX's pjs comply with the statement "handmade in Switzerland". If they do not, I feel screwed.
Good point
chris63 is offline  
Old Jan 24, 20, 7:03 am
  #67  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Posts: 3,709
Originally Posted by airoli View Post
I would agree with this. IMHO, that is the risk brands take when signing licensing agreements with third parties to slap the brand on cheap stuff.
If a plastic mini-version of a Rimowa suitcase falls apart, I wouldn’t blame Rimowa for it too much, as it is clearly a toy-like mini-version; just like I wouldn’t refuse to buy a certain car brand just because I had a miniature toy car that was not top notch quality.

Since the LX Zimmerli PJs are not clearly identifiable mini-toy-versions of Zimmerli PJs, I would definitely “honor” terrible quality by not buying Zimmerli products.

Don’t think amenity kits and PJs are fully comparable.
chris63 likes this.
worldclubber is offline  
Old Jan 24, 20, 9:05 am
  #68  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: CH
Programs: LX SEN
Posts: 699
Originally Posted by sophialite View Post
Oh interesting. I think this is where we venture into opinion territory (i.e., now we are not debating factually whether Zimmerli makes these), but seems like not an unreasonable position to take I guess. I come out on this the other way because I just assume they're not really Zimmerli, and I have night clothes from many different manufacturers. Quality and process and provenance only really matter to me if I've actually gone out and paid a lot for it. And I'm pretty I know all of that for the items I've spent a lot of money on (and in many cases, it's why I've spent $$$ on them).
Many here would consider that they have gone out and paid a lot for a F fare and would hence believe that they should not be cheated.
chris63 likes this.
Nic33 is offline  
Old Jan 24, 20, 9:14 am
  #69  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: London, Paris
Programs: LH HON
Posts: 1,577
Originally Posted by Nic33 View Post
Many here would consider that they have gone out and paid a lot for a F fare and would hence believe that they should not be cheated.
When I buy an F ticket, I do expect pyjamas, but I don't expect them to be crafted with silk by virgins, or even to be designer.

I like the LX PJs a lot, but when you receive a 100% garment that's brand new, fresh and ready to wear, that certainly influences things. I can assure you right now, having been to India many times, items like these and of this quality rarely sell for more than $5. There's nothing to them. I look at my zim PJs/undies and compare them to my LX PJs (after both have been through the wash a few times) and there really is no comparison.

And if I was LX, I wouldn't go out of my way to pay $$$ for premium PJs. It's just a massive waste of money: Let's say 44 F flights per day, 8 per plane, 365 days a year: That's 128,000 pyjamas per year, at least. I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect zim quality here, especially since you know most travelers will chuck them in the trash or leave them behind.
sophialite is offline  
Old Jan 24, 20, 12:32 pm
  #70  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC -- UA 1K; SPG Platinum; HH Diamond.
Posts: 1,285
Wow! Lots of action in this thread.

Maybe someone should ask SWISS and Zimmerli on their Twitter accounts? I think it's a legitimate question as to whether these PJs are "MADE IN SWITZERLAND" and/or "MADE BY ZIMMERLI" --these are simple statements that you see on millions of products as opposed to all sorts of convoluted word games around it. Ultimately, I don't really care as long as the product is comfortable but I think it's fair to ask because it is implied to be similar to and a representation of the products that the company sells in the ordinary course to consumers [which is different from the "Rimowa" amenity kits---I haven't tried to pack my suit in it and check it in!!!!].
chris63, worldclubber and Nic33 like this.
NYC1 is offline  
Old Jan 24, 20, 2:57 pm
  #71  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Woodside, CA, USA
Posts: 503
Originally Posted by NYC1 View Post
Wow! Lots of action in this thread.

Maybe someone should ask SWISS and Zimmerli on their Twitter accounts? I think it's a legitimate question as to whether these PJs are "MADE IN SWITZERLAND" and/or "MADE BY ZIMMERLI" --these are simple statements that you see on millions of products as opposed to all sorts of convoluted word games around it. Ultimately, I don't really care as long as the product is comfortable but I think it's fair to ask because it is implied to be similar to and a representation of the products that the company sells in the ordinary course to consumers [which is different from the "Rimowa" amenity kits---I haven't tried to pack my suit in it and check it in!!!!].
I had no idea that what I thought was a simple question would generate 5 pages of replies. Especially without any answers to the actual question, which I'll paraphrase as "Which pajamas you can buy on Zimmerli's web site are closest to the ones given out in F on LX?"
bpratt is offline  
Old Jan 24, 20, 3:38 pm
  #72  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London | Sydney
Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ PPS, VA TCL, EK Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist
Posts: 949
Originally Posted by bpratt View Post
I had no idea that what I thought was a simple question would generate 5 pages of replies. Especially without any answers to the actual question, which I'll paraphrase as "Which pajamas you can buy on Zimmerli's web site are closest to the ones given out in F on LX?"
I was literally about to respond with “wow I can’t believe the 5 pages of utter rubbish arguing semantics without actually helping the OP that’s taken place over the last 24 hours”... but you beat me to it

I think one or two people here need to check themselves, stop turning any new post into an argument (or something in which you find fault), and actually use this forum to help others and to benefit the community.

Too often on the LH/LX forums the posts are going way off topic, and it isn’t helpful in the slightest. Nor is it interesting. Mods please can we start trying to curb this....
chris63 likes this.
vantage03 is offline  
Old Jan 24, 20, 10:24 pm
  #73  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: ZRH
Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
Posts: 1,963
Originally Posted by bpratt View Post
and I want to buy from them, I'm just having trouble figuring out which ones will be closest to the ones I already like.
If you're in Zurich I would suggest to pass the Zimmerli store and inquire there. You could also email them and ask for assistance in choosing the right PJs for you. I'm sure they will be thrilled to help you.

As for the discussion of where and how the PJs are made, both of you guys are HON, I would suggest to ask your PA for clarification. It's not certain you will receive a satisfactory response, but we could continue the discussion in a more constructive way.
As a matter of fact imho the LX F PJs are quite up to standard for me, comparing them to my usual choice of Blue Lemon. It would be very nice if they were produced in Switzerland, but as long as the quality is fine it I probably wouldn't mind that much.

On the note of the different LX PJs, I've received some dark grey ones with a collar in 2017 on the outbound to DXB, on the return it was the newer blue ones though. I first thought those were the special A340 ones, but chris mentioned that these didn't have a collar. I guess I must have been lucky to receive some of the very old stock back then

On a related note: I think I used to have an old Bally LX F nécessaire from around 2010, but sadly lost it at security in AGP. I was pretty bummed about that :/ It was quite different to the one we have now and imho quite more practical. Does anybody remember what I'm talking about? It may have also been an old C amenity kit or maybe it was just an ordinary non-airline one. Can't really remember.
Nick Art is offline  
Old Jan 25, 20, 1:23 am
  #74  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: London, Paris
Programs: LH HON
Posts: 1,577
I have no interest in continuing the debate as I think many ITT are right to be incredulous at the length. Believe me, I am too. Exasperated.

OP—Try visiting a store or reseller and comparing them to see if you find the closest match? The salespeople at stores are also usually pretty knowledgeable about what they sell. And some might even have been asked if they could buy the Swiss one so they might be able to proactively tell you what’s closest or how to source it.
sophialite is offline  
Old Jan 25, 20, 1:25 am
  #75  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 4,816
Originally Posted by Nick Art View Post
As for the discussion of where and how the PJs are made, both of you guys are HON, I would suggest to ask your PA for clarification. It's not certain you will receive a satisfactory response, but we could continue the discussion in a more constructive way.
As a matter of fact imho the LX F PJs are quite up to standard for me, comparing them to my usual choice of Blue Lemon. It would be very nice if they were produced in Switzerland, but as long as the quality is fine it I probably wouldn't mind that much.
.
LH HON PA’s have nothing to do with LX, literally & anyway I’m quite content with the Zimmerli PJ’s LX provide me with when I fly LX F.
chris63 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: