How are business class meals served?

Old Jan 15, 20, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Question How are business class meals served?

We're travelling on LX41 from LAX to ZRH. We're seated in the larger business class section, which has 11 rows. This is my first time on any international business class, so I'm curious about the meal service:

1) Do they serve the meals from a galley cart that goes from front to back and serve you what you want like they do in economy? Or do they ask for your order ahead of time and bring each order out separately?
2) If you're seated in the back, is it possible for them to run out of your first choice?
3) Do they serve mid-meal snacks? If so, what kind?

Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 20, 2:17 am

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
1) Individual service for main course, cart for starters and dessert.
2) Yes
3) I am not sure what a "mid-meal snack" is. But there are always some nibbles available in the galley between meals. There is an ice cream service on daytime flights, but not on nighttime flights.
alocsin likes this.
Old Jan 16, 20, 3:23 am

Programs: LH HON
I think it's possible for them to run out of your first choice, for sure. I've flown LX J many times, and I've never had that happen to me either as a non-status passenger or as an FTL or SEN. LAX-ZRH is also a night flight, so maybe some will opt out, making it less likely that you won't get your first choice. The flight time, however, is conducive to a meal and getting 8 hours of sleep (I find that from BOS/NYC, they're pretty mutually exclusive).

I haven't flown LX J in over two and a half years, so can't comment on whether not getting your first choice happens now more than then.
Old Jan 16, 20, 4:12 am

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
Originally Posted by sophialite View Post
I haven't flown LX J in over two and a half years, so can't comment on whether not getting your first choice happens now more than then.
I was on ZRH-YUL and BOS-ZRH very recently, seated in the last throne seat (row 10?) each time.

On both flights, by the time meal orders were taken from me (*G doesn't get priority) they were out of one main course choice. Fortunately, it wasn't what I wanted.
Old Jan 16, 20, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the information, everybody. I actually found some information on how meals are served in LX 41 here, for anyone who is interested. By the look of his boarding pass picture, he was seated in 7K, which is the first row.
https://seat38a.com/swiss-airlines-l...les-to-zurich/
Old Jan 16, 20, 8:36 am

Programs: LH HON
If the food is that important to you, understand that it is entirely unremarkable. The *A lounge in TBIT has great food and great selection, in my opinion. Eat dinner there. Sleep on take-off. Wake up for breakfast or eat breakfast in the ZRH lounges when you land.

edit: I don’t mean to downplay your first intl business flight btw. Even if remarkable it was meaningful for me to eat on my flight when I flew international business for the first time, so I guess I’m a bit jaded now. But if it’s food and quality you’re after, you’re probably best served by the lounges.
alocsin likes this.
Old Jan 16, 20, 11:34 am

Programs: United Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I'll be taking the same flight in March with my wife. I'm torn a little on dinner, as the meals are one of the things I really enjoy about being able to fly international business. We have a very long connection in LAX, so we'll probably visit both the Polaris Lounge and the Star Alliance Lounge before taking the flight, and with the relative lateness of the flight, we'll probably want to eat in the lounge(s). Maybe I'll keep it light in the lounge so that I can at least enjoy some of the in-flight dining.

I don't fly internationally very often - it's something I save my miles for, and when I do it's always a great experience (except for AC with the flat cushions). I don't think I could ever get "jaded". I'm really looking forward to flying Swiss for the first time.

Thanks for the link to the review!
trooper and alocsin like this.
Old Jan 16, 20, 3:57 pm

Programs: LX SEN
Originally Posted by sophialite View Post
If the food is that important to you, understand that it is entirely unremarkable. The *A lounge in TBIT has great food and great selection, in my opinion. Eat dinner there. Sleep on take-off. Wake up for breakfast or eat breakfast in the ZRH lounges when you land.

edit: I donít mean to downplay your first intl business flight btw. Even if remarkable it was meaningful for me to eat on my flight when I flew international business for the first time, so I guess Iím a bit jaded now. But if itís food and quality youíre after, youíre probably best served by the lounges.
I would even say that it is below unremarkable, but C (main) meals are nevertheless quite enjoyable to me. They begins with drinks, followed by a few dishes and then cheese and finish with a desert with more booze, coffee and chocolate. The process is reassuring, because it is repetitive, flight after flight, and hides no surprises. It kills time, and I may lay down like a Roman while I eat, watch the IFE, and wear no shoes.

With respect to the choice of plates, it is between bad and bad. Meat tastes like fish and conversely. Hence, I believe that it is better to get rid of the responsibility of choosing by telling the FA to bring whatever is available.
airoli and alocsin like this.
Old Jan 22, 20, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Speaking now from personal experience on our flight:
  • Appetizers and beverages were served from a cart that moved from front to back. Even though we were in the last row, there was no problem getting the appetizers that we wanted.
  • Dinner, dessert, chocolates, and breakfast were served individually.
Old Jan 22, 20, 1:01 pm

Thanks for the report. How did you find it (the experience)?
Old Jan 22, 20, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nic33 View Post
Thanks for the report. How did you find it (the experience)?
Very enjoyable, since it was our first international business class experience. The food, in general, was excellent, certainly better than in economy. The chocolates were superb and the meat dishes were tasty. The Swiss cheeses were the most disappointing parts -- somewhat bland and tasteless.

I also thought that the crew was friendly and attentive without being intrusive. Their facility with English, German, French, and Italian was impressive. Just for fun, I would speak to our FA in each of those languages, and he would respond in the appropriate language without batting an eye

If I ever get around to documenting this trip in my blog, I'll post a link here.
Old Jan 22, 20, 2:22 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by alocsin View Post
Very enjoyable, since it was our first international business class experience. The food, in general, was excellent, certainly better than in economy. The chocolates were superb and the meat dishes were tasty. The Swiss cheeses were the most disappointing parts -- somewhat bland and tasteless.
Interesting to hear about the cheese - I generally am rather disappointed with any cheese on a US departure, so not that surprising. In the other direction they're usually reasonable.
Old Jan 22, 20, 4:35 pm

I agree. Cheeses on outbound flights are ok, if not the best item of the meal. From the US, I avoid them, but, generally, cheeses are not the best part of US gastronomy.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: